2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JES View Post
    With this cold snap coming, are we on track for a fish kill? Obviously depends on how long we are at/below freezing. It’s been warm and the fish in many areas are likely moving to shallower waters. Let’s hope we dodge a bullet.
    Water is 62’ here.... not gonna stay below freezing long enough to harm any fish,
    Tides are not that low so that also helps, crabbing Buddy of mine caught a sponge crab yesterday, just gotta listen to Mother Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
      I've been watching it closely and the forecast has bobbed around some. If it gets as cold as they are saying and stays cold for as long as they are saying we will see fish kills. The question is going to be, how many and how widespread? Will enough of them head to deeper water with the several days of north winds, falling tides and falling temps before it gets bad? It's hard to say. I sure hope they all make it to deep water. And I hope they will shut down shipping on the ICW for a few days. There will be a bunch of fish in the ICW and the barges will stir the water up making it cold from top to bottom killing fish that otherwise would have been ok laid up on the bottom of the ICW.
      Originally posted by Leemo View Post
      Water is 62’ here.... not gonna stay below freezing long enough to harm any fish,
      Tides are not that low so that also helps, crabbing Buddy of mine caught a sponge crab yesterday, just gotta listen to Mother Nature
      These are the voices to listen to.

Hope yall are right

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        These are the voices to listen to.

Hope yall are right

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
        Agree.

Comment

Thanks Glenn and Leemo! Appreciate the updates on current conditions in Matty!

Comment

Lol silly me had Monday off and thought I'd go check on fish camp.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Could make for some interesting fishing. Anyone have one of these?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
              I do. Lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                Last time I was out the surface temp in East was 64.5 degrees. That is pretty dang warm. I sure hope you are correct Lee. None of us need a major kill.

Comment

TPWD needs to go on and close fishing in deep harbors and holes too. It is going to be a free for all in some places if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                    TPWD needs to go on and close fishing in deep harbors and holes too. It is going to be a free for all in some places if they don't.
                    They close down the north Padre channels every time we have an event like this. These came out of tropic isles canals in flour bluff from the freeze several years ago. Don't remember the exact numbers but it was like 25 tarpon and 30 snook.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am worried about the turtles too. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

I'm sure it'll zap a bunch of them. And I am sure they will go out and rescue a bunch too if the wind will let them get out to get 'em.

Comment

Gonna be tough with that North blowing all week. Looks like a window on Tuesday. Several years ago we lined a bunch of them up on the shoreline at the old army base. Sun came out and they "woke up" and walked in the water and seam away.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            They close down the north Padre channels every time we have an event like this. These came out of tropic isles canals in flour bluff from the freeze several years ago. Don't remember the exact numbers but it was like 25 tarpon and 30 snook.
                            I've been down there several times during duck season when they shut down the ICW im sure those barges weren't to happy!

Speaking of turtles I saw more this last year than I ever have in the upper laguna. We saw a bunch the year after they opened packery but nothing like this past year.
                            Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 02-10-2021, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Should be a good year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

Mostly Kemp’s Ridleys and a few Loggerheads will be affected..... last cold snap over 2300 turtles from East Matagorda Bay and San Antone Bay we rescued, the problem this time with any rescue will be the wind.

Comment

Working...
                                X