No announcement yet.

Homemade Sauerkraut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down here in Snook at the Watering Hole, people bring in their canned items. The sauerkraut that is available is the best I’ve ever had. It sells out really quick.

Comment

The Watering Hole? Where in Snook is that?

TD2000 - where can I get a crock like that?

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Crocks

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          The Watering Hole? Where in Snook is that?

TD2000 - where can I get a crock like that?
          Here are 2 crocks to consider. I would go with nothing smaller than a 10L or 2.6 gallons. Lean more to 3 gallon.

First selection is made in USA and is worth the slight increase in cost. You just need the crock and weights. No need for smasher. Best to hand knead smaller amounts to bring out juice or brine as noted earlier in thread. Make sure to measure your cabbage and salt.

This 2 Gallon Water Seal Fermentation Crock Starter Kit includes a 2 Gallon Water Seal Crock, 2 Gallon Crock Cover, and 3 Gallon Weight Set. This is a high-quality thick-walled fermentation crock, inspired by traditional European fermenting crock designs. This hand-finished glazed stoneware is a breeze to clean and sanitary. American Made by Ohio Stoneware in Zanesville, Ohio! No matter your favorite fermentation recipe, the frequency with which you ferment, or the quantity of fermented food you produce, this is the perfect fermentation crock for all of your home fermentation needs.

Once you get the cabbage rollin' you will find yourself make homemade Pastrami (easy and great) Hard to beat a home made hot pastrami, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, russian or thousand island dressing, on rye.
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry as all the pieces I cut off that pastrami disappeared

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
                Would be great to have someone that's done it awhile and get a few helpful pointers on making it. Haven't had a chance to try some that was home made other than mine. Definitely different than store bought.
                Her husband, Heinz, past away earlier this year. Greta (yes thats her real name) is moving to her daughters next week. Not going to get a chance to learn from her.

Comment

How are y'all processing or storing the jars once it’s finished?

Comment

Originally posted by twostepct View Post
                    How are y'all processing or storing the jars once it’s finished?
                    I finally gave in and decided to try mine @ 11 days in. It tastes really good. Not to sour and has a little crunch. I put it in jars and place in the refrigerator. I already have more cabbage on order for my next batch. I plan on 21 plus days for my next batch. My wife even tried it and liked it and she`s not a sauerkraut fan. Sausage and Kraut for supper tomorrow.

Comment

I tried making some last year with some leftover cabbage but I didn’t care for the results but I definitely want to try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                        I tried making some last year with some leftover cabbage but I didn’t care for the results but I definitely want to try again.
                        I really didn`t know what to expect since I hadn`t tried any homemade since the late 60`s and I was just a kid then. Mine never had any bad smell and it smelled just like it should when I took the plastic bag with water off. My wife liking it is a true testament to how good it tastes.

Comment

Ok thank you. This thread cost me some money because I ordered a crock last night. I love kraut and have made some in jars in the past but it was hit or miss. I’m hoping this levels things out.

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                          I finally gave in and decided to try mine @ 11 days in. It tastes really good. Not to sour and has a little crunch. I put it in jars and place in the refrigerator. I already have more cabbage on order for my next batch. I plan on 21 plus days for my next batch. My wife even tried it and liked it and she`s not a sauerkraut fan. Sausage and Kraut for supper tomorrow.

Comment

Once done your canning jars need to go in refrigerator to stop the process and preserve

Adding heat and canning kills the biotics

Comment

Just put some hot pastrami, home made sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese, on toasted rye

Everyone raved on goodness

Comment

So how do you preserve for long term? I don't have enough space in my refrigerator to store a lot of jars.

Comment

Working...
                                X