Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting over supplemental feed locations??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting over supplemental feed locations??

Do any of y'all hunt over your supplemental feed locations or leave it alone? I can see some pros and cons to both, but curious as to what y'all may or may not be doing.

Yes. I have my supplemental feeder next to my corn feeder.

Comment

We do both, I typically have protein at my stand set ups, but also have a few satellite protein stations that we do not hunt over and leave alone.

Comment

Yes we do. Some ranches I’ve been on have “sanctuaries” that are just feed stations that do not get hunted. Personally I think that’s a little over kill unless you are over hunting the setups. All of our feed pens have protein feeders and there will be maybe 1-3 bullets/arrows max shot at deer on a given year at each of our pens. That’s not worth the cost of setting up extra setups for just feed stations for us.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
          Yes we do. Some ranches I’ve been on have “sanctuaries” that are just feed stations that do not get hunted. Personally I think that’s a little over kill unless you are over hunting the setups. All of our feed pens have protein feeders and there will be maybe 1-3 bullets/arrows max shot at deer on a given year at each of our pens. That’s not worth the cost of setting up extra setups for just feed stations for us.

This is my second season on an archery only lease. I have approx 130 (+/- 10) acres all to myself so the pressure will be very minimal but I'm aware that it does not take much intrusion for a mature buck to vanish. I recently set up a spincast corn feeder in one hunting location and will be adding a free choice feeder in the same area . I'm also considering adding a second free choice feeder about 600 yards away that may or may not be hunted.

Comment

I hunt over mine.

Comment

We have a corn feeder and protein feeder at our deer blinds and have 1 protein feeder in the middle of the property that we don't hunt.

Comment

I generally don’t. However late season when I am trying to target specific deer, I hunt a blind that is about 250 yards from a supplement feed pen.

Comment

Yes. We put one next to all our corn stations

Comment

Originally posted by DKW II View Post
                    We do both, I typically have protein at my stand set ups, but also have a few satellite protein stations that we do not hunt over and leave alone.
                    This.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post

Agree with the above 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We hunt over corn feeders and and have 4 different protein stations that we don't hunt over. It may be better that way for growing big bucks, but who cares how big your bucks are if you can't kill them. In my experience other people in our area who hunt over their protein feeders have a lot more success putting arrows consistently in mature bucks than us and others just hunting over corn. If it were up to me I'd put my protein feeders in pens with my corn feeders like a lot of y'all.

Comment

Also as mentioned it would be more convenient/ cheaper having less feed sites when it comes time to fill feeders, manage cameras, buy supplies ect....

Comment

Spinners and corn right before and during deer season. Remove and put on drop tubes and fill with protein remainder of year. 2000 lb feeders Never a problem

Comment

I don't see the problem with it. Deer are spooked daily, and i don't understand how a couple of shots during a 3-4 month period will keep them from being comfortable at the feeder.

Comment

Working...
                              X