Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me elk hunt outfitter/state recommendations !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying reading the good info on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
      I shot a bull the first day evening hunt. We did not recover the bull. I was pretty much devastated. The guide offered me to shoot a cow which was very generous. I told him I didn't want it to interfere with my hunting partners hunt. The next evening I ended up killing a cow and my buddy killed a bull within 100 yards of each other. 6 hunters in camp. My buddy killed a bull, I did not recover my bull, but killed a cow. A girl in camp hit a 6x6 but did not recover. All six of us had shot opportunities. It's all spectacular place to hunt. Look thru their Facebook page. I killed my cow at this lake called Langhoff pond. The second pic is the view from camp. The sloping mountain is Bear Mountain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      I looked at em and why I asked. Is it private land? They kill a LOT of elk. Nothing huge but lots of respectable bulls. The comment below yours scares me.

OP stay away from C Bar Z outfitters out of Trinidad. Unit 85. Not worth it.

Colorado OTC units get hammered. I feel your pain. I’m searching hard for a great high success outfitter that’s reasonably priced. I’m not sure one exists at this point lol

Comment

Kenny Burton , Burton Hunting Service stay in Texas hunt West Texas free range elk, google it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          I looked at em and why I asked. Is it private land? They kill a LOT of elk. Nothing huge but lots of respectable bulls. The comment below yours scares me.

OP stay away from C Bar Z outfitters out of Trinidad. Unit 85. Not worth it.

Colorado OTC units get hammered. I feel your pain. I’m searching hard for a great high success outfitter that’s reasonably priced. I’m not sure one exists at this point lol
          Bear Mountain is 10,000 acres private. They do four 5 day archery hunts with 6 hunters on each hunt on Bear Mountain Ranch. 24 hunters total for the archery season. One guide for 2 hunters. They only have 3 cabins that accommodate two people each at the Bear Mountain Camp. I guess if they are hunting 10-12 the others guys are sleeping in their trucks....smdh.[emoji1745]

In the picture below you will see 3 sleeping cabins (2 people each). One shower house, one outhouse, and the kitchen/dining area. The guides and cook sleep in the loft above the kitchen.

The owners did aquire the adjoining Double X Ranch this past summer. The Double X is an additional 10,000+ acres. If they are booking additional hunts that is where the additional hunters are hunting.

There is an incredible migration of elk each spring into Bear Mountain that come out of the Kremmeling valley and Steamboat Springs Valley.

I would say the quality of elk killed has done nothing but go up over the last few years.

Rather than take my word.....I have hunted there.....or someone else's word that has not hunted there call Brad Probst (ranch manager) or Kelly Baum Probst (Brad's wife). Either one of them will get you all the info you need.

970-485-9246

Also look at Brad's Facebook page for more pictures and videos from this past season. You can PM me for more info.

Comment

Bear Mountain is 10,000 acres private. They do four 5 day archery hunts with 6 hunters on each hunt on Bear Mountain Ranch. 24 hunters total for the archery season. One guide for 2 hunters. They only have 3 cabins that accommodate two people each at the Bear Mountain Camp. I guess if they are hunting 10-12 the others guys are sleeping in their trucks....smdh.[emoji1745]

In the picture below you will see 3 sleeping cabins (2 people each). One shower house, one outhouse, and the kitchen/dining area. The guides and cook sleep in the loft above the kitchen.

The owners did aquire the adjoining Double X Ranch this past summer. The Double X is an additional 10,000+ acres. If they are booking additional hunts that is where the additional hunters are hunting.

There is an incredible migration of elk each spring into Bear Mountain that come out of the Kremmeling valley and Steamboat Springs Valley.

I would say the quality of elk killed has done nothing but go up over the last few years.

Rather than take my word.....I have hunted there.....or someone else's word that has not hunted there call Brad Probst (ranch manager) or Kelly Baum Probst (Brad's wife). Either one of them will get you all the info you need.

970-485-9246

Also look at Brad's Facebook page for more pictures and videos from this past season. You can PM me for more info.

I’ll call em after the new year. May reach out to you too. Beautiful country. Merry Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              I’ll call em after the new year. May reach out to you too. Beautiful country. Merry Christmas!
              Brad and I are friends. Tell him Mike Smith from Texas now Iowa.

Merry Christmas to you and your family !!!

Comment

I talked to Brad last week. They do have more hunters than 6 but he said 18,000 acres which explains why he can handle more.

$7k for the elk trip. All inclusive. Said they have a “million dollar lodge” for guests. So maybe that came with the new acreage?

I’m in line if any spots open up. He offers the last year’s hunters first choice. If some don’t come back, then he opens it up to newcomers.

He said he hunts the ranch strategically so as to not push the elk herds. And all seasons are highly successful because of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  Go diy for $1200..VERY few places in Colorado that you cant hike into.. This means it doesnt matter your on horses.. Your gonna have people on top of you.. Those drop camp outfitters hunt the same areas every year no matter the pressure and In my opinion it just isnt worth it..

New Mexico I wouldnt hesitate to hunt public with a outfitter on a LO tag or even through the draw..
                  Spot on.
                  I've seen em pack people a 1/2 mile down a public trail, and have the tents set up 20ft off of it.
                  People coming and going all day outside your camp.
                  Unbelievable really, but their target audience doesn't know any better for the most part.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

970-485-9246

Mike,
                      Your information is outdated. They use the camp and the lodge now, so yes they do have 10-12 hunters at a time now(my last trip there were 11 hunters in camp). They acquired the ranch next door as well (to try and accommodate more hunters), but it is mostly wide open and the elk hunting on it hasn't been productive. They have a lot of elk, but the quality has really slipped. If you want to see a lot of elk, you most likely will, but you will likely not see trophy caliber elk.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                        I talked to Brad last week. They do have more hunters than 6 but he said 18,000 acres which explains why he can handle more.

$7k for the elk trip. All inclusive. Said they have a “million dollar lodge” for guests. So maybe that came with the new acreage?

I’m in line if any spots open up. He offers the last year’s hunters first choice. If some don’t come back, then he opens it up to newcomers.

He said he hunts the ranch strategically so as to not push the elk herds. And all seasons are highly successful because of this.

He only acquired a portion of the neighboring ranch, around 6-8k (mostly open country), not 10k+. The lodge is on the original piece of property, but they have acquired its use since Mike has been to the ranch. There are a lot of elk there, but the ranch is hunted hard. They now take 40+ archery hunters over the course of 4 weeks, and then they also heavily rifle hunt the place. They do try and hunt the ranch strategically, but when the numbers of hunters increased, the pressure was evident immediately. Also, when the previous owners ran the ranch, it had very light grazing from a small herd of buffalo. Since the sell of the ranch, it is a full blown cattle ranch and this too has had an impact of the hunting. They're success rate with rifle is pretty good as it should be. If you're gonna rifle hunt, I'd say you'd have a good chance of success at a legal bull. Just trying to give you guys as much current information as possible.

Comment

Colorado on an otc hunt with an outfitter on public land would not be my idea of a good time at all. You can set 5k on fire and not be near as frustrated as you will be hunting otc most years. Now, a LE tag in Colorado I may pony up for an outfitter, but you’re setting yourself up for failure in my opinion looking at an outfitted otc hunt on public. Find a ranch hunt if Colorado is a must. Not having points, and looking to go next year are both working against you.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                            Colorado on an otc hunt with an outfitter on public land would not be my idea of a good time at all. You can set 5k on fire and not be near as frustrated as you will be hunting otc most years. Now, a LE tag in Colorado I may pony up for an outfitter, but you’re setting yourself up for failure in my opinion looking at an outfitted otc hunt on public. Find a ranch hunt if Colorado is a must. Not having points, and looking to go next year are both working against you.
                            Come in Jake.. He has 5K and wants a bull for multiple guys ha ..

Not trying to be a **** at all but I would take that 4 guy number and at min cut it in half.. Hard to kill one elk much less 4

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              Come in Jake.. He has 5K and wants a bull for multiple guys ha ..

Not trying to be a **** at all but I would take that 4 guy number and at min cut it in half.. Hard to kill one elk much less 4

I want one bull for 4 years in a row. And I’d gladly be willing to cut that in half.

5k won’t buy you what it used to in outfitted elk hunting unfortunately. I’d spend that on a good landowner tag in a few units I can think of in NM and enjoy myself and my friends company. A couple of wall tents, 8 days, and some hard work just might be the trip of a lifetime. Otc Colorado is just about as far from a good experience as I’ve ever had elk hunting.

Comment

I don’t think most people understand how difficult it is to kill one decent bull in a week much less several bulls especially in OTC units. We hunted private land this season with a lot of mature bulls and it was still extremely difficult. I enjoy the challenge of public land but you have to go into it for the experience and have very low expectations.

Comment

Working...
                                X