Best deals on .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best deals on .308

I’m thinking about getting rid of one of my .270s to try and get into a smaller round for my son. Any idea on who’s got the best deals on a .308

Thanks

TC compass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Corey I have the deal of a life time for you.

Pm inbound............

Comment

I don't have any leads on a .308 but I did exactly the same thing when my son wanted to graduate from a .223. I bought a used Remington 700 .308, cut down the stock & used Remington Managed Recoil bullets the first year. I slipped full strength in on him the second year & it didn't bother him. Now fast forward, he is 22 years old, 6'1", 180# & will always grab that cut down .308 to go deer hunting even though he has better options. " It's the deer slayer Dad". He has taken quite a few deer with that gun.

Comment

Am I missing something here?
          The .270 is based on the 30-06 round and is considered a long action.
          The .308 is smaller in OAL and less powerful and considered a short action.

Cartridge Type: 308
          Height: 2.015"
          Width: 0.473"
          Average FPS: 2681
          Average Energy: 2617
          Average Gr: 164
          Recoil: 1.95
          Power Rank: 4.4 of 20

The 270
          Cartridge Type: Rifle
          Height: 2.54"
          Average FPS: 3536
          Average Energy: 3775
          Average Gr: 136
          Recoil: 1.82
          Power Rank: 4.81 of 20

IMO the 270 is a better cartridge than the .308.
          I would stick with the 270 and if you want more power. Go to the 30-06 cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post

The 270

I would stick with the 270 and if you want more power. Go to the 30-06 cartridge.

OP wants to go with a less powerful round. Good info on 270 & 308.

Comment

Yup i did miss something...duh.

Comment

Originally posted by 9452772 View Post
                OP wants to go with a less powerful round. Good info on 270 & 308.
                X2 thanks for the Side by side info though very informative

Comment

For whitetail mainly? Just tossing out ideas what about a .243, you could make it a dual purpose gun for him and it’s a great varmit round

Comment

About 5 years ago, my son got interested in getting a deer rifle. We had a lot of discussions about different rifles - brands, barrel length and configuration, action types, calibers, etc. I'm old school and told him that in my opinion, for hunting hogs and whitetail deer - especially in Central Texas, you would do fine with a rifle chambered in either .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester, or 30.06 Springfield. My personal favorite center fire rifle cartridge is .308 Winchester, and my favorite rifle in that caliber is a 99c Savage (lever action). Yes, I know there are other calibers and rifles that are "superior", but that's what I like and use.

Currently, we live in the age of the cheap rifles. All of the major manufacturers like Remington, Savage, Ruger, Mossberg, etc. make their version of a very affordable bolt action rifle - usually in a synthetic stock, and with a cheap but adequate scope. These usually go on sale at the major sporting good stores right before deer season, and continue through December - no doubt for Christmas sales. We bought our son a Remington 783 bolt gun chambered in .308 Winchester. He shoots 150 gr. ammo - usually Remington Core-Lokt and has killed numerous hogs and deer with it. If I recall correctly, we paid around $230.00 for it about 5 years ago, and I've seen the same rifle, now with a scope included, go on sale for around the $250.00 price range. We've had no problems with his Remington, but that being said, if I had to buy one today, I'd probably go with a Ruger instead because I like Rugers, and they have excellent customer service.

Best of luck,

Dave

Comment

Savage Axis...great gun for a kid and accurate as hail..

Also many times Savage will run rebates on it and you can save even more. I think I was in for just under $200 after a $100 rebate on my 22-250. And it is a shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by bk913 View Post
                        For whitetail mainly? Just tossing out ideas what about a .243, you could make it a dual purpose gun for him and it’s a great varmit round
                        I think this is the route I'd go personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post

The 270

You better let Winchester know their Model 70 .308 is a short action.

I ordered parts for a short action....didn't fit. Had to buy the long action parts.....cornfusing as hail!

Also, .308 is the best round ever developed×
                          Last edited by Traildust; 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Another vote for .243. My grandfather gave me a 6mm rem (pretty much a .243) when I was 7 or 8 years old. I still use it to this day. It has killed many whitetail, mule deer, coyotes, and hogs. One day I'll retire that old rifle in a special display case and build another 6mm rem for hunting.

If I could only have one rifle for Texas it would be a .243 or a 6mm remington.

Comment

Its been awhile since I shot a .270 so I cant give you much feedback on that round but I can tell you my .308 has some kick to it and that's on a semi auto AR platform. I would imagine a bolt action would have a little more kick to it. Have you thought about a 6.5?

Comment

Working...
                              X