What Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsig View Post
    So let me start off by saying I really don't need a new gun. I feel what I currently own will take care of pretty much anything I want to do. With that being said I really want to build a high end gun. I am just not sure what caliber I want. I own a .223/.556, .243, .257WBY, 7mm I primarily hunt east tx with the occasional trip to south tx or west tx. What should I build? leaning toward a 30 caliber just not sure which one.
    you got a bunch of itty bitty bullet slingers,,, go big or don't go at all,,, something 40 caliber or larger,, like the 45-70!

Comment

Since you reload, I'd go 338 Lapua.....cause you can. Almost every old redneck has a 300wm, but 338 Lapua, nope.

Comment

30-06. You can’t be a hunter or gun owner and not own one. There’s a reason ammo is readily available everywhere over 100 years later.

Comment

I'll throw some fun ones out there.

.257 Roberts, .284 Win, 30-06AI, or .300 H&H.

Edit to add:
          A 35 Whelen could be fun too!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post

Edit to add:
            Love me some 300 H&H.

Comment

New caliber out, 6.8 winchester western.
              Has the long range and accuracy of a 6.5 creedmore but with the punch of a 300 win mag

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post

Edit to add:
                No way on a .257 Roberts very low energy out past 250 yards unless you reload
                Thanks for using the external ballistic calculator from GunData.org that accurately details all aspects of the bullets trajectory the millisecond it leaves the guns barrel.

Comment

325 WSM. Just to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm building one on a long action 700 action that I have. I have been going over this for years, researching calibers and such. I always come back to .30-06. .280 AI and .270 Win where high on the list of considerations too.

Comment

30-06 you will find ammo if you don't reload

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

.270 and u can kill what u want on this planet.

Comment

Above I said 338 rcm. Looking as you already have a 257 and 7mm I didnt see a need for a 270 or 300 wm for east texas as the 257 and 7mm will do everything those will do. I am normally a 257, 270 7mm kind of guy but this year I pulled out a 260 that my wife bought me a few years back and killed 2 deer with it and a hog. Pretty impressed with the mild recoil and all 3 were pass through shots, hog dropped in its tracks and both deer i hit right on the back edge of shoulder and ran 15-20 yards with blood trails a blind man could follow. I am shooting the 140 grain federal game king ammo. Since you said you reload you may look at a 260ai, just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                            Since you reload, I'd go 338 Lapua.....cause you can. Almost every old redneck has a 300wm, but 338 Lapua, nope.
                            I’ve seen a book brown bear shot with a .338 Lapua and another buddy of mine shot a moose at 900 yards(one shot) with one. With the muzzle brake It didn’t kick at all. Think they said It was like $6/shot though lol. Bad @ss rifle.

Comment

30-06

Comment

For a single choice on a 30 caliber, I favor a 300 win mag

Comment

Working...
                                X