Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me elk hunt outfitter/state recommendations !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appreciate you guys’ insight. We’re leaning towards a little more $$ for a private ranch hunt. Exploring Montana as well.

Willing to go $7k-$8k for hunt cost.

Still looking.

In terms of a “trophy” our expectations aren’t that high. And I know 4 bulls is tough. But we also won’t be hunting 4-1 with a guide. We’ll be split up.

A 250” bull would be shot immediately. Not asking for 300” bulls all around

I know it’s still a lot to ask tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been looking around for a few months and just booked a management elk hunt here

Trophy Elk Hunting at it's Finest. Guaranteed Elk Hunts in Utah and Idaho. Also Offering Mule Deer Hunts, Archery Elk Hunts and Buffalo Hunts on the West's Finest Wilderness Hunting Preserves.

Private land, they have places in Utah and Idaho, don't have to worry about drawing a tag. I chose Idaho as i have never been there and want to see it. I saw a lot of good reviews, they have several hunt packages/options. I tried a couple other places and they were already full for 2022, this place did not sound like it had many slots left

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        I have been looking around for a few months and just booked a management elk hunt here

Trophy Elk Hunting at it's Finest. Guaranteed Elk Hunts in Utah and Idaho. Also Offering Mule Deer Hunts, Archery Elk Hunts and Buffalo Hunts on the West's Finest Wilderness Hunting Preserves.

Private land, they have places in Utah and Idaho, don't have to worry about drawing a tag. I chose Idaho as i have never been there and want to see it. I saw a lot of good reviews, they have several hunt packages/options. I tried a couple other places and they were already full for 2022, this place did not sound like it had many slots left

Had a buddy and his son go with them last year in Idaho.?He said it was top notch. Was in the high fenced area. They killed great elk.

Comment

Look into Ranching For Wildlife ranches in Colorado and see if any have openings. You buy the tag from them and they have extended hunting seasons I believe unless it has changed.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is a nationally recognized leader in conservation, outdoor recreation and wildlife management. The agency​ manages 42 state parks, all of Colorado's wildlife, more than 300 state wildlife areas and a host of recreational programs. CPW issues hunting and fishing licenses, conducts research to improve wildlife management activities, protects high priority wildlife habitat through acquisitions and partnerships, provides technical assistance to private and other public landowners concerning wildlife and habitat management and develops programs to understand, protect and recover threatened and endangered species.

I hunted on the Deakins Ranch for mule deer and pronghorn one year. They have wintering elk so it is hit or miss with them. The page I linked shows success rates too.

Comment

[QUOTE=afishinman14;16011911]Appreciate you guys’ insight. We’re leaning towards a little more $$ for a private ranch hunt. Exploring Montana as well.

Willing to go $7k-$8k for hunt cost.

Still looking.

In terms of a “trophy” our expectations aren’t that high. And I know 4 bulls is tough. But we also won’t be hunting 4-1 with a guide. We’ll be split up.

A 250” bull would be shot immediately. Not asking for 300” bulls all around

I know it’s still a lot to ask tho

I think you are making a good decision. You should be able to find something in that range. I will PM you if I run into anything.

Comment

Give me elk hunt outfitter/state recommendations !!!

After much persistence… found a guide with a great reputation on private land in Montana. That has availability for 3-4 hunters in 2022 because he had a group cancel the day before I called. Just got lucky on the timing.

100% opportunity this past season, with only one guy not taking a bull home (missed twice)

Got it booked, and we shall see how it turns out!

Last edited by afishinman14; 01-13-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                After much persistence… found a guide with a great reputation on private land in Montana. That he availability for 3-4 because he had a group cancel the day before I called. Just got lucky on the timing.

100% opportunity this past season, with only one guy not taking a bull home (missed twice)

Got it booked, and we shall see how it turns out!

What part of Montana are you hunting in? And good luck!

Comment

Somewhere near Bozeman. Don’t have exact location of the lodge yet.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                    Good to know. I’m trying my best to get my dad on a bull ASAP. He’s getting older. Can’t really handle 3-4 years of DIY to learn the terrain and get him a bull. Willing to spend some money to get her done year 1.

Just not $15k a man…

Man its almost like if the little guy cant go elk hunting when he is able with available tags not having to plan 6-8 years in the future...Welcome to the world of point creep and unobtainable tags. Folks that have never done this dont know what its like. Happened fast to.

I think MT general tag has 30-40% draw rate with 0 points. That would be my first attempt. Second would be to try and draw a CO first rifle tag in an otc unit.

Lastly since any bull hunt that meets your criteria will likely result in a raghorn if succesful, have you considered a cow hunt? Cows are delicious, and displaying a 3x4 rack looks awful anyway.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                      Man its almost like if the little guy cant go elk hunting when he is able with available tags not having to plan 6-8 years in the future...Welcome to the world of point creep and unobtainable tags. Folks that have never done this dont know what its like. Happened fast to.

I think MT general tag has 30-40% draw rate with 0 points. That would be my first attempt. Second would be to try and draw a CO first rifle tag in an otc unit.

Lastly since any bull hunt that meets your criteria will likely result in a raghorn if succesful, have you considered a cow hunt? Cows are delicious, and displaying a 3x4 rack looks awful anyway.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Lol, been quite a few years I’d have proudly displayed a 3x4. First you want tag price increases and now telling ppl what looks good or not on their hunt. Gtfo

Comment

Congrats. Post what area you’ll be hunting, I live 90 min from Bozeman (was there today shopping). Wherever you are in the Bzn area, there’s a chance you’ll bump into a Griz. Especially south in the Gallatin or Madison mountains towards Yellowstone. Have bear spray and a big handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          Congrats. Post what area you’ll be hunting, I live 90 min from Bozeman (was there today shopping). Wherever you are in the Bzn area, there’s a chance you’ll bump into a Griz. Especially south in the Gallatin or Madison mountains towards Yellowstone. Have bear spray and a big handgun.

Not to derail the thread, but what town do you live nearest? I'm just curious as I'm still relatively new to the state. I'm over near Hamilton.

Comment

South of you in Madison County.

Comment

A 3x4 would look just fine on the wall.
                              Good luck with your hunt !
                              I would be sending a pm to Bill and picking his brain on the area and what to expect.
                              Hope you all have a fun hunt and I'll be watching for the pics next fall.

Comment

We won’t be after 3x4’s

They had 100% opportunity on 250” and better bulls. All 5x5 or better

Montana has increased odds now if you enter the draw through an outfitter.

Last year they gave all outfitters tags for all hunters who didn’t draw. And this next year they’ll be giving everyone an extra point if you enter through an outfitter

The tag is good for a cow too, if we are unsuccessful on a bull. But again, I like my odds based on this outfitters past success rates. And again.. it’s over 40k acres of private land.

Comment

Working...
                                X