No announcement yet.

Diesel Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 F350 C/C FX4 LB with the 7.3 gasser and 10 speed. 3.73 gearing. MPG is ok, really do not watch what it is as I did not buy this truck for the mileage.

Plenty of power and fun to drive. Do not tow a lot except for the occasional 16 flat bed with my 32 horse Kubota, shredder and bucket on it. No problems at under 30,000 miles so far.

3.55 gearing would get better mileage.

At the time I bought mine, Ford offered the 4.30 or 3.55 in the F250. That is the reason i went with the F350 to get the 3.73 plus I wanted a long bed and it is almost impossible to find a long bed in either the F250 0r F350 in a color other than white and i did not want a white truck!

Comment

Who woulda thunk "what's the best diesel" thread would have people posting that all three are the best and all three are the worst. Although there seems to be some level of agreement on the GM...

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
        High output Ram diesel with the Aisin transmission is a torque monster. The power is crazy. The Ford 10 speed is very nice but the service trucks we have are all newer than 2017 and the motors are junk. They are under a load all the time and have just over 130k miles average on them. One motor completely blew up at 125k miles. Several other knock and leak like a Siv.
        Spot on. I've owned 15 diesels personally over the years. I'm an equipment manager for a fairly large construction company. We've tried everything. Every manufacture has good and bad year models with their fair share of issues. Currently the best choice is a high output Cummins with the Aisin. Ideally you delete it with a single tow tune and you're good to go. The guys driving power strokes are the guys who trade them in once the warranty goes out. Same with the new duramaxes. You almost never see a high mileage 6.7 powerstroke or new duramax. High mileage cummins are all over the road.

Comment

CP3's were wonderful fuel pumps. CP4s are known to grenade with bad fuel, trashing entire fuel system. High PSI has been around along time, not a good excuse for a poorly designed pump.

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
          It won’t matter. When you are dealing with 30,000 psi injection systems that inject up to 5 injections on the compression stroke, the whole system is overloaded.
          Think about this. If it averages 2 injections per compression stroke, at 100,000 miles….your fuel system actually has 200,000 miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            I see more Fords broke down on the side of the road. Just an observation
            There are way more of them on the road than any other truck would be my guess.

I have in my fleet 30 Ford diesel trucks, very few if any problems with them at all. I have two Internationals and nothing but issues with them, 4 GMC's and they have been great mechanically but the interior does not last. I would not buy a Dodge if my life depended on it, great motor surrounded by pure garbage on all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
              Spot on. I've owned 15 diesels personally over the years. I'm an equipment manager for a fairly large construction company. We've tried everything. Every manufacture has good and bad year models with their fair share of issues. Currently the best choice is a high output Cummins with the Aisin. Ideally you delete it with a single tow tune and you're good to go. The guys driving power strokes are the guys who trade them in once the warranty goes out. Same with the new duramaxes. You almost never see a high mileage 6.7 powerstroke or new duramax. High mileage cummins are all over the road.
              2012 6.7 with 390k and just replaced the turbo. That's the only major issue I've had so far. Maybe I'm the exception. If so, I'm glad I am!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Only issues I have with my 2015 duramax are due to not driving it enough.

Comment

get a 6.4 Megacab Hemi and you will love it. My 2020 with 4.10 gears and 35 inch tires still got an average of 13-14mpg

Comment

People leave the Ram mirrors up because it's too danged inconvenient to manually flip back and forth.

HOWEVER, for 2023, Ram is finally changing the mirror design and it appears they will be like the Ford and GM units.

It's been four model years since its last major mid-cycle-action (MCA), but the Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty pickups continue to be quite competitive against the new competition from Ford and General Motors (GM). Over the past decade, the truck market has played a constant battle between the three automakers over bragging rights about towing, payload, and technology. And it doesn't look like it is going to slow down any time soon.

I'll be buying in 2023 when we come back home, and right now if it's diesel, it'll be a 3500 Cummins HO/Aisin. If gas, it'll be a 7.3 Super Duty.

Comment

Ok, why in the Hell did Ram build the 2500 Power wagon and then limit the towing compacity to less than some half ton trucks. Makes not sense. It comes with the 6.4 hemi but sucks pulling weight. Also the front seat only comes with a fold down bench rest seat and no center console. Great looking truck other than that.

Comment

Flexible suspension made for off road not hauling a load

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                          Got pushing 220k on my 14 f250 6.7 I'd say at least 150l of those miles were pulling. Most of the time it's a 289 or 299 cat skid back there.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                            this is exactly why I keep coming back to Gas in my mind. I start to talk myself into going with a Diesel, then all that you posted comes back to me and makes me lean toward a gasser. I really like the Ram 2500 with the hemi. Think it is a 6.4l Gas millage is important, but not as much as not having a huge emissions bill at the dealer, or going into some kind of limp mode pulling a trailer somewhere. I also despise the need for DEF fuel. Why WHY>>>> Just an added expense to add to your monthly bill.
                            I looked at the 6.4 Hemi and the 6.6 chevy before I bought my 7.3 F250, both the Hemi and Chevy had AFM and/or DOD, to me that is just one more thing to go south. When I first started turning wrenches for a living an old mechanic once told me, "The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to plug up." I still live by that, that is why I bought the 7.3. It doesn't have the AFM or DOD and it only has a slight amount of cam timing built in. It is a solid engine in front of a tried and true 10 speed trans, they have had that trans behind diesels for a while now so having it behind a gasser is a walk in the park. The thing is......I'm a Chevy guy, have been for a long time, you should have seen my buddies jaws drop when I pulled up in a FORD.

Comment

I’ve had three 6.7 Powerstrokes. A 2012, 2015 and a 2018. Absolute monsters when it comes to pulling and have had zero issues worth talking about. I sold mine this summer to fund the last of my house and haven’t bought another one. My first thought is to buy another F250 without even looking at anything else. But my dad and brother both have 6.7 cummins that have been bulletproof. Both have well over 200j on them with no issues. I’ll have to eat a lot of crow if I got one but it could be worth it.

I personally think most of your issues on these new diesels stem back to one thing… emissions.

Comment

The truth is any of the modern diesels have capabilities WELL beyond what the average user will ever need. It’s seems that most people that have issues with the DEF/Fuel systems are the people that never work them.

Pick the one that is in your budget and appeals the most to you.

If you are already happy with the towing performance of your Titan you will be ecstatic with any of the new diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X