Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    My best shot is the 2nd shot here in my video.. Some might say "luckiest" at 33 yards walking, but I played it over in my head what I could have to do once he turned broadside (lead and holding my single pin a tad high) for shot #2 and what I knew I needed to do while he stood there looking at me. Knowing he already had one arrow through him in a less than desirable spot, I knew I needed to get one more in him before he left the pen. Optimal would have been for him to turn broadside but I also knew I may not be able to get him to stop while injured. Worked out pretty good..

Skimmer No Brows - YouTube
    Heck yeah! I can't believe he stuck around that long. That part of it was lucky. You made that second shot count. A moving shot at that.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      Heck yeah! I can't believe he stuck around that long. That part of it was lucky. You made that second shot count. A moving shot at that.

Me either...I'm not even sure he knew he was hit for a long time. Very fortunate there. . He only went about 50 yards after that second one though.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
        I busted a big gobbler one time. He was running about as fast as any pressured turkey runs. He was running left to right at about a 45 degree angle away from me. 1 shot with the 223 and it went down. He was 257 steps from me. I had 0 expectation of making the shot. It was 90% luck 10% skill. It was getting late in the afternoon on the final day of the hunt. Had no luck calling with the shotgun and let one fly with the rifle. Amazed the heck outta me that I went home with a long beard .

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
        Sometimes you just gotta sling one out there and let the chips fall where they may. You can't hit them if you don't shoot.

Comment

Shooting doves when I was 14-15. I winged one and he landed across a fence. He was walking and I was running low on shells so didn’t want to waste one but I figured he would fly off when I hopped over the fence. So I picked up a rock hoping I could at least roll him over. I hit him in the head and killed him stone dead. Looked around and was like nobody gonna believe that sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Me either...I'm not even sure he knew he was hit for a long time. Very fortunate there. . He only went about 50 yards after that second one though.
            He may not have. I believe we're all equipped with whatever it is that prevents pain from happening right off. For example if you've ever been cut super deep it sure enough looks bad but it don't necessarily hurt. Kinda weird how a paper cut will sting but a cut that needs stitches don't hurt until way after. I bet he just heard the arrow smack and it just spooked him a little. Little did he know he had some health problems kicking in.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
              Shooting doves when I was 14-15. I winged one and he landed across a fence. He was walking and I was running low on shells so didn’t want to waste one but I figured he would fly off when I hopped over the fence. So I picked up a rock hoping I could at least roll him over. I hit him in the head and killed him stone dead. Looked around and was like nobody gonna believe that sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              That reminds me of the time my Uncle and my Grandpa and I went out to a buddy of ours shed. He had pigeons living in there and there were making a mess everywhere so we went to thin some out. For some reason those stupid things weren't wanting to fly out. So my Grandpa picks up a piece of a 2X4 and starts throwing it at them while they were up in the rafters. He killed more with that piece of board than we killed with the shotguns.LOL

Comment

I've killed 3 squirrels that were running with a .22 rifle 2 of the 3 times two of my buddies had already emptied their shot guns trying to kill the squirrels.

Comment

Live turkey shoot in Fredericksburg many years ago. Turkeys were tied behind railroad ties with white sheets hung behind them so you could see just their head when they raised it above the tie. Distance was one hundred yards shots were offhand standing. I was shooting a very authentic Hawken rifle with with buckhorn rear sight and silver blade front sight. I had made the 54 caliber rifle myself a few months before the shoot.
                  First shot hit the turkey square in the head. I couldn’t see what happened because of all the black powder smoke but I heard the crowd react to the shot. I asked my brother if I had hit the bird. He replied , “ Hell yes , you blew his head off”.
                  I acted like the shot was nothing out of the ordinary and put the rifle away. Went and got my turkey and didn’t shoot again. I knew I could never repeat that shot no matter how many times I tried!

Comment

Shot a bobcat at 43yds trotting away. Arrow dropped right in between his shoulders. He was trotting away because I missed him at 12yds with the first shot.

Comment

I've killed a turkey and a coyote at over 60 yards with a shotgun. We were huntin two hours from home and had already made a few attempts at getting a turkey. We had called up several jakes and passed on them when we saw a big tom strutting way out in a wheat field. Hens were all around him. I finally decided I wasn't waiting for him to come to me. I was going to him. So I crouched down and moved up a weed row until I thought I was close enough. I look up and they're all single file heading out and they were being quick about it. I drew a bead on the tom and watch him do a cartwheel when I shot. Those Hevi Shot 13 3 1/2" #5's were bad to the bone. He was flopping and jumping when I went out there. I pinned him down with my foot and went to grab him. Still have a scar on my thumb from where he spurred me. Wasn't long and he died. I'd got a few pellets in his head and neck. Biggest turkey I ever shot.

The coyote I killed at 63 yards I believe it was. If I remember correctly that turkey was too. Anyway I called in a mangy coyote and he started acting like he was getting skittish so I shot and knocked him down. He got back up so I hit him again. Turns out my first shot hit him in the legs. The second one got him in the face,neck and side. Shot him with Winchester Varmint X 3" BB. Same shotgun and choke on both of them.

Comment

Several that were either lucky or unreal. P&Y antelope at 91 yards in NM, ranged with and 80 yard pin on my bow and lots of long range practice at that time of my life so not real difficult. Heart shot, Ran 100 yards right at and past me!

Head shot on a Merriam turkey at 81 yards, again with the 80 yard pin and lots of practice.

Very long range (not sure how long) on a Corsican ram. I just flung an arrow at him to say i shot at him due to following and tracking him all day. Double lung shot, went 20 yards. He was named Big Red at the Baker Ranch. From the lore surrounding the ranch and this ram and people that hunted and shot at Big Red, he had been hit several times, not fatally and had been missed several times.

I have always said, I would rather be luckier than good when it comes to bowhunting!

Comment

I used to pour corn in a line in front of my stand just for this reason. My best was 4 piglets of about 20 pounds apeice and 6 crows with a seventh hit with my 260. The bullet hit the first 2 crows and exploded. I hit the first 2 piglets thru the lungs the third was liver and the fourth in the forhead.

Comment

I've made a few good/lucky shots with a pistol. Shot a skunk once at 163 steps with a .22 revolver. Took 12 shots but I finally hit it. It looked like a black dot moving around out there. I had to put it on top of the sights and move up so I could lob bullets at it. Shot a jackrabbit not long after that with my buddies Browning Buckmark. It was 140 something steps away. Also shot a raccoon once right on the end of the nose with my grandpas Ruger pistol. Looked like he had 3 nostrils. When I went and got it there was an old pack of Winston cigarettes under it. So that raccoon is known as Winston.

Also hit a cottontail that was on a dead run with that Ruger pistol. Hit it square in the head. Hit an armadillo in the head twice at 35 yards with the .22 revolver with the .22mag cylinder in it.

Killed two coyotes with a 7.62x25 Tokarev. One from 25 yards and the other from around 50 except that one was running. The one that was running was pure luck.

Comment

I heart shot a coyote at 180 yards on the run. Pretty lucky

Comment

Shot a doe at around 275 yards with a model 700 .270.
                                She laid down and acted funny took a little while to expire.
                                Another doe comes out slightly closer smooth miss kinda odd, I'm not a sharp shooter but with a good rest I hit what I shoot.

Realized i hit the first deer low and in the liver not where i was aiming check the gun for zero couple days later its 6" low and left at 100 yards. Explains the miss and the total luck liver hit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X