Arrow weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight?

I got curious the other day and weighed a few parts of my arrow setup and came out to approx 390. I’m shooting aboit 63lbs and 28” draw. Am I at a good spot on this?

I’m shooting 69#@28.5” about 480gr arrow +\- I ran a arrow through a 150-175lb boar the other day so fast I thought I missed.

Heavy is almost always better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
      I got curious the other day and weighed a few parts of my arrow setup and came out to approx 390. I’m shooting aboit 63lbs and 28” draw. Am I at a good spot on this?
      You’re good. I’ve killed over 100 deer with basically the same setup.

Comment

It'll work for whitetail and hogs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sure, as long as you don’t hit solid bone. Were you more or less than 390? What’s your FOC?

I’m shootin 568 grains. That’ll kill anything I want to shoot at! It’s killed everything from a vervet monkey up to a kudu.

Comment

390 TAW is definitely on the light side but it will do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
              Sure, as long as you don’t hit solid bone. Were you more or less than 390? What’s your FOC?

I’m shootin 568 grains. That’ll kill anything I want to shoot at! It’s killed everything from a vervet monkey up to a kudu.
              I was around 389.5, rounded to 390 to take on consideration some glue. Used 13gr for insert and I weighed a lighted nock on a gram scale at 1.3 grams and converted. I may not be exact at 390 but shouldn’t be far off it. I calculated 12.04% earlier. 27” arrow, 100gr head, blazers and lighted nock.

I’ve shot a couple pigs the past few weeks, smaller pigs but get good pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                390 TAW is definitely on the light side but it will do the job.

I figured it was kinda light, it’s screaming

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                  You’re good. I’ve killed over 100 deer with basically the same setup.
                  That’s good to hear, I really don’t think I want to start adding weight and have to redo what I have going on. Not sure what all I could add to it to get 100+ grains put into it.

Comment

Perfectly fine. I use fixed broad heads and prefer tuning arrows around 450-500. Preference...

Comment

Confidence is key- don’t change anything if you don’t need to. Agree that arrow weight is light however. FWIW- I shoot 27.5” draw, 70lbs, 501gr arrow.

Comment

Too light for me---I shoot 525 gr setup ouf of 58 lbs. And, due to the brushy nature of my lease, my shots are limited to 30 and under so trajectory isn't an issue.

Comment

28" draw 70#'s 510gr TAW.

I prefer a heavier arrow.

Comment

60lbs, 28” draw with a 425gr arrow at 252fps. I haven’t hunted with this setup, but I’m confident it’ll do the trick on anything walking around in my Slice if Texas.

Comment

I was shooting about the same weight arrow as you and it took me hitting one buck square in the shoulder and getting little penetration to switch to a heavier high FOC arrow.

Now shooting a 520 grain arrow, 65 pounds, 29 inch draw at 250 fps.

Comment

Working...
                              X