No announcement yet.

Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes he’s definitely got the spots on him.
    There’s another cat out there that has spots like a cheetah all over its body, that’s my target cat for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
      I just got my first traps. I got a package from Minnesota Trap with Bridger #2 dogless offsets. I wanted MB 550’s but they are hard to find now. I’ve been reading on Trapperman and watching YouTube videos. I’m ready to graduate from snares to real traps!

I can’t wait to set some dirt hole and flat traps!! I’ve got an endless supply of bones, deer/javelina/pig parts for lures and bait.

What do y’all think a mountain lion would do to a #2 with a swiveled earth anchor?
      I bought (6) Bridger #2 dogless offsets a couple years ago. They work great on coyote and bobcats in S. Texas. Doubt it will hold a lion though. I normally just set my out on weekend trips. Set on Friday and pull on Sunday. I've been pretty successful setting them around water troughs since it has been so dry. A good dirt hole with some bait and lure works great. Good luck. It is addicting once you start catching them.

Comment

Big kitty! And beautiful!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody checking the traps in this iced up weather?

Comment

I caught 6 coons last weekend!

Comment

We were planning to go set a few for this last weekend, weather moved in sooner than expected so we're done for the season it looks like.
              We'll probably hunt a few coyotes still.
              This is the highway we take to the property, not a good sign for trapping.
              Did get our coyote hides dried for the buyer if he can get into town tomorrow.
              We're going up today to check on things but no traps getting set.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wytex that may be what it looks like in East Texas Monday or Tuesday

Was 25 here this morning which for us is about as low as normal and by Monday or Tuesday it is supposed to be single digits for lows

Comment

We were expecting the snow tonight. Woke up to 3 degrees this morning, the cold finally came over the mountain to us. High today of 16 dropping all weekend after that.

Hope you all don't get too much, a little is fun but several inches could cause big problems down there.
                  Stay safe folks !

By the way, the high fence is a WG&F research facility, they have some nice bulls on that pen.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I’ve been curious, what dirt do y’all use?
                    If unable to use the same dirt you dug out to set your trap in, then what dirt would you use instead?

My soil is all clay. So it’s terrible to use, and it’s also not the best to put anchors into as well.

I’ve had anchors in at 16 inch and 24 inches deep, and not in very good. So i use 2 anchors a trap instead of one.

Comment

Try to find you some dry dirt same color as your trapping ground, more sand in it maybe.
                      We also make and use wax dirt due to our cold temps all winter.
                      Spouse will gather a bucket full of dry dirt from the creek bank and keep it dry and make some wax dirt also for bedding when we know it will snow and then be sunny.
                      You need the flake wax to make wax dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                        I'm ready to get started.
                        Apparently not. Can't seem to get motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
                          I’ve been curious, what dirt do y’all use?
                          If unable to use the same dirt you dug out to set your trap in, then what dirt would you use instead?

My soil is all clay. So it’s terrible to use, and it’s also not the best to put anchors into as well.

I’ve had anchors in at 16 inch and 24 inches deep, and not in very good. So i use 2 anchors a trap instead of one.

I use as much of the dirt from the hole as possible for bedding the trap, but I fill in around the inner portion and pan with PEAT i bought from the hardware store. Then I sift a small amount of local dirt over that to blend it so it doesn't appear different.

Comment

Thanks for the info about the dirt.

I sure am glad to have removed the traps before this ice storm hit. Will reset them back once it all settles down some.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job hogmess

Comment

Working...
                                X