Is this common at your job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
    If one of my guys tells me they need time - for anything - I encourage them to take it and enjoy themselves. When they get back from that time off, we talk about whatever it was that they did and it's usually pretty good stuff. I find that brings them back refreshed and ready to push hard again in the shop.
    That's scheduled time. The employer has time to adjust for that. Pretty sure the OP is talking about call in.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
      I teach, and a coworker on my grade level team took a day and a half off last week, and we already had Friday off, to plan her daughter’s birthday party for Saturday. She’s also going on a week long vacation in November. Teaching is a little different, because when you’re out it messes up your kids and everyone else has to deal with them. We also have a lot of time off to begin with, so it’s pretty irritating when people are irresponsible with their days and extra work falls on the rest of us. She’ll also only have 1.5 days of PTO left to last the last 6 months of school. They’re her days, but it’s still indicative of the mindset that a lot of folks have these days.
      My wife is a 24 year vet of teaching…if they give the days then use them.

It is a failure on the admin if it cause extra work.

If you cannot be gone then they dont pay enough…i feel for you…school is a nightmare nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
        Calling in sick?
        Don't most companies offer sick/personal days? Serious question, I'm self employeed

Comment

No. The company I work for has zero sick days. My schedule lets me be off during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            Don't most companies offer sick/personal days? Serious question, I'm self employeed
            Yes they do. But some people abuse it and then they don't have any time left before they just don't get paid for that day.

Comment

I never miss unless my kids are sick and I can’t find someone to keep them, I despise missing work because I know my students won’t do crap if I’m gone.

Comment

I earned 4,440 hours of sick time in my career of just over 37 years. I left with almost 4,000 hours in the bank. I took off 11 weeks of sick time in those 37 years. We worked 10 hour days so I averaged a little over one day a year off sick. I think twice I was out for 4 days at a stretch with the flu or some other respiratory issue. Realistically I would go about 2-3 years without taking a sick day.

Before I retired, we had officers (we earned 120 hours a year sick by state law) had been there for 5 years so had earned 15 weeks off sick… and they had zero hours of sick time in the back. It is hardly because they need time off. We worked 4 days a week and got a minimum of 5 weeks a year vacation. If they don’t use comp time and even if they don’t use any sick time, they are still off 176 days a year. Apparently that still isn’t enough.

Obviously laziness is not new but I don’t remember having an issue trying to staff a shift 30 years ago. I think a lot of it is generational.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                  What I can tell you is that if you do three things, you will be put yourself ahead of 75% of the workforce automatically.

SHOW UP on time
                  Have a positive attitude
                  Show initiative
                  If you do all 3 of those things, it will definitely put you ahead of most of the workforce. My wife and I observed years ago that it seems like you only have to do 2 things to impress an employer:
                  Show up on time
                  Do what you're told

That seemed like a really low standard to us, but it's amazing how many people can't/don't meet it. And not just in minimum-wage jobs. We see it in the "professional" world, too.

Comment

It’s common at mine, and I’m of this younger generation many of you speak of I reckon. We have people of all ages who can’t make it on time, can’t follow basic rules, can’t keep people informed of basic things that might be pertinent to their supervisors. Doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve been told that my hard work will be remembered come time for raises, and I watched someone get a healthy raise after being caught sleeping on the job and stealing company time. Guess I should threaten to quit more often if I don’t get my way, seems to be how everyone gets ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm so very proud of all the things that I didn't type on this thread, but not near as happy as my HR Department is for me not typing all the things that I didn't type on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                        Or just at mine? Why can't people get out of bed and show up to work? In 4 years I've taken 5 days off other than personal days I had acquired. And those 5 days were for funerals so it's not like I took off for a good time. Seems like every week a certain few can't make it to work 5 days in a row. And it's not just a generational thing. There are a few that are plenty old enough to know they should get to work.

I just don't get it. I have the time I can take off if needed but I have an obligation to show up. I don't understand it at all.

That’s why I quit managing people and went into sales. I only have to worry about myself and don’t get ****** off when people call in all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          It's really none of my business. If they don't have the hours to take off they don't get paid. Just sucks when someone that has over 80 hours that can be used up is told no when it's only for a few hours. But it is what it is.

I won't feel bad about taking off for a week during huntin season. They obviously don't respect me or anyone else that has to pick up their slack or have important things to do when they're gone. What comes around goes around.
                          Why would you feel bad? I'm taking several weeks off during huntin season. Sho dont feel bad about it it's my vacation days

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I call in sick every Friday. [emoji16]. I will be out of sick time...just in time.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Used to work with one of those
                              Overheard the doc we were working ith offer her $100 if she could make it to work on time for a week.
                              When she walked off I said I wanted in on that deal, he lauughed and said "no way, you will get my money. She can't do it"
                              She lasted until day 2 and was late
                              I have had to call in a couple of time in the last 2 years due to Covid and pneumonia. My boss knows when I call in I am really sick or something serious is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                                I'm so very proud of all the things that I didn't type on this thread, but not near as happy as my HR Department is for me not typing all the things that I didn't type on this thread.
                                Pleading the 5th is a cop out

This thread reminds me of Larry The Cable Guys take on Walmarts hiring practices

“Have you ever cared about anything in your life” (is the interview question)
                                Answer: No

You start Tuesday in the DVD section

Comment

Working...
                                X