Anybody play Diplomacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody play Diplomacy?

Anyone heard of it played Diplomacy before? I stumbled across it about a month ago and decided to give it a try. It’s a strategy game where the pieces and movements are very very basic, but the interaction between players is extremely delicate, open ended, and complex. Because the game is so intense it is apparently more popular as a mail-in/email game than one where people get together to play. It took about two weeks for the remaining number of needed players to sign up, and we just kicked it off last week. I’m already neck deep in lies and alliances, and we haven’t even submitted orders for our first moves. We negotiate through the week via email then submit military orders at week’s end. The game master resolves all battles and announces results over the weekend. The process continues weekly until one nation is left standing. In my group we have 4 from the US, 1 South Korea, 1 from Canada, and 1 from Azerbaijan. Pretty cool.

The game takes place in pre-WWI Europe where 7 nations all compete for absolute domination of the area. There are only armies and fleets, and all are equal strength. Territories can only be captured, and defended, with the support of allies...and misdirecting enemies to focus elsewhere. Alliances are necessary but can be betrayed any moment and are of course completely unannounced.

I’m Turkey and have a supposed demilitarization agreement with Russia. However, one of the most common acts of treachery is for Russia to team with Austria and wipe Turkey off the map early. So, my problem is to decide whether to honor the agreement and push north to engage Austria or betray Russia in the first turn and hope that England and Austria turn on Russia in a greedy attempt to overpower it.

If you want to give it a try, the website is http://diplomaticcorp.com/

Once a game gets 7 players a volunteer game master will start the game and keep up with orders and results. I think it would be awesome if we could get a TBH game going, but it might be tricky to get enough interested.
    Attached Files

Interesting... I'd join a TBH one if enough want to

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

I'd join a TBH game but imagine its be hard to get it organized.

Comment

I'd join a TBH game

Comment

I would be in

Comment

Are there nukes available?

Comment

Hunters make the best liars.

Comment

Originally posted by hero_moneybags View Post
                  Hunters make the best liars.
                  Can you imagine public land duck hunters playing this?? Cut-throat and treacherous!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Can you imagine public land duck hunters playing this?? Cut-throat and treacherous!

And if putting a feeder on the fenceline is a problem just wait until your “ally” moves a fleet next to your border!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

We’re at 5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Play diplomacy ? Hell, I'll say I have, been married for 37 years .......

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek3189 View Post
                          play diplomacy ? Hell, i'll say i have, been married for 37 years .......
                          lmao

Comment

We gonna do this?

Comment

This game sounds interesting. How time consuming is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X