In search of a double digit bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
    I would definitely not rule out Falcon Lake. Call James at Falcon Lake Tackle and ask him who the best guides are and he will give you their contact. You hit Falcon just right and you will have the best day of fishing than anywhere in TX.

Definitely would start here. Gotta few out of here myself.

Comment

From now to the end of February this spot in Lake Austin has produced big time - 30.352281, -97.800693

On January 14, the second Legacy Class largemouth bass of the 2021 Toyota ShareLunker season was reeled in at Lake Austin. Angler CJ Oates of Lago Vista caught the 13. 02-pounder just a few days after “ShareLunker 586” was claimed at Sam Rayburn. “It was a last-minute decision whether to fish Lake Travis or Austin,” said Oates. “Luckily my good buddy John Davilla talked me into Austin. The bites started off very slow and at the first 5 spots we hit we had nothing.

Comment

Lake Picacho in Mexico. World class . 150-200 fish days 4-8 lbs and lots of 8-10 lb fish.

Comment

Originally posted by TreyRo View Post
          Not to derail the thread but is it really that crowded right now? I haven't been in years and thought about running out there one weekend in the next month or so since it''s day trip-able from the house.
          all the boat ramps are like airport parking lots right now and will be that way through April. Thats how it was last year and with over 5 or 6 DD caught already this year, itll be worse i assume

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
            all the boat ramps are like airport parking lots right now and will be that way through April. Thats how it was last year and with over 5 or 6 DD caught already this year, itll be worse i assume
            There's not a bass in the world worth that kinda hassle...lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 3 DD fish. All 3 were randomly caught at different times of year(summer, spring and spring) and only 1 (12.20) was really expected(buddy was catching some bruisers daily on Ray Roberts) My point is that in all my days of fishing, I had never really targeted a DD fish. It just happened by putting in the hours on the water. Doesn’t mean you can’t “target” a DD fish but I’d say he’s gonna spend some time.

Hottest lake? Ivey

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                there's not a bass in the world worth that kinda hassle...lol

…in my opinion.
                fify

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  I have 3 DD fish. All 3 were randomly caught at different times of year(summer, spring and spring) and only 1 (12.20) was really expected(buddy was catching some bruisers daily on Ray Roberts) My point is that in all my days of fishing, I had never really targeted a DD fish. It just happened by putting in the hours on the water. Doesn’t mean you can’t “target” a DD fish but I’d say he’s gonna spend some time.

Hottest lake? Ivey
                  I agree with this. I've only caught one DD. I've gotten close a few more times with fish in the 9's. I was never targeting a DD when I caught any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    fify
                    [emoji106]....you do you, lol
                    I get it though. There was a time, but not anymore.

Comment

I have caught several DD's over the years but none since I gave up bar hopping and landed my personal best DDD 17 years ago right out of my own neighborhood.

Comment

I've got a buddy who just got back from El Salto, 7lber was the biggest in their group. Not what I'd go to Mexico for.

I'd really research whats going on at each Mexican lake before I booked that.

OH Ivey or Alan Henry are the best options right now, especially if you can find a guide good with livescope. Ivey is getting pounded though.

Fork is 6ft low, that might position some of those big ones where they are easier to find. I plan to find out in the next few week.

I know Choke was doing pretty good for a while, but I never heard of many DD size fish in the last couple years. Lots of fish up to 8lbs. Maybe the locals were keeping the DD size fish under wraps. Good on them if they were.

Don't let anyone tell you Ray Roberts, I live here and love the lake but it has really struggled in the last 2 years. I mean really struggled. You could absolutely still catch a 10 but it is just not where I would spend my time if that is what I was looking for.

Comment

A couple of 14-pound bass were pulled out of O.H. Ivie in the first eight days of January. The lake produced 12 of the 23 Legacy ShareLunkers last year.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                            Don't let anyone tell you Ray Roberts, I live here and love the lake but it has really struggled in the last 2 years. I mean really struggled. You could absolutely still catch a 10 but it is just not where I would spend my time if that is what I was looking for.
                            I don't know that lake but couldn't believe how bad the fishing was for the bassmaster Classic last tons of guys couldn't even put together a limit, it was embarrassing. And after all those years of TPWD trying to manage it as a trophy fishery, it didn't work!

Comment

Like others have said, if he has a budget I’d consider:
                              1) El Salto Mexico ($$$$)- a fishing partner caught several dd here (12.5)
                              2) Camelot Bell ($$$) - I’ve fished it 2 times. Hit it right you may catch a few dd’s in one day or on a bad day you may catch one 4lb. (I have a 9.5 there and partner caught a 9.?) I think they may have a 16 in one of the lakes but both are fished hard and you have to be patient. I also think they’ve kept too many large ones to sell.
                              3) OHIvie ($)has several doubles in recent weeks. They’re on fire.
                              4) Fork ($)- it’s Fork, anything can happen. Night fishing seems to produce more dd’s
                              5) secret honey hole (referal fee only if dd is caught, must have own boat) pm for details

1. Had 4 friends just return this week from el salto- big fish of the entire lodge for the week was 7 pounds. The lake is fishing like garbage.
                              2. Camelot bell- Of the 4 mentioned this is your best bet. I had a friend purchase a trip for me and caught several DDs including an 11 pounder. Prob had 9 fish 8 pounds are better. As mentioned you have to hit it right. They either chew or they don't.
                              3. Oh Ivie- I saw it took 5 pounds to win a tournament there last weekend. It is a very small lake extremely low and crowded with fishermen. If you are not a professional with live scope don't expect to even have a chance.
                              4. Fork is being drawn down for dam repair right now and its 6 feet low. I have heard fishing is tough which is understood with how fast they drew it down.

Of all your options I would pick Camelot bell in April. Should be able to have the best shot.

Comment

A private lake will be your best bet.. There are a few in this state that sell packages and they have some monster bass.

Comment

Working...
                                X