New Mexico mule deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico mule deer

I need some advise from some of you guys that has hunted New Mexico for mule deer. I just got back from my hunt there and I had a blast spot and stocking. Had one opportunity at a super nice buck but he had me pinned down at 8 yards and it did not work out.
    Now what bothered me most was all the dang hunters I saw and ran in to. I want to find a unit that has nice mule deer in it but I want to pack in a few miles to get away from all of those local hunters. Anyone have any experience with that. I have a couple of units in mind already. I just want to see if anyone can give me some good advice on some other units. To add I am ok coming home empty handed so I am kinda of picky looking for a mature buck.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The easiest route would be a landowner tag for what you are wanting. I’d still be putting in the draw just in case there is the chance you draw a coveted tag. My advice would be start building points and hunting other states for opportunities and honing your skills. Plenty of places to kill a mature buck but the easiest and quickest way to get where you’re wanting to go with NM would be looking for a landowner tag.

Comment

To start, what unit did you hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
        To start, what unit did you hunt?

I was in unit 29.

Comment

5B has exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by paulke6 View Post
            I was in unit 29.

You’ll get a lot of locals from up north of you...Alamogordo & even Carlsbad too...

You’ll right, you’ll need to do alot of homework to get away from those locals - push further away from the main roads & such.

Get to know your GPS - locals will take down all signage to hide their honey holes. Most I’ve come across are road hunters & cover a lot of ground that way...

It’s public land, so you first have to out think other hunters...

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
              You’ll get a lot of locals from up north of you...Alamogordo & even Carlsbad too...

You’ll right, you’ll need to do alot of homework to get away from those locals - push further away from the main roads & such.

Get to know your GPS - locals will take down all signage to hide their honey holes. Most I’ve come across are road hunters & cover a lot of ground that way...

It’s public land, so you first have to out think other hunters...

I agree. I saw deer and where I was at. I really could not get any deeper in than I was cause of the deep canyons. I think by the 3rd day all the hunters have pushed the deer into those deep canyons where my 2 feet would be no match for there 4 feet.

Comment

PM sent buddy

Comment

You might try that unit that is near Santa Fe. Its a little tougher to hunt. I've only hunted Unit 21...and of course lots of traffic on roads and off! but it only takes a few hills to get away from that.

Look at Unit 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibby View Post
                    You might try that unit that is near Santa Fe. Its a little tougher to hunt. I've only hunted Unit 21...and of course lots of traffic on roads and off! but it only takes a few hills to get away from that.

Look at Unit 45.

Thanks bud I will ck those units out.

Comment

What made you think the other hunters were locals?

Comment

New Mexico mule deer

Cause I got to talk with everyone of them. Either they walked through my set up or I talk to them at or going to and from camp

Last edited by paulke6; 01-24-2021, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X