Homemade Sauerkraut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Sauerkraut

First attempt. I ate some when I was about 10 or 11 years old @ my grandmothers, and it was awesome. Haven`t had any since. I have always liked Sauerkraut and had it lots growing up. Time will tell. I`m gonna trust the process. This is 2 heads in a gallon jar. I`m going to go 12-14 days before I try it.

Whats your recipe?

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      Whats your recipe?

Good luck.
      I used this YouTube video for the win.
      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Laj1-whtBs0&t=154s"]Sauerkraut Ferment from Start to Finish || Black Gumbo - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

We enjoy it with purple cabbage but it’s all good!

Comment

Didn't like it as a kid but I do now. I had an Uncle that use to make it. He since has past. Now that I started making it, I wish I had went to my Uncle while he was making his. My kids bought me a crock a year ago.

Good luck on your first attempt.

Comment

I love it but have never made it or even had homemade. Sparks my interest.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Homemade Sauerkraut

I made some last winter and it didn’t turn out as good as I wanted. I used a recipe that I got from a friend in Michigan. Bunch of salt and layers of cabbage. After you smash it and have juice covering the cabbage I jammed an apple to the bottom of the crock. Next I covered with full cabbage leaves. Then a plate and gallon jug of water to keep the cabbage in the juice.

It’s a lot of work and not like the sauerkraut you buy at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Last edited by Stolle; 09-15-2022, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the video and good fermenting MrPack.
                  Between sauerkraut and kimchi, I reckon I need to tinker some.

Gramdmas recipes always kick ***.

Comment

An old German lady that lives down the street brings me sauerkraut every once in a while. It is the best I've ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                      An old German lady that lives down the street brings me sauerkraut every once in a while. It is the best I've ever had.
                      Would be great to have someone that's done it awhile and get a few helpful pointers on making it. Haven't had a chance to try some that was home made other than mine. Definitely different than store bought.

Comment

If you're going to buy store bought ain't but one place. Fischers market in Muenster, Tx and while you're there buy some Taco flavored hot links. Both are dang good.

Comment

Kraut Recipe

Make a pretty good batch if I say so myself. Here are my tips and recipe.

Get a water sealed crock (shown in picture-has water moat to seal out air)

Use 3 Tablespoons of pink Himalayan salt per 5 pounds of cabbage. I hand mix/knead in tub to bring out brine in following measures and increments to complete 5 lbs. Use a measuring scale.
                          1 1/2 lb cabbage with 1 Tbs salt
                          1 1/2 lb cabbage with 1 Tbs salt
                          2 lb cabbage with 1 Tbs salt

My crock holds 7 large heads of cabbage & produces 8 to 9 quarts

Large leaf on both top and bottom of cabbage. Pack it tight in crock. Keep water in moat so it does not let air in and will not develop mold.

I leave mine in crock for 12 weeks during the winter months in a dark cool closet. I prefer when it gets to the golden color as shown in the picture.

I will be using the sauerkraut on a pastrami I made and am putting on the smoker tomorrow. Hard to beat home made sauerkraut on a hot pastrami sandwich with cheese on rye and Russian dressing. Kraut is also good with slow cooked ribs and hot dogs.

Enjoy
                          Attached Files

Comment

not a huge fan but the wife likes it. I am going to make a batch for her.

Comment

Lady in town has made some homemade. It is fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                              X