Cold feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
    I get miserable cold feet in cold weather when I am just sitting around.

The problem is that with socks and good boots, my feet get incredible warm and comfortable. So warm they sweat. Once they sweat sand I sit in the blind, they get very, very cold.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be using foot powder to keep them dry? Is there some sock I need to get?

How do you combat cold feet?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    I have same issue.

I don't tie my lace up boots. I prefer to wear pull on boots my feet seen to stay warmer. They get chilly not [emoji3063]...

Comment

I hunted in Canada once and had some insulated boot covers. When I got to the blind, I’d take my boots off and put the covers on with a hand warmer. Feet stayed toasty all day. The key is airflow and circulation.

Comment

Big ol thick wool socks....

Comment

Originally posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
          I hunted in Canada once and had some insulated boot covers. When I got to the blind, I’d take my boots off and put the covers on with a hand warmer. Feet stayed toasty all day. The key is airflow and circulation.
          On The Edge got it right.

I struggled with cold feet for a long time. I tried the sock liner with good quality wool socks and that helped up to about 38 degrees. But the cold hunts in Kansas were still brutal on my feet.

I bought a pair of Artic Shield boot covers and that solved my cold feet problem. I drop a hand warmer into each boot cover at camp, snap the boot covers to my backpack and head to my stand. Once I'm up in my lock on stand, I slip the boot covers over my boots and I can sit in comfort all day.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
            1. Hot Hands foot insole warmers are awesome!!

2. Has anyone had good luck wearing bunny boots?? I heard Steve Rinella talk about them one time. Not great for stalking but great for sitting still.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...e-new?a=733408
            Originally posted by ken View Post
            I bought a pair of bunny boots for a winter trip to Alaska. I will let you know how they worked when I get back.
            Bunny boots would be overkill for use in TX. Just my opinion. They are for extreme cold weather, like -50 degrees. I had a pair of the black ones when I lived in the Anchorage area and never wore them. They’re bulky and feel like you’re wearing clown shoes!

Ken, what are you going to be doing up there. Make sure you open the air valve if you’re flying otherwise thy might explode.

Comment

get wool socks that do not have a cotton blend. Cotton absorbs moisture and some of the cheaper wool socks are blended, stay away from the blend and get 100% wool.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Sendero View Post
                On The Edge got it right.

I struggled with cold feet for a long time. I tried the sock liner with good quality wool socks and that helped up to about 38 degrees. But the cold hunts in Kansas were still brutal on my feet.

I bought a pair of Artic Shield boot covers and that solved my cold feet problem. I drop a hand warmer into each boot cover at camp, snap the boot covers to my backpack and head to my stand. Once I'm up in my lock on stand, I slip the boot covers over my boots and I can sit in comfort all day.
                I concur. This is the first season I have not dealt with cold feet and I hunted out of a ladder stand instead of a blind for the first time as well. I rolled my big jacket up and strapped it to my pack, dressed light to walk to the stand, took my rubber boots off when I got up there and put on my icebreaker boot blankets with some cheap ski boots in them and a couple hand warmers. Several times, I would be sweating when I got up there and then I left my boots off for a bit and let the wind dry my feet/socks off. I did not get cold feet once.

Comment

I wear a thin sock liner and a good sock, like Smartwool.

The main reason I wear a sock liner is because my heels for some reason have always been prone to getting blisters and a liner definitely helps with this.

Big thing to keep in mind is to not have your boots fit too tight. If you know you will ne using them during cold weather hunts, try them on at the store with heavier socks. Tight boots restrict blood and air flow which is a big factor leading to cold feet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                    Bunny boots would be overkill for use in TX. Just my opinion. They are for extreme cold weather, like -50 degrees. I had a pair of the black ones when I lived in the Anchorage area and never wore them. They’re bulky and feel like you’re wearing clown shoes!

Ken, what are you going to be doing up there. Make sure you open the air valve if you’re flying otherwise thy might explode.
                    Went on a trapping, ptarmigan hunting, snowmobiling, dog sledding trip to Rainy Pass Lodge. The bunny boots worked great but they are very heavy. Which wasn't a big deal since you can't walk very far in the deep snow. It was -10 degrees and the bunny boots were comfortable. They would be too hot for Texas and there are lighter options.
                    Last edited by ken; 09-29-2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                      The key is.............
                      Keep your feet dry................
                      One of the first things I do, when I get in a blind...........
                      Is take my boots off, for awhile....Let my feet breathe...............
                      I do the same.

Comment

Seal skin socks at bass pro.

Comment

I put on my first pair of wool socks last night and hopped into bed. Compared to what I have slept in for the last 33 years, the heat from the socks felt like it was radiating... My feet had finally been able to be described as "toasty."

The best part was Amazon said they lost the package and I was eligible for a refund last week. I got thee refund then they still shipped it and we got the package Saturday. Nothing beats free. Free free free.

Comment

Had same problem !
                            Turned out being a vitamin D deficiency.
                            I take it daily now and am doing great.

Comment

Working...
                            X