No announcement yet.

The hay field plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you will get a stand. Nice thread.

Comment

Looks good, congrats on the success... It's good to see good people working and having it pay of for them!!!

Comment

View of hay field looking across a dry creek , from plot side. Ended up with 216 rolls.

You can see the matting that the pipeline "tree huggers" put in last week. They rutted up the easement just getting to it. They drove trucks down there instead of UTV's. It's gonna cost them more to repair the ruts, than they thought they where gonna save with this matting....lol

Another pic of the oats. I hope the deer will jump into the pen. I haven't had good luck with that so far. Maybe the greenery will do draw them in!

Comment

Looks good!

The first year I planted oats when I bought my place they didn't eat it well and were not used to coming in to that plot to eat. They ate at night some but not much during the day. The next couple of years were better and better. Now they have had four years to get accustomed to feeding in that spot knowing there will be food in there and they hammer it pretty dang good.

One thing that has helped is I let everything grow up around it to give it privacy to make them feel secure coming in during daylight hours.

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I've been wanting to do this for several years, and really got inspired this year when I found Uncle's thread.

I plan to keep this thread rolling year after year.

Comment

Did a little plot protection last night.

We got 2" of rain yesterday. We got all the hay moved out of thee pasture, but I hauled the last load in the pouring rain! Glad we got it done too, cuz the ground is awfull spongy now.

It finally quit raining around 4 yesterday. I decided to go on a walk with my bow to see what was moving. This was around 6 pm. The plan was to walk from my plot to a feeder, which is down a ROW, with woods on both sides. BTW, the oats are twice what the last pic shows!!!

Anyway, I take off, and right away I hear pigs in the woods. I take a knee behind some tall palmettos. I go ahead and draw, becuase they are close! A nice sow steps out 5 yds from me, and stops briefely. She doesnt see me, but knew something wasnt right. She trots to 20 yds & thwack!!! Grimm Reaper buried to the fletch! She bolts & I knock another arrow as more pigs run out.

I come to full draw again just as another one stops. I quickly judge 30 yds, find the yellow pin, and send the arrow. Just as I release, she steps forward!! Elevation was perfect.....but too far back = Guts. Easy pass thru though. Arrow is nasty with a little blood.

As I am cleaning the dirty arrow off in a water puddle, I notice a big boar at the end of the ROW. He is easing over to the feeder. I snuck down to the feeder hoping for another shot, but he wasnt there. I think he was hiding out with plans to hit the feeder after dark.

I went home and ate a little dinner, and returned with my dog. Moose is 2 years old, and never been on a blood trail. I showed him the first bit of blood, and he seemed interested. I had a visual of blood the whole time, but I let him lead me. He slowly followed the trail all the way to the pig. I'm not real sure how far the pig ran, maybe 50 yds. The brush was thick, and there was no light, so what seemed like a long walk might not have been

One of my favorite parts of the whole experience was the reflective tape I had on my arrow. I picked up some DOT trailer reflective stickers from walmartz last year, and put some on an arrow. Let me tell you...that stuff picks up the light! I highly recommend the stuff for a low cost, easy way to find your arrows at night. I doubt I would have found it without the tape.

Whats inside?
              The grimm reaper hit ribs dead on, on both sides! Busted thru them both, but didnt pass completely thru. Shot was a tad high, catching lungs, and most of the blood was sitting low in the chest cavity. When I got to the pig, lungs where sticking out the entrance hole! You can see it in the pics.....

Sorry if this was too long....It's my first recovered pig-bow kill. I was pretty exited last night!
              Attached Files

Comment

That is awesome. I remember several years ago finally recovering a pig a shot with my bow. Now that I aim lower on them, I find most of them.

Comment

very good... I put my oats in about 10 days ago... willl check on them later this week... I hope they look as good as yours do..... BTW the deer will jump that pen no problem...

Comment

Caught some more piggys with their hands in the cookie jar last night.

Lit a burn pile off too
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice. Doing some good work!

Comment

Did a quick drive by this evening .....feels awesome outside!

Comment

Out of curiosity is it possible to kill all of those palmettos growing in your food plot? I don't know anything about them.

Comment

Yes sir there is....
                            Back in the day about the only thing you could do was pour some diesel at the base of the plant. But about 5 years ago DuPont came out with a chemical called Cimmaron Max. This stuff works great. It's pricey though.

Also, you can't mow for a couple years once u start spraying. You have to give it time to work into the roots. Haven't mowed my place in 2 years, some parts 3.

Comment

looking good!

Comment

Looking good Phillip

Comment

Working...
                                X