X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post

This picture needs a frame around it.

Comment

It funny most say you need a “stick burner”. Some of the best brisket in Texas comes from assisted smokers. They are hidden out of site at a few places but they are being used.

Comment

Cooked on my uds, Kosher salt and restaurant grind black pepper. Using smarts cooking instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine always have a great bark on them. I don’t have any pics handy to upload ...I’ll find some later and post em but...

I season with H‑E‑B Steak Blend which is sea salt, black pepper, garlic and paprika

Smoke for 6 hours with Post Oak at about 235

Pull it off and double wrap with pink butcher paper, put it back on until the internal temp where the flat meets the point is 195-198

Keep it wrapped and into the ice chest to rest until the temp reaches 200-203

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
            It funny most say you need a “stick burner”. Some of the best brisket in Texas comes from assisted smokers. They are hidden out of site at a few places but they are being used.

Why is that funny? It's the truth for the most part. There is no secret that the best bark comes from natural wood burning pits or "ceramics"....and in somebody's backyard that's going to be the easiest and most common route to that end game.. There are always outliers in everything we do. Somebody can always come up with one.

Comment

Both of theses briskets I wrapped in foil at about 160 degrees. Finished cooking till tender(around 205 degrees). Rested in a cooler 5-6 hours and then sliced. Seasoning was salt , black pepper and garlic on both as well Top brisket was a stick burner(mesquite and oak) and bottom was a pellet smoker(Rectec). I think the bark on a brisket is way over rated. As long as it has a good smoke flavor and it taste good and tender, I don`t care.

I have eaten brisket a competition cook offs before that had that great looking bark and smoke ring, but the smoke flavor was so strong I wouldn`t eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                How are you guys getting the black “ crust” on your briskets ? Mine get close but not as black or “ thick” as some I see pictures of on here. Is it the coating or sauté your putting on them, if so would you mind telling me what you use, season them with. My son was down there and ate a place, and he said the brisket they served was the best food period he has ever eaten. I would like to try and better my out come.
                Oak wood also helps.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                  Both of theses briskets I wrapped in foil at about 160 degrees. Finished cooking till tender(around 205 degrees). Rested in a cooler 5-6 hours and then sliced. Seasoning was salt , black pepper and garlic on both as well Top brisket was a stick burner(mesquite and oak) and bottom was a pellet smoker(Rectec). I think the bark on a brisket is way over rated. As long as it has a good smoke flavor and it taste good and tender, I don`t care.

I have eaten brisket a competition cook offs before that had that great looking bark and smoke ring, but the smoke flavor was so strong I wouldn`t eat it.

Pellet smoker is winning the visual category...which one tasted better?

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                    Pellet smoker is winning the visual category...which one tasted better?

They were both very good. I like the ease of the pellet smoker, but I don`t thing you can beat the flavor from real wood as long as the smoke flavor isn`t overpowering. I actually prefer the challenge of cooking on a stick burner. Maintaining a fire at 4 in the morning , trying to keep the temp low and slow and just the right smoke is something of an art.

Comment

As mentioned before, S&P is all you need and if you wrap it do it in butcher paper.

Comment

4 hours is as much smoke as you need. After that just keep the temp right for the duration.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          4 hours is as much smoke as you need. After that just keep the temp right for the duration.
                          4 hours regardless of size? Legitimately asking the question because I am not expert.

Comment

My recteq pellet smoker puts plenty of bark for me. And I can spend more time sleeping or putting lime in my beer. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                              4 hours regardless of size? Legitimately asking the question because I am not expert.
                              Pretty much. Meat will only absorb so much smoke. I personally like about 3 hours of smoke. And no mesquite smoke. Too acidy/bitter
                              Last edited by Walker; 05-09-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Brisket question

Originally posted by Walker View Post

Respectfully disagree. If you want to do the absolute minimum then sure... but to get a true Texas layered bark set then no.
                                Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X