No announcement yet.

What's the best 7mm cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to shoot lighter bullets like 120, 140 or 150 go with 280ai. If your wanting to shoot big heavy reloads like 180 or 190 berger go with a magnum like the rem mag, weatherby or ultra mag.

Comment

You did not mention the 7mm RUM in your original post. I would highly consider it. It is like the the STW on steroids. The STW is a great round as well however and I have shot them both.
      I currently shoot the RUM and I load everything from 110 gr to 160 gr in the Barnes bullets. My go to load for it most of the time though is the 145 gr Barnes LRX bullet.
      Something else to think about.

Comment

Like all the other RUM chamberings, the 7mm RUM is also very efficient.

Comment

7mm saum it will do what your looking to do and do it very well!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffpg View Post
            Like all the other RUM chamberings, the 7mm RUM is also very efficient.

And extremely finicky....

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
              I am shooting the 7 STW at 3050 fps love that gun have shot it out to 1800 yrds it does great ! using the 168 gr Berger hunting VLD's

I'm shooting the 168 Bergers with 83 grs. of Retumbo at 3200. Shoots in the .2-.3's. Factory Remington 700 Stainless Fluted Synthetic, Timiney and a Huskamaw 5.5x20 with a Whitt machine brake.

Comment

Can the STW be built off the same bolt face as the standard 7mm rem mag?

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                  Can the STW be built off the same bolt face as the standard 7mm rem mag?

Yes
                  The STW is a sweet cartridge, recoil is manageable so no muzzle break needed.
                  I've killed stuff in Africa from eland to a hartebeest at 890 meter out

Comment

How big are the animals you planets hunt out over 1,000 yards? Pushing the same projectile it turns into a energy game. The bullet doesn't know what head stamp is on the brass. For elk and large stuff 1,000 yards is at the top end of the killing energy for 7rm 7 lrm and it equivalents (arguebly) . It's tough to walk into a store and purchase a factory rifle and it have a twist rate to handle the big long heavy high BC bullets that shine long range. I built a 7 STW with a 1 in 9 just before the new 195 elite Hunter was announced. Problem with that bullet is that fact that it is so long that it's pretty much a dedicated single shot bullet. You may get away with getting it in the magazine in a 28 Nosler. Forget about that aspect in a 7 STW or 7 RUM.
                    I'm shooting a 168 Berger @ 3085 on top of 78 grains of Retumbo. It's produces groups in the .1-.2 MOA range consistently for me. If you are going with a custom build pick your bullet first and order twist rate accordingly. My buddy Will has a 1:8 28 Nosler due in any day. He built it for the new 195s. In theory it should really buck the wind and is one super slippery bullet. We took my STW out to west Texas with long range aoudad in mind. We took 3 sheep at 630,635 and 650 yards with my STW. There's not a bad option when considering the .284 class but each has its own positive aspects and negative. You must pick what fits you personally the best. Barrel life on the big boys will be limited but that's the price you pay to get those speeds. 7mm-08 isn't a bad option inside 700. The 280AI is a monster but doesn't stand in the same category as the big over bore magnums when it comes to 1,000 yard killing energy.
                    My next .284 build will be 1:8 28 Nosler on a 26" Proof Reaserch carbon barrel. It achieve all the benefits of running heavy sense to type contour but 60% less weight. Proof Research actually claims their carbon technology wicks heat from the bore which will reduce throat erosion during higher volume shooting ( working up a handload this will really come in handy)thus giving you more barrel life.

Comment

Great info! I like the idea of a proof research barrel with a break to cut weight a bit. I doubt I will ever take a shot at an animal past 6 or 700 yds but I want it to be a hammer. If I ever go on a moose hunt or brown bear hunt, this future rifle will likely be the one that I take.

Originally posted by Roosterpt1 View Post
                      How big are the animals you planets hunt out over 1,000 yards? Pushing the same projectile it turns into a energy game. The bullet doesn't know what head stamp is on the brass. For elk and large stuff 1,000 yards is at the top end of the killing energy for 7rm 7 lrm and it equivalents (arguebly) . It's tough to walk into a store and purchase a factory rifle and it have a twist rate to handle the big long heavy high BC bullets that shine long range. I built a 7 STW with a 1 in 9 just before the new 195 elite Hunter was announced. Problem with that bullet is that fact that it is so long that it's pretty much a dedicated single shot bullet. You may get away with getting it in the magazine in a 28 Nosler. Forget about that aspect in a 7 STW or 7 RUM.
                      I'm shooting a 168 Berger @ 3085 on top of 78 grains of Retumbo. It's produces groups in the .1-.2 MOA range consistently for me. If you are going with a custom build pick your bullet first and order twist rate accordingly. My buddy Will has a 1:8 28 Nosler due in any day. He built it for the new 195s. In theory it should really buck the wind and is one super slippery bullet. We took my STW out to west Texas with long range aoudad in mind. We took 3 sheep at 630,635 and 650 yards with my STW. There's not a bad option when considering the .284 class but each has its own positive aspects and negative. You must pick what fits you personally the best. Barrel life on the big boys will be limited but that's the price you pay to get those speeds. 7mm-08 isn't a bad option inside 700. The 280AI is a monster but doesn't stand in the same category as the big over bore magnums when it comes to 1,000 yard killing energy.
                      My next .284 build will be 1:8 28 Nosler on a 26" Proof Reaserch carbon barrel. It achieve all the benefits of running heavy sense to type contour but 60% less weight. Proof Research actually claims their carbon technology wicks heat from the bore which will reduce throat erosion during higher volume shooting ( working up a handload this will really come in handy)thus giving you more barrel life.

Comment

Working...
                      X