School me on Ham Radios.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
    Using repeaters.....are these the repeaters you have to pay a service fee for like company’s use for there field guys? Or are there ham radio repeaters that don’t cost anything? How do you use them?
    Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
    Repeaters are installed by clubs and enthusiasts and have no cost.
    Both...some repeaters come with a subscription

TO learn to use them you will need to learn some radio. THere are offesets that many use that can be preprogrammed and makes your life easy.

Chirp software works great with Baofengs

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      If anyone needs ariel work done, holla
      Curious do you put up towers/antennas??

Comment

Youtube

Ham Radio Crash Course

Comment

Depending on where you live, a handheld can just be an expensive walkie-talkie. You need to be able to hit repeaters and know how to use them and program for them.

You're not going to be talking to Italy or Spain on a cheap handheld.

Download a repeater app where you can search for local repeaters. Or do a search for local ham clubs they usually have the regional repeaters with all the info listed.

Comment

Keep the info coming in guys, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Depending on where you live, a handheld can just be an expensive walkie-talkie. You need to be able to hit repeaters and know how to use them and program for them.

You're not going to be talking to Italy or Spain on a cheap handheld.
              Man I am still confused. If I am looking for one to talk to Russian woman....i mean Russian people, which ones will reach out that far?

Comment

Very expensive ones

Comment

I've been studyinhg for my technician off and on using the HamStudy app and online.

I DID, however; drop the $70 for my GMRS License and picked up a Midland 15w unit for the truck and some midland hand helds for the family, since the GMRS covers family members. Mom, wife, and in-laws are gonna get a radio for emergencies. Nice knowing we can communicate should phones or anything else go down.

Looking forward to getting the rest of the licensing done in the near future.

My wife's grandpa did a bunch of amatuer radio stuff back in the day.
                  Was devastated to hear all his equipment got sold in an estate sale

WRKG641

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    Man I am still confused. If I am looking for one to talk to Russian woman....i mean Russian people, which ones will reach out that far?
                    Just order your Russian Bride and you can save money on the radios. =)

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
                      FCC requires a test which is 15$ and License which is more like registering to broadcast. Listening doesn’t require a license. This equipment can be very powerful and interfere with emergency channels, aircraft and marine channels. It can also interfere with other airwave devices. Think WiFi and telephone etc. there are a lot of ways to interfere some minor some major.

Heck if a ham operates to close to a wireless weather station the station can drop its connections.

If you broadcast illegally it is possible to locate you and most ham clubs have the equipment to do it. Fines are pretty hefty.

No license need for purchase
                      Yep, there is no end to the frustration they cause me

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Curious do you put up towers/antennas??
                      All the above

Comment

I bought the beafoug uv5r. Been listening to other operators. Been taking the practice test.

Comment

I’m thinking about the baofeng f8 hp as an intro radio. I’ve been studying for the technicians licensing exam for a week now. I need to find an exam locally if there is one coming up.

Comment

I got into HAM radio in the late 90's in my teens. Got pretty heavy into it, especially the HF side and talked to over 125 different countries. Met a lot of good people along the way. I haven't talked on one in a few years now, but still keep my license active.

Comment

Just passed my technician exam

Ill post my call sign when I get it.

Wooooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
                                Just passed my technician exam

Ill post my call sign when I get it.

Wooooooo!
                                Congratulations. I'm studying for mine

Comment

Working...