No announcement yet.

What Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for .300 Win Mag, been my go-to for 45 years. Or move up to a .375 H&H and be prepared to hunt anywhere in the world.

Comment

Which 7mm do you have?

Regardless, a .30 cal would round you out nicely.

.30-06 if you want conventional, .300 PRC if you want modern.

Comment

Keep it simple. 308

Comment

Originally posted by meangreen04 View Post
          I love the .270 Win, but my vote is for .308 Win.
          X2, ive knocked a lot of stuff down with my .270 but would go with .308 considering what he has already.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses at this time i am between a 30 nosler and 300prc. i have plenty of time to pick as i am in no rush.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
              Maybe don’t focus on the caliber as much as what style of rifle you would like to have.
              Then go from there with what caliber would make sense.

When I did mine I wanted a do all, I had a .280 but I couldn’t call it a do all rifle because it’s sentimental and a “pretty” rifle so I stick to stand hunting with it. So for an all weather do all I decided the 280ai made sense because I would be reloading for it eventually and components are mostly interchangeable.

My vote is a 30 caliber or a big thumper based off a 30-06 case.

30-06 (30-06ai)
              300 win
              338-06
              35 Whelen
              Outside of the .308, id go with a 35 Whelen. necked up 30-06 with better ballistics at range.

Comment

What Caliber

30 PRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What Caliber

The problem with the 30 Nosler is the same problem as the 300WM has. They are not set up to run the long, heavy bullets and most factory rifles won’t have a fast enough twist to run the heavy bullets.

And although I’m not one to whine about ammo prices or availability but the Nosler ammo is expensive and hard to find. Even brass runs $2+ per case.

Finally, the Long Range Only forum did a test against the Nosler and the Win Mag and the Win Mag performed at the same or slight higher level than the 30 Nosler.

I won’t own anything that Hornady makes and over hyped so I’ll personally never own a PRC.

In 30 caliber the old tried and true 308 and 300 Win Mag have killed a lot of stuff.

A lot of the concerns of the 30 Nosler and 300 Win Mag go out the window if you are planning to build a custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Mike D; 12-01-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X