No announcement yet.

I took my grandad hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool post sir...I wear a lot of Fathers old hunting cloths. It does bring back some great memories...

Comment

My son shot this spike this year with his Grandad’s Browning BAR 30-06 he inherited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

have my grand fathers semi 22 he bought new in about 1918-20,,,, not real sure of the date but it was made on the browning 22 patent,,, paw paw as born in 1900, first gun he ever bought, have my dads rem pump 22 he bought when he came home on leave from the Korean war,, still has the cracked stock from when he knocked a horse out with it, even have a sword my uncle found stuck through a rotted tree stump in southern arkansas when he was kid,,, everything points to the civil war that i have found out so far... one of my dads old hunting hats and a couple of his old knives, one of which belonged to his dad

Comment

What a cool thread. Makes you definitely think before you get rid of some of your old stuff. Not guns.

Comment

One bump before I let it die.

Comment

Great stuff in this thread. Thanks for starting.

Comment

My dad passed about 10 years ago. I inherited all of his guns. I thought about passing them along to my son and two nephews, when I die. Then I thought, what the heck. I don't need them, so I cleaned them all up and parcel them out to the boys. That way I got to see a bunch of grown men cry. I may have had a few allergies myself.

Comment

I have my grandpas .22hornet. Great gun!! He told me when I was a kid. That gun would shoot out to a mile. Always know what is behind your target.

Comment

My father gave my grandfather a Sears 20ga pump and I remember grandpa hunting doves with it before he died when I was 7. When I was 11 Dad gave it to me and I have hunted dove with it ever since. I did buy a new O/U this year but will never fully retire the old sears shotgun. Dad passed in December and one of the guns I inherited is his custom 270 which I will use this coming year. We were talking this fall and I told him if I were to ever get picked for the grand slam I planned to make hunts with different rifles. His 270, his brother's 308, my mother's brother's 308 and the 243 my mother bought me when I was 12. I sometimes hunt in my uncle's coat and can smell the Redman.

Comment

GREAT thread. This to me is what I think about most when I am out hunting and why I love using my Dad's old 30-30 or wearing something that my grandpa passed down to me. Hunting and fishing is about making memories and I love to actually relive them when I am out there and using the tools that were used before me and pass on.

Comment

I inherited my grandfathers .270 modified Mauser action rifle in a game of chance and luck with my brother and 2 male cousins. Long story very very short. All of my grandfathers guns were lost in a house fire. My uncle took the actions and barrels to a guy who “restored” them, basically put new stocks on the unusable metal. The other guns were standard production rifles, but the gun I got was a custom gun and the stock it currently sits on is nowhere near as beautiful as what it had before. Before the fire and after my grandfathers death I killed my first coyote with that gun. I was obsessed with hunting coyotes after that day. Actually went on to do Outdoor Tv and a couple of DVDs based around predator hunting. I still have the gun, but will never be able to use it again.

Comment

Originally posted by tradman View Post
                          I inherited my grandfathers .270 modified Mauser action rifle in a game of chance and luck with my brother and 2 male cousins. Long story very very short. All of my grandfathers guns were lost in a house fire. My uncle took the actions and barrels to a guy who “restored” them, basically put new stocks on the unusable metal. The other guns were standard production rifles, but the gun I got was a custom gun and the stock it currently sits on is nowhere near as beautiful as what it had before. Before the fire and after my grandfathers death I killed my first coyote with that gun. I was obsessed with hunting coyotes after that day. Actually went on to do Outdoor Tv and a couple of DVDs based around predator hunting. I still have the gun, but will never be able to use it again.

That's an awesome story!

Comment

I have my grandfathers 222 mag. a first harvest with that gun has become a right of passage, all of his grandchildren and great grandchildren that hunt have killed their first deer with that gun and it will continue to the next generation also.

Comment

Was given this 16ga SxS around Christmas two years ago. I didn’t even know it existed, but it was originally my great-grandfathers cousin’s. His father purchased it for him after returning home from WW2. My great-grandfather came into possession of it when my great-grandfather’s cousin became extremely ill and his wife gave it to my great-grandfather.

Comment

I’ve been known to break out my Browning BLR 243 that my grandpa gave me (killed my first deer with it when I was 8). This year I acquired his Rem 1100lt 20ga and look forward to hunting some doves with it in Sept.

Comment

Working...
                                X