No announcement yet.

Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some times we will spring the traps and leave them next to where we had them set, just set the trap in a bush or something, most of ours are on chains or drags.

Going up this morning to check and then we're pulling all traps tomorrow morning and meeting a fur buyer Saturday evening.
    One guy offered us $400 for our cats and coyotes, passed on that deal.

Comment

[QUOTE=BTLowry;15421551]I don't know any way to leave a trap set and avoid a catch, maybe someone does and will chime in. Otherwise I would have a quick connect on the chain if using an anchor so you could pull trap and just reset in same spot when you return

I wasn't planning on leaving them set but just leaving them still anchored in the ground and tripped. But I like your idea of using a quick connect so we can leave the anchor but take the trap. Appreciate the info!

Comment

I would suspect gunshot or got it in a trap
        Most critters are much tougher than us humans [/QUOTE]

I bet your right about getting shot off. I used to kill a coyote just about every year that was missing a leg, I’d show people and they’d say it was from chewing out of a trap. I’ve been coyote trapping 30+ years and never had one chew out. Funny thing is they always look healthy, even though they were short one running gear.

Comment

I found one dead last year that was missing part of a back leg. Then later found pics of it on trail cam.
          99% sure it was one I took a shot at up behind the house trying to get a chicken

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
            I would suspect gunshot or got it in a trap
            Most critters are much tougher than us humans
            I bet your right about getting shot off. I used to kill a coyote just about every year that was missing a leg, I’d show people and they’d say it was from chewing out of a trap. I’ve been coyote trapping 30+ years and never had one chew out. Funny thing is they always look healthy, even though they were short one running gear.
            ...or snare maybe

Comment

In just to follow the trappings......cool thread fellas.

Comment

Pulled put traps this morning. Might put out a few along the road over Feb. for cats but depends on snow.
                Found several inches of snow when we went up to check.
                Looks like a sly dog gave us the slip. He checked the scent post set and the cat set up the creek, missed both traps. After he had walked right up the 2 track we take to set and check.

On positive, all the sets triggered when we pulled them, none were frozen. Thank the wax dirt for that.
                Crossed some very fresh mt lion tracks coming out of the meadow so we check the quota and maybe go call and see if we can get on it. Looks like an immature male or female from the size.

Need the snow badly but timing was not great for us.
                Attached Files

Comment

Well our fluffy hides are gone now, fur buyer liked them all.
                  We made good money even though the market on cats in low right now.
                  Here's the price breakdown on our sale.
                  The buyer really liked our put up too.
                  Bobcats had nice spots and belly color and he really was impressed with the big tom.

Buyer did say the big tom would be worth hundreds more on any other year.

Guessing we may trap a bit in Feb. just to get another bobcat or so and a coyote or 2 to tan and sell if snow allows us.
                  Now we can also afford some more good coyote traps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wytex congratulations on the fur check, it’s always nice to cash in something you enjoy!
                    Last edited by Trapper76; 01-24-2021, 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Congrats wytex

I would guess 50 Texas coyotes might get close to that

Comment

Bummer that the market is that bad for western cats. It makes ours in MN nearly worthless!

Comment

maybe is missed something, but the price breakdown comes to $815, not $715?

Comment

You're right Houston, spouse didn't check his math but the buyer is making it right.
                            Guy had a rough drive across I-80 in a snow storm so he was pretty tired by the time he pulled in that evening. Contacted him and another check is on the way.
                            That extra $100 will buy us some more traps for next year.

He did say the big tom was the most he had paid this year for a cat, and he really likes our put up, that got us a few extra dollars for each hide.

Spouse said he pulled in with a cattle trailer full of green coyotes, frozen tails streaming out the side windows. Bet that looked interesting going down the highway.

Comment

I started putting my cell cams on my traps so don’t have to go check them everyday. I go to work in the dark and get home in the dark. Got some cool pics today . Caught a yote, and another yote came and checked him. Then a pig pig came and beat him up pretty bad. I am changing my cameras to video.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Pretty cool

That is why a lot of the professionals put out additional traps at a location, catch the ones that come around investigating their trapped kin

Comment

Working...
                                X