TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
    Have any of yall seen this?? I think it could help individuals get into beekeeping easier..

https://www.honeyflow.com/?utm_sourc...content=febCOM
    I will let you know if it works.

Comment

Ok here is one for the beekeeping vets. My hives look really full of bees. My plan is either to split the hives or add a Super, whats yalls opinion?

Im probably going to split one and add a Super to the other

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        Ok here is one for the beekeeping vets. My hives look really full of bees. My plan is either to split the hives or add a Super, whats yalls opinion?

Im probably going to split one and add a Super to the other
        I'm not a veteran by any means, but I'll add my opinion. It depends on what your goal is. Do you want to add to your # of hives? If so, split both. If not, then add honey supers and let the bees do their thing.

I've heard the discussion between 1 and 2 deep supers for brood. What say you, green screen? I think more babies (2 boxes) equals a stronger hive, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
          I'm not a veteran by any means, but I'll add my opinion. It depends on what your goal is. Do you want to add to your # of hives? If so, split both. If not, then add honey supers and let the bees do their thing.

I've heard the discussion between 1 and 2 deep supers for brood. What say you, green screen? I think more babies (2 boxes) equals a stronger hive, but that's just me.
          Im gonna experiment....that way I know first hand

Comment

generally, you do one or the other to keep the bees from swarming in the spring. If you want more hives, do a split and buy a queen or allow the split to make their own queen. If you are not wanting more hives, add the second deep and give them room to expand. keep in mind, you still have to look for swarm cells if you add the second deep.
            personally, I add the second deep and expand, then I can start adding supers quicker.

Comment

I own ten acres and will be getting bees very soon. The spot I have picked out to place the boxes is almost directly under some large power lines. A friend that has a family history with bee keeping mentioned that it could potentially bother the bees. Any one have any experience with bees being bothered by over head power lines?

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                I pull around 1200# of honey off of my bees each year, they are as laid back the day I pull deeps full of capped honey as they are the day I give them their routine checks about every 10th day. Rain, heavy clouds and fog can make them somewhat irritable imo not the amount of honey they have capped.
                Good for you then, but I know what effects mine. Hasn't been the weather either. lol

Comment

Originally posted by txbassnaholic View Post
                  generally, you do one or the other to keep the bees from swarming in the spring. If you want more hives, do a split and buy a queen or allow the split to make their own queen. If you are not wanting more hives, add the second deep and give them room to expand. keep in mind, you still have to look for swarm cells if you add the second deep.
                  personally, I add the second deep and expand, then I can start adding supers quicker.
                  Ok whats the difference between a Deep and a Super?

Comment

Ok I lost my best Hive to starvation last week. I had sugar in a top feeder but because it was cold they would not break their cluster and all died. Two full deeps full of bees. I could have probably made 2 or 3 splits off them. I’m just sick. Lesson learned is put the sugar on wax paper right on top of the frames. If it’s cold they will not go to a top feeder to get it. Literally 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket of dead bees on the bottom board :-(

Comment

Man, that's awful, makes me sick to hear it. Were they clustered in the bottom deep and refused to go through the second deep to the syrup? I wonder if some pollen patties would have helped? Sorry this happened....

Comment

Originally posted by txbassnaholic View Post
                        Man, that's awful, makes me sick to hear it. Were they clustered in the bottom deep and refused to go through the second deep to the syrup? I wonder if some pollen patties would have helped? Sorry this happened....
                        That’s exactly what happened. Not a situation that’s talked about much. I’ll never put winter backup feed in a top feeder again. Right down on the frames for now on. I pulled three frames on the middle of the top deep on my other hives and put down wax paper on top of the bottom frames then poured 5 lbs of sugar and put in a poultry watered with 2 to 1 syrup on the other side. My other hives went right to it. Only way I’m doing it for now on. The walls bee man on youtube uses the poultry waterer like this with great success.
                        Last edited by sharkhunter; 02-15-2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Put 2 Supers on this weekend, looking pretty good. Gonna wait for some better weather to do a split.

Using Flow hive supers with flow frames. I know, I know, some of yall not gonna agree. But the Bees have definetly took a likeing to them.
                          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 02-16-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Well, I guess I killed this thread

Comment

It's not dead.

We started with bees last spring. Two hives with some help from a local resource and Texas State University student - great kid.
                              My wonderful wife has more details that I do but we have recently joined a few local groups and Meetups and will be more active in them this year.
                              I've been doing the 1:1 sugar:water mix all winter and they seem to be doing fine. Our hives are setup in a 1/2 shady spot as per the recommendation we were given.
                              We are looking to do some splits this spring and work towards our needed six-seven hives by four years from now. We are on 7 acres.
                              If we get some honey in that time frame then that is a bonus to me.
                              We will be planting a few more fruit trees this spring and cutting out some more cedar. This fall we plan on spreading more wildflower seeds.

Comment

Sounds great. I too spread some seeds this past month. Have some trees Im gonna plant tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X