No announcement yet.

Chainsaw Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like your brake/spring is binding. Have you pulled it apart and blew the plate out with air?

Comment

I figured it out. The new bar I bought, the tension screw is not lining up. It’s falling into another hole. I had just bought a tractor supply bar that supposed to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
        I figured it out. The new bar I bought, the tension screw is not lining up. It’s falling into another hole. I had just bought a tractor supply bar that supposed to fit.
        universal is not always a solution

Been in the same place before, now I just buy stihl but would consider oregon or other reputable aftermarket bar

My first thought was the bar tip sprocket

Comment

Your chain isn't on backwards, is it?

Comment

Found a husqvarna bar this evening and it seems to be rolling smooth. Will try it out this weekend. Thank for all the replies.
            Still might put it up for sale and buy a Stihl or Echo

Comment

Found a husqvarna bar this evening and it seems to be rolling smooth. Will try it out this weekend. Thank for all the replies.
              Still might put it up for sale and buy a Stihl or Echo
              problem you described could happen on any brand, it's not the saw's fault .. all 3 brands you mentioned are all fantastic saws.

buy quality bars, chains , gas and chain oil ... and all 3 will perform.

Comment

Tried it out today and still having problems. Something with the side plate is putting chain bar in a bind. It will spin free then get in a bind.

Comment

Have a 455 Rancher and it would bind in side plate. Took in in for repair and it was a metal band inside the plate hub. Had it replaced and it worked fine. Wasn’t very expensive. Also the chain break mechanism was broken & had it repaired at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                    Have a 455 Rancher and it would bind in side plate. Took in in for repair and it was a metal band inside the plate hub. Had it replaced and it worked fine. Wasn’t very expensive. Also the chain break mechanism was broken & had it repaired at the same time.
                    Yeah I’m thinking it might have to do with the clutch ring. It doesn’t look like anything is wrong but something is off.

Comment

Tried it out today and still having problems. Something with the side plate is putting chain bar in a bind. It will spin free then get in a bind.
                      Are you mechanically inclined?

Not familiar with Husqvarna saws but I have a mini Stihl that has a band that resides in the side plate that sounds like what you are talking about.

Pop that band out and clean it and the "groove" or space where it sits out real good too and put it back together. I had a similar problem and it had built up a bunch of crud between band and housing

Comment

sounds to me like the problem is the chain... are you sure you didn't have the chain slip off and it bent a tooth ? with the bar off the saw can you take the entire chain through the bar and roll it by hand without binding ?? sure sounds like a bad spot on the chain itself to me .. or out of specs... do you have another chain ?

Comment

Chain is full, get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            Are you mechanically inclined?

Not familiar with Husqvarna saws but I have a mini Stihl that has a band that resides in the side plate that sounds like what you are talking about.

Pop that band out and clean it and the "groove" or space where it sits out real good too and put it back together. I had a similar problem and it had built up a bunch of crud between band and housing
                            I am somewhat. Had my BIL look at it yesterday and we think the sprocket is broke. You can see a gap where the chain must be sliding into and binding.

Place i called to fix wants $60 to diagnose and then parts and labor.
                            Think it is worth it? Guessing $125-$150 to fix.

Comment

Buy the sprocket and fix yourself if you are certain the sprocket is cracked/broken

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                Buy the sprocket and fix yourself if you are certain the sprocket is cracked/broken

Probably a needle bearing in there too. Those wear out. Just wanted add that to the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X