No announcement yet.

First Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever you do, I suggest you purchase something well below what you can afford and put a substantial down payment to reduce interest/avoid pin. For example, I was able to make my monthly payment and put an extra few hundred dollars a month towards principle. I also made it my main goal within the first 12-18 months to get at least 6 months ahead on my payments so I had a cushion should I become unemployed.

Every chance I had I’d make even more extra payments and/or pay as much as I could towards the principle. Doing this I was able to easily pay my house off in less than 10 years and that was one of the best feelings I’ve experienced. Plus, I put myself in a position to not be a slave to my home - want to go on a nice vacation, no problem because the cost of my overall bills was way below my earned income. Lots of friends didn’t do this and they live an unnecessarily stressful life.

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
      What was the first house you purchased?

I will be looking to purchase in the next couple of months. The current housing market has me confused as to which way to go.

Which would make the most financial sense?

Do I purchase a new home, with the plan to sell it in 5-8 years?
      Do I purchase a pre-owned home, with the plan to sell in 5-8 years?
      Do I purchase land (1-2 acres) and put a small barndominium on it, in the location of where I would want the shop, and then build a house in 5-8 years? This would likely max out my budget.

My end goal is to have a couple acres to live on and not have to deal with HOA, and have a shop for ranger, boat and projects.

On the other hand do I sit tight and hope for the housing market to cool off? House prices are absolutely insane right now, and raw land prices are not far off.

-Stephen
      Unless you are paying cash, prices could come down but interest rates rise and you'd still end up paying more for the house.

Rates are at all time lows. That would be more important to me in making a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post
        I see you are in Cypress. I am as well. You planning to stay in the area? If so, I'm guessing 1-2 acre lots are tough to find. My wife and I purchased our 1st home in 2009. Sold that home and bought a new-to-us home in August 2020. We only planned to stay in our 1st home 3-5 years. I wanted to move out to the sticks somewhere and build on a couple of acres. Things changed after kids. We have two boys in grade school, so a family-friendly neighborhood and schools were our top considerations when buying our 2nd home. HOAs suck but it is a sacrifice I was willing to make, at least until our kids get out of school. If you are married and have kids or plan to have kids, consider how/where you want them to grow up and where they might go to school. Whatever you do, don't become house poor, especially if you are married. This can be very stressful. Also, when making your decision, be sure to pay attention to property taxes and take those into consideration when you are house hunting. They vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, so do your homework. Best of luck.
        X2 on thinking about kids or even possible future kids.

I couldn't tell you how many people I know (including the wife and I) that ended up selling their first home within 5 years and buying another in a different area because of kids and schools.

To be honest, it seems like a lot of first time homebuyers end up selling within a handful of years. There are various reasons for this. Some due to kids. Others change jobs or their current financial situation may allow for an upgrade, etc.

Oh and renting is not as bad as what some like to make it out to be. Property taxes are high in areas with decent school districts (especially in the burbs close to the major metro areas). Historically low mortgage rates make home buying look appealing, but most definitely check on the property taxes. This can impact your monthly payment substantially.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          With the way it’s been it would be like buying high and selling higher.

Market is crazy right now in DFW area. My clients have made several offers, above list price, on homes only to be beat out by higher offers with appraisal waiver.

The are not projecting, at least in this area, that it’s going to slow down anytime soon.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Just purchased our first home. Had to act quick and constantly check listings. In the end our realtor made it happen for us. Older home on a large lot / rural area no HOA. Couldn’t be happier with the purchase and interest rate we got. Trey Powers (sponsor on here) was great to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post
              What was the first house you purchased?

I will be looking to purchase in the next couple of months. The current housing market has me confused as to which way to go.

Which would make the most financial sense?

Do I purchase a new home, with the plan to sell it in 5-8 years?

Do I purchase a pre-owned home, with the plan to sell in 5-8 years?

[COLOR="Red"]
              Unless you're bank rolling, this is your best option. Find an older house in high demand area and update it. Sell in 3-4 years. Try to get closing cost covered by seller. Minimize cash out of pocket. Low down payment keeping cash on hand to do reno. [/COLOR]

Do I purchase land (1-2 acres) and put a small barndominium on it, in the location of where I would want the shop, and then build a house in 5-8 years? This would likely max out my budget.

Unless you have a lot of cash on hand this is a tough route to get finance at a good rate. While traditional rates are super low. In my opinion I would say this would be a good 10 year plan. Bardos only save you money if you if can cut out a few contractors. Then that might end up costing you more.

My end goal is to have a couple acres to live on and not have to deal with HOA, and have a shop for ranger, boat and projects.

On the other hand do I sit tight and hope for the housing market to cool off? House prices are absolutely insane right now, and raw land prices are not far off.

-Stephen

Comment

I bought my first home in Carrollton, in a highly desired area in the early 20s. Was in 2008 when the market was in a very bad place. It was right at the top of my budget, but my wife and I made it work. Only a few friends of ours did the same thing, but most rented downtown areas. We sold that property, paid off all student loans, cars, etc and put down 20% on our next home. We lucked out and very thankful.

Comment

For your first home I would go the pre-owned route with plans to sell few years later. Do that a couple of times before you buy land and build your dream home.

Comment

I don't know your whole situation (wife, kids, etc) but if it was me, I would buy the worst house in the area you want to live in. Fix it up over the next 2-3 years and upgrade.

Comment

My First home was a fixer upper that we bought when we first got married and we stayed in it for 7 years. I view home purchases purely from an investment standpoint. You have to buy right and be ready to pounce the moment you find the right deal because the market is crazy. I wouldn't be scared of a used home. We have bought 4 used homes in the last 9-10 years and moved into the 4th one last August. We average about 3 years in one place and then I flip it. We have been able to make between $30k-$80k in each sale by buying smart and watching the market in the area. I'm not sure what the housing market will do now with the current situation in our nation. Good luck in whatever you decide! Buying a first home is exciting.

Comment

Buy land and build as you go.

You can buy a house any time, but land, they ain’t making anymore of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Buy land and build as you go.

You can buy a house any time, but land, they ain’t making anymore of that.

Comment

Location, Location, location. The rules of that game haven't changed. If you are looking to make money on the sale in 5 years make sure you buy something you can sell later.

In the greater Houston area a semi new home in a new subdivision will likely have to compete with newer homes in that same subdivision if you want/need to sell it in 5 years. That's something my wife and I didn't know when we bought in 2010 and needed to sell in 2012 because of a new job I got with Baker Hughes in Colorado.

Interest rates are low and according to the fed they won't be coming up soon so borrow as much as the bank will lend you and buy something in the best area you can... you don't plan on keeping it anyway so payoff doesn't matter. So long as you can make the note, pay the taxes and most importantly pay yourself first every month don't get hung up on sales price.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

When we lived in Austin we knew we were only going to be there another 5 years when we built our house. We worked very closely with our realtor based on only being it it for 5 years.
                              The main focus was the floor plan and building something that was going to appeal to the most people when we did sell.
                              So, we built a home based on that premise and sold it 5 years later for a profit and moved back home to where we are now.

Be reasonable, patient and don't get pressured into doing something you will regret. Your home is the largest single investment most people have at any point in their lifetime so you want to treat it as such.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd find something on the outskirts of a Family friendly area you really like in a new development. Interest rates are insanely low right now, and that would be why I would go that route. The metro areas of Texas are only getting larger, and more populated. It's one of the best investments you can make.

With the interest rates as low as they are, I wouldn't put as much down either. Keep cash on hand and see what you can do with it.

My first house in S. Denton was $147k and we sold it for $250k about 6 years later. Bought the next house with the Better half for $270k and sold it 2 years later for $325k.

Comment

Working...
                                X