Cold feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
    Keeping the rest of my body warm, keeps my feet warm. Layering my upper and lower body, good scarf around my neck and a warm hat. When it’s really cold, the stick on toe warmers work well on the outside of my boot then covered with boot blankets.
    There’s an old saying...”if your feet are cold, put on a better hat”. And as previously stated, keeping your feet dry will help.

Comment

Quality wool socks are a game changer. My feet used to sweat in my workboats in the summer where i would change boots and and socks twice a day until i switched to wools socks. No more wet feet. As others have said you can use a liner like a silk sock and then find a good wool sock (I only wear Darn Tough, but i've also heard good things about Farm to Feet)

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
        Quality wool socks are a game changer. My feet used to sweat in my workboats in the summer where i would change boots and and socks twice a day until i switched to wools socks. No more wet feet. As others have said you can use a liner like a silk sock and then find a good wool sock (I only wear Darn Tough, but i've also heard good things about Farm to Feet)
        Man. Wool socks in the summer? They aren't uncomfortably warm?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Man. Wool socks in the summer? They aren't uncomfortably warm?
          Not at all. I used to think my boots were leaking because my feet were always wet. I had even bought new boots and still had the same problem. Once i switched to Darn Tough socks, my sweaty foot problem went away, even in the summer.

Expensive, but lifetime warranty on the socks. I've sent 3 pair back with holes in them and got 3 new pair no questions asked. I own about 8 pair of the boot socks and 4 pair of their casual socks. I'll never wear another brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
            Not at all. I used to think my boots were leaking because my feet were always wet. I had even bought new boots and still had the same problem. Once i switched to Darn Tough socks, my sweaty foot problem went away, even in the summer.

Expensive, but lifetime warranty on the socks. I've sent 3 pair back with holes in them and got 3 new pair no questions asked. I own about 8 pair of the boot socks and 4 pair of their casual socks. I'll never wear another brand.
            Good info. Thanks. I hate socks that fall down. Are these shorter or longer?

Comment

I’ve heard of people that have a real problem with their feet sweating use antiperspirant on their feet. I know it sounds crazy but I hear it really works. Another thing you might try is getting boot blankets and actually put on very light socks then after your in the blynd put the boot blankets on.

Comment

1. Hot Hands foot insole warmers are awesome!!

2. Has anyone had good luck wearing bunny boots?? I heard Steve Rinella talk about them one time. Not great for stalking but great for sitting still.

Sportsman's Guide carries top-quality discount Outdoor and Hunting Gear, Guns, Ammo, Fishing Supplies and more - all at great low prices!

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                  Moisture wicking thin socks and wool socks.
                  Polypropylene socks and wool over that. Works very well for hiking and just sitting in the stand. The Little Buddy heater is an excellent idea as well. I wear the Cabela's wool socks everyday summer or winter. They work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Good info. Thanks. I hate socks that fall down. Are these shorter or longer?

They have different heights, crew height and then a taller one I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wool.

Comment

Merino wool socks of various thicknesses inside of boots that aren't insulated and breathe pretty well is my answer. I have Darn Tough, Smartwool, and Lorpen merino socks in various thicknesses from a medium thickness to a very thin sock liner. I sometimes wear as many as three sock layers.

I have some older Danner Pronghorns that are my regular boots and some newer Crispi Wyomings that I wear if I am going to be hiking around a bunch or it is going to be very cold. The Crispis have very ample toe box room and I can wear three layers of socks in them easily. Neither of these boots are insulated. I have had the Crispis out in weather down to 10 degrees and driving snow with no problems on a Colorado elk hunt.

I tend to run hot, but I don't have problems with feet sweat in either of these boots in cold weather.

I also wear the merino wool in summer sometimes and they are great. Smartwool and Darn Tough both make light wool socks that do well in the summer months.

Comment

Don't wear boots that are too tight restricting blood flow and feet sweating are the two major causes of cold feet. If you are going to wear thick wool socks in your everyday boots they are probably going to be way too tight

Comment

Last time I hunted in the very cold, I put sock liners on, then the toasty toes, then a wool sock. My feet never got cold.

I will also add - when I get into a tree stand, tripod or ladder stand, the metal is so cold it will ruin my hunt faster than anything and my feet will be in pain in short order. To combat this, I put plywood on the floor or carry a seat cushion to put my feet on and keep them off the metal.

Comment

Spray your feet with deodorant before putting your socks on. This will help keep your feet from sweating and getting cold from the moisture.

Comment

On my last hunt in the 2019 season my feet got cold like they always did and I swore it would never happen again. I finally broke down and said that I was going to spend some good money on this. I ended up with smartwool socks and an insulated boot. I have not had an issue since.

Comment

Working...
                                X