3000fps out of 20”bbl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3000fps out of 20”bbl?

Starting to think about my next custom rig. I currently have an APR in 280ai with a 25” tube. Love the gun, just can’t get used to the length with my can on. So I am wanting something a little shorter to run my suppressor on. I am really wanting 3000fps out of a 20” tube with a 130-160 gr bullet. Would possibly step up to 22” but that would be the max. I don’t reload myself, but usually use Copper Creek or Hendershots to do load development and loading for me. I am thinking about a couple of options:

300wsm with a 150gr.

7 SAUM with a 140gr

Possibly the 6.8 Western with a 140-150.

Anybody run any of these out of a 20” tube? I know they will not be very efficient but not too concerned about that. Any other suggestions I should look at?

I know a 7-08/.308 probably makes the most sense here, but really wanting a little more horsepower.

I'm thinking of doing this exact same thing. I've got a 6.5 PRC Tikka with a WTO switchlug...I'm prolly gonna go the 300 WSM route with 150 grain Accubonds...that should get me over the 3,000 fps threshold

Comment

Why are you stuck on 3000 fps? Are you shooting super long range? I kill a lot of animals with a 6.5 with 140-143 grain bullets at 500 to 600 yards. 2800 fps.
      Just curious.

Comment

The 7mm Rem Ultramag shows loads that are slightly over 3500 fps. with a 130 grain bullet. In a 24 inch barrel. Given the 100 fps. loss per inch rule, and the likelihood that that cartridge would lose a little more than 100 fps. per inch, that one might make it. Not many rounds are going to make that requirement. I didn't look to see what the 300 ultramag might do. Another one that might make it would be the .30/378. Lots of muzzle blast, not really efficient and abbreviated barrel life....With a 22 inch barrel, it would be lots easier. You could use cartridges that are more efficient, and lose less fps. per inch. .300 WSM would probably make it, along with the .300 win mag, maybe 7mm WSM.
        Last edited by softpoint; 11-16-2021, 06:50 PM.

Comment

.300 RCM? Suppose to be efficient in a short tube

Comment

I know it's not 3k fps, but I really like the idea of the 7 SAUM pushing 180's around the 2,800 fps range in short barrel rigs. They'll hang with the energy of the faster 140s for the first couple hundred yards, then surpass them as range increases. They also buy you some forgiveness in the wind, which is never a bad thing. Its just hard to find a more versatile combo in the 20"-22" range that packs that much punch but maintains it's "shootability" and manners.

Comment

6.5 Sherman short, 3000fps with a 20’ barrel
              Or
              7 SAUM seems to have a reputation for not giving up too much velocity out of short barrels, and is easy to hand load for.
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-16-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                I know it's not 3k fps, but I really like the idea of the 7 SAUM pushing 180's around the 2,800 fps range in short barrel rigs. They'll hang with the energy of the faster 140s for the first couple hundred yards, then surpass them as range increases. They also buy you some forgiveness in the wind, which is never a bad thing. Its just hard to find a more versatile combo in the 20"-22" range that packs that much punch but maintains it's "shootability" and manners.
                I’d listen to this logic if’n I were y’all.

Comment

I'm a novice at this but does a suppressor add any velocity to it? I forgot to add in my post that I would like to use one if I built a 20" cannon

Comment

i wont say what the charge was but i have hit 3174 out of a 30-06 with a 22" tube,,and 150 gr ,,, i did back it down to a very nice 3050 fps cutting 7/16" groups at 100 yards with only a 7x scope.... dont rule out the old warhorse, especially if you put a little free bore in the barrel,,, i did not have any in mine

it's usually about 50 fps per inch within a certain length. 100 fps is a little extreme for 1" barrel length but some cartridges and powders might do it

Comment

My APR 22" 260ai is pushing 3k fps with Barnes 127 LRX bullets.
                      I'm still in load development, but it has very mild recoil with my can on it.

Comment

The short fat cases like the 300WSM have the most efficient powder burn and should do the best in short barrel guns since they usually use slightly faster burn rate powders than long cases. W760 and H414 are what I load all my short magnums with and they all will exceed 3000 fps with mid range heavies 140, 165 and 200 gr.
                        7mmWSM, 300WSM and 338WSM. Barrel lengths are 20", 22" and 26" respectively.
                        Attached Files

Comment

7mm RUM
                          Sherman Max

Comment

Run ballistics on the difference in 2800 and 3000 FPS. The amount of barrel life loss pushing that hard to achieve that in a short barrel isn’t worth it in my opinion. I’m running a 24” prc and a 22” 6 creed. Both with a dead air nomad. I’m not hotrodding either of them. You’d be surprised how little difference there is. Now say comparing a 140 6.5 Berger at 2900 and a 180 284 Berger at 3075? Yes. Big gains .

Don’t get too wrapped up in the speed. It’s important. But not to the point of torching barrels right and left.

I agree on the 300 WSM and the 7 SAUM being what you seek.

Comment

I have a 700 Ti in 7 SAUM and am getting 3045 with 140 grain TTSX's and a 24" tube. Using 59.0 of IMR 4350/Fed 215. I've tried getting more speed out of mine, but keep running into pressure issues.

Tagged for more information.

Comment

Working...
                              X