X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see more Fords broke down on the side of the road. Just an observation

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
      Only one still running CP4 fuel pumps now is PowerStrokes. Duramax and Ram dumped them this year, thankfully!
      It won’t matter. When you are dealing with 30,000 psi injection systems that inject up to 5 injections on the compression stroke, the whole system is overloaded.
      Think about this. If it averages 2 injections per compression stroke, at 100,000 miles….your fuel system actually has 200,000 miles on it.

Comment

Cool Club = Ford
        Work Truck = Dodge

Comment

if someone would match a CAT engine with a 10L90 transmission in a light duty truck, I would buy 10 of them tomorrow.

Comment

If the government would leave them alone they all would be badazz. Volkswagen got away with it for awhile. Imagine 25 mpg no more cow pizz no more plastic containers

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
              Cool Club = Ford
              Work Truck = Dodge

When you get that Dodge, make sure you flip up them Tow mirrors while hauling the ghost trailer....

I drive an 2017 F250 with the 6.7, I have zero complaints with 115k on the clock. Ford is my choice, but they are all capable.

Dodge 2nd
              Chevy/GMC 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post

When you get that Dodge, make sure you flip up them Tow mirrors while hauling the ghost trailer....

I drive an 2017 F250 with the 6.7, I have zero complaints with 115k on the clock. Ford is my choice, but they are all capable.

Dodge 2nd
                Chevy/GMC 3rd
                In my Dodge I don't flip mirrors hauling my 30' camper, 24' gooseneck, 16' flatbed, or 12' flat bed. It would be nice to, but I worry about my appearance.....

In my Ford, I don't haul.

Comment

How much are you pulling? 5th wheel? Gooseneck? Bumper pull?

That alone would sway gas vs diesel. I will tell you my 6.7 Ford has just shy of 190k on it, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere right now. Proper maintenance is key. Good oil, quality filter, and fuel filter every oil change.

My biggest expenses so far has been front end parts (Ball joints wore out on steering linkage) and new shocks. If you keep the truck on factory tires and do not lift it, your suspension will last forever.

I wouldn't hesitate to get into a Dodge 6.7 either. Drove one myself, but didn't like the throttle response. Just stay away from GM.

Comment

High output Ram diesel with the Aisin transmission is a torque monster. The power is crazy. The Ford 10 speed is very nice but the service trucks we have are all newer than 2017 and the motors are junk. They are under a load all the time and have just over 130k miles average on them. One motor completely blew up at 125k miles. Several other knock and leak like a Siv.

Comment

Best thing I found was was to trade them in at 99000 or every 2 years

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Mitch, it's a toss-up.
                        I am currently in a 2019 Duramax, 95K miles no problems.
                        We quit buying Fords for fleet trucks years ago, way to many problems with them.
                        We currently have quite a few 2500 to 5500 Ram's in our fleet, 2007 Models to 2020 models. Several have upwards of 300,000 miles on them- mechanic trucks, flatbeds, to superintendent pickups. Zero big powertrain issues.
                        I had a 2016 Ram with the 6.4 Hemi that I put 180K miles on.
                        I will say that GM has the better ride & seat comfort but Ram is winning the ergonomics & interior battle.
                        My retirement ride will be a Ram 2500 Mega Cab diesel with the Ram boxes.

Comment

2020 Ram 3500 dually with the HO package 27K miles. This thing is a beast it will snatch the paint off a trailer, I pull pretty heavy loads often no break downs only issues is the recalls (first the wheel studs now the high pressure fuel pump). I went from diesel to gas now back to diesel

Comment

I've had 4 6.7 Powerstrokes. I really haven't had any issues.

I haven't kept one past 100k miles though so as far as Cp4 and all that I may not be the best to give advice.

I trade every 2-3 years for tax purposes.

I've always been more than pleased with Fords though. Currently have a 2020 F-350 SRW, it's an absolute monster towing.

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post

Here's an observation for ya. Why does every dodge I see have those mirrors in tow mode taking up 2 lanes whether pulling a trailer or not? I dont see Ford's or Chevy's doing this. Is the Dodge such a dog that they think they must still be pulling something?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

In the fleet of 1100 vehicles that I manage we have seen a huge increase in the the issues with the after treatment on the diesel trucks. Mainly (admittedly) from either lack of driving or high idle times. The DPFs are bad about getting dirty real quick if the vehicle is not driven at hwy speeds to properly go through a regen mode. A lot of the school districts have started buying gas buses instead of diesel buses due to the high fuel, DEF, and DPF cleaning and replacement cost according the FleetSolutions magazine articles. You could opt for the 7.3 Ford with proper gearing or the 6.6 GM gas motors, personally I went with the 7.3 Ford gasser. Ford built that motor as a diesel replacement for the commercial market that wanted to get away from the diesel costs. That motor is a beast and is over-built and under-engineered, meaning it does not have all the Active Fuel Management, and Displacement on Demand built in that will go south on you. GMs motor has a high pressure fuel pump that rides on the camshaft, in other applications I have seen that same type of system cause serious internal engine failure, not something I wanted to possibly have to deal with.
                                You won't get the mpg with a gas that a diesel gets, but you will only be down about 2-4 mpg one from the other buy everyone I have talked to, (I'm talking real world mpg, not some blow smoke mpg). What really matters is what you want and like to drive, and what feels good to you when you're driving it.
                                Don't get me wrong, at times I really miss my diesel, but it was a 2004 Chevy 1 ton, with no emissions on it, the newer diesels are not the same critter, my gasser pulls what I have without any issues and I don't have to worry about DEF and DPF issues.
                                This is just my honest opinion and my 0.2 for what it is worth.

Comment

Working...
                                X