Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor.......gotta see this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cwill View Post
    Got a RAP 6.5 on Black Friday for my little boy because someone stole his deer rifle the Wednesday before. I was away from home and had to do quick sight in so he could hunt with it the remainder of the weekend. I grabbed a bore snake and cleaned it a few times with that before and during initial sight in. I've since played with it and cleaned it properly, but I'm not seeing the accuracy that most of you are. Is it possible that an improper break in may be the cause? I've shot the Hornady American white tails and the federal 140 grain non typical so far. Also 3 rounds of superformance 129's which were the least accurate of the 3 rounds tested. I did open the barrel channel up a bit, but just screwed the action screws back in snug because I don't have a torque wrench? Could that be a problem? Also threw some high rings on it since that is all Bass pro had that day so maybe some lower rings would help? I'd like to get this thing shooting as good as possible for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Mine hated superformance and the 120 grain ammo. It shoots the American Whitetail pretty good. It loves the Hornady precision hunter in 143 Gr ELD-X. Next best is the 140 grain Hornady black.

Comment

Got a RAP 6.5 on Black Friday for my little boy because someone stole his deer rifle the Wednesday before. I was away from home and had to do quick sight in so he could hunt with it the remainder of the weekend. I grabbed a bore snake and cleaned it a few times with that before and during initial sight in. I've since played with it and cleaned it properly, but I'm not seeing the accuracy that most of you are. Is it possible that an improper break in may be the cause? I've shot the Hornady American white tails and the federal 140 grain non typical so far. Also 3 rounds of superformance 129's which were the least accurate of the 3 rounds tested. I did open the barrel channel up a bit, but just screwed the action screws back in snug because I don't have a torque wrench? Could that be a problem? Also threw some high rings on it since that is all Bass pro had that day so maybe some lower rings would help? I'd like to get this thing shooting as good as possible for him. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
      I would take it apart and start over.
      You say you were in a hurry when setting it up.
      I have found a couple loose screws in the factory mounted bases.
      As far as break in, I don't have any special rituals. Just load it and shoot and clean when dirty.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        Mine hated superformance and the 120 grain ammo. It shoots the American Whitetail pretty good. It loves the Hornady precision hunter in 143 Gr ELD-X. Next best is the 140 grain Hornady black.
        I will pick up the eld-x and blacks to try. The American whitetails I had we're 129's and they shot about as well as the 140gr federal soft points. The Hornady blacks are not a suitable hunting bullet correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
          I would take it apart and start over.
          You say you were in a hurry when setting it up.
          I have found a couple loose screws in the factory mounted bases.
          As far as break in, I don't have any special rituals. Just load it and shoot and clean when dirty.

Had Bass pro of all places set it up and bore sight due to time and not having the proper tools. Everything seems tight and level, but I plan to change the rings when I can so I'll start over then. I need to get a torque wrench to make sure everything is in spec. My concern on the breaking in is that I didn't scrub the bore properly prior to the first shots secondary to only having the bore snake. I put about 12 rounds through it for sight in and a couple more on hogs so hopefully that didn't bother anything. Thanks

Comment

Had Bass pro of all places set it up and bore sight due to time and not having the proper tools. Everything seems tight and level, but I plan to change the rings when I can so I'll start over then. I need to get a torque wrench to make sure everything is in spec. My concern on the breaking in is that I didn't scrub the bore properly prior to the first shots secondary to only having the bore snake. I put about 12 rounds through it for sight in and a couple more on hogs so hopefully that didn't bother anything. Thanks
            I wouldn't be worried about the break in procedure; I would be worried about the scope / rings. The 6.5 RAPs seem to consistently shine with ELD-X and mine's no exception. Good luck getting it dialed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              I wouldn't be worried about the break in procedure; I would be worried about the scope / rings. The 6.5 RAPs seem to consistently shine with ELD-X and mine's no exception. Good luck getting it dialed in.
              So the scope is a Leupold vx3i 4.4-14x50 with 1" tube. Rings are Nikon steel series highs. The rings have left and right halves and look like the warne Maxima rings. They seem very solid but the bottom of the objective is a good bit higher than the top of the barrel. Not sure how much that matters?

Comment

I will pick up the eld-x and blacks to try. The American whitetails I had we're 129's and they shot about as well as the 140gr federal soft points. The Hornady blacks are not a suitable hunting bullet correct?
                Correct.

Comment

I haven’t used the blacks for hunting but have heard they are acceptable to use in predators and hogs. I’m sure others will chime in that have experience with them.

Comment

I haven’t used the blacks for hunting but have heard they are acceptable to use in predators and hogs. I’m sure others will chime in that have experience with them.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      Ditto. Loves the Black.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                        Post up your chrono results please. I would love to know what it does with the 18" barrel.

Average 2445
                        SD - 11.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just ordered one for my wife along with a Timney Trigger. Excited to see what it does! I did notice that the options for aftermarket hunting stocks is limited.

Comment

So the scope is a Leupold vx3i 4.4-14x50 with 1" tube. Rings are Nikon steel series highs. The rings have left and right halves and look like the warne Maxima rings. They seem very solid but the bottom of the objective is a good bit higher than the top of the barrel. Not sure how much that matters?
                            The high rings might affect your cheek weld. I prefer a good,solid cheek weld and usually go for the lowest rings that will give me a solid cheek weld. My CZ 527 American would only allow for the high rings with a 40 mm objective due to the height of the bolt when opened. I bought a comb raising kit that solved the problem. I could have ordered a replacement bolt, but they were always out of stock.

Comment

This is the black at 120 yards. Acceptable?

Comment

The Sierra 130 TGK is also an excellent round. Loaded towards the top of max load with H4350 yielded 2720 FPS and sub MOA group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X