Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks white falcon. Great looking chocolate

Comment

My first one was a yellow lab out of field trial stock. Had him for 13+ years and he was my best friend in the world. Lost him a couple of years ago and still not quite over it. A great dog but a little higher strung than I would have liked. Was just full of so much energy in the field. You could almost feel it. At home he was a regular couch dog. But he couldn't relax while we were hunting. Was wound so tight and so ready to go retrieve another bird. By the time he was about 10 he finally calmed down a little lol. I'm not ready for another one yet, but if I do get one I'll look for one that is not out of field trial stock. Something a little easier going out of good hunting stock. Maybe some English breeding.
      Good luck on finding another one. Almost makes me want to start looking.

Comment

Number 1 thing.......don't take me. I have the ability to pick the dumbest lab out of every litter. I had a chocolate that wouldn't get in water

Comment

I have had several great labs and to this day will watch and study them and THE ONE has always picked me.

Comment

Lol, yes some can be apprehensive about water. Work and play with them on a warm day and the walk by a pond so they can get a drink most will drink after that wade in a bit and forget all about the fear of water.

Comment

Here's a few pics of my best buddy! He'll be two on Pearl Harbor Day. He's 103 lbs...solid muscle! We actually got him from a TBH'r in Conroe. Just a backyard breeding. He is AKC/UKC registered and I do run him in hunt tests. I do that to give me a reason to keep training him. He is the most outstanding dog that I have ever had. He'll do anything in the field....he has his SHR and HR titles. We run our first finished test next weekend...going for his HRCH title. He loves to retrieve....training...hunting...laundry...lol...w hatever! But he is the most lovable dog with myself, my wife, and our grandkids. He loves playing football with my grandson. I'm gonna really enjoy him while I'm blessed with him. It breaks my heart to know he won't be here forever. God bless all of you that have lost your friends!
              Attached Files

Comment

I drove from Austin to Ft. Worth to pick out a puppy. The breeder had different colored collars on the pups based on what she observed. Some liked water better, some were more social etc. When I got there she gave me all the info on the puppies and told me that most of the time the puppy picks the owner. About 30 minutes into playing with the pups all but one went to sleep. She started smiling and I took Freya home. I put her in a laundry basket for the ride home and I had a rolled up sock I would toss in the basket and she would pick up and give it back to me. She is 11 now and starting to slow down but she is a once in a lifetime dog. She points Pheasants, tracks deer, after I shoot my limit with dove she goes and sits by someone else.

Comment

I've had nothing but field trial breedings in the last 30 years, some were wound up too tight but most could relax in a house. I have had some chocolate all shades of yellow and some black dogs. It's a crap shoot on the one you end up with but I prefer my chances with a field bred breeding.

Comment

You need to take a look at retriever training forum and entry express and look at the breedings that are out there. Yes some of the prices can be high , but unless you know someone youll never get into the elite breedings that are unrealistic in price for a 7 week old pup. Best of luck in your search for that one dog.

Comment

I have always let the dog pick me. Sounds funny but I have had some good dogs over the years. First pup that comes out to greet me and wants to follow me around not caring about it's litter mates or it's mamma gets to go home with me.

Comment

I will look into the retriever training forum
                        I was not aware of it. Thanks

Comment

Look at the parents, like begets like.
                          Then close your eyes and grab a pup, it will all work out.

Comment

There are no guarantees, but a strong pedigree laden with AFC/FC or MH titles gives you a better shot at ending up with a great dog. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ll be “hot” dogs or high-strung. One of my Labs has 7 NFC’s in his bloodline and you hardly ever notice that he’s in the house. My other one is sired by an NFC and he can run a bit hot but is still an excellent family house dog. Formal training makes a big difference, too. Sorry to hear about your pup. It’s a very tough deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                              You need to take a look at retriever training forum and entry express and look at the breedings that are out there. Yes some of the prices can be high , but unless you know someone youll never get into the elite breedings that are unrealistic in price for a 7 week old pup. Best of luck in your search for that one dog.
                              ^^^^^^^
                              This

Comment

Originally posted by Mastercaster View Post
                                There are no guarantees, but a strong pedigree laden with AFC/FC or MH titles gives you a better shot at ending up with a great dog. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ll be “hot” dogs or high-strung. One of my Labs has 7 NFC’s in his bloodline and you hardly ever notice that he’s in the house. My other one is sired by an NFC and he can run a bit hot but is still an excellent family house dog. Formal training makes a big difference, too. Sorry to hear about your pup. It’s a very tough deal.
                                I agree with this and make sure they are hip, eye and EIC negative.
                                Also, don’t settle for what is close and ready but be willing to wait for what you’re looking for. .
                                I drove from Austin to Waterloo, Iowa to get mine. Worth every mile.

Comment

Working...
                                X