Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket question

How are you guys getting the black “ crust” on your briskets ? Mine get close but not as black or “ thick” as some I see pictures of on here. Is it the coating or sauté your putting on them, if so would you mind telling me what you use, season them with. My son was down there and ate a place, and he said the brisket they served was the best food period he has ever eaten. I would like to try and better my out come.

I have wondered the same, I’ve only done two but neither had that crust!

Comment

All I do is season them with salt and pepper and let the stick burning smoker do the rest. I cooked one today and it came out with a GOOD bark and everyone complmented me on how it tasted although I know it wasn't my best work.

However the sides were AWESOME. Smoked Mac and Cheese and Baked Beans both done on the smoker.

Andrew
      Attached Files
      Last edited by zr2chevy22; 05-08-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Smoke and time. Four ingredients salt, lots of black pepper, smoke and time.

Comment

No foil!

Comment

The biggest reason why people don't get a good bark is wrapping in foil or paper for too long or at the wrong time.

Comment

Originally posted by bignick612 View Post
              The biggest reason why people don't get a good bark is wrapping in foil or paper for too long or at the wrong time.
              No wrap here. I have never wrapped any meat that I put on a smoker unless it's in BACON!!! LOL

Comment

For the first 3 hours do not open the lid and touch the brisket at all. After that do what you want but stil be careful about wrapping for to long of a time.

Comment

14 hrs on the pit... low and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                    All I do is season them with salt and pepper and let the stick burning smoker do the rest. I cooked one today and it came out with a GOOD bark and everyone complmented me on how it tasted although I know it wasn't my best work.

However the sides were AWESOME. Smoked Mac and Cheese and Baked Beans both done on the smoker.

Andrew
                    This looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Andrew
                      It’s dry.

OP, you gotta run a stick burner to get that “crust” you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                        It’s dry.

OP, you gotta run a stick burner to get that “crust” you are looking for.
                        You mean you can't get that with the outdoor oven? Aka pellet smoker lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Stick burner is the best way. Wrap in butcher paper not foil. But you can achieve the appearance of a good bark with Hardcore Carnivore seasoning if using a traeger both these pics are off a traeger

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Brisket question

Bark...or crust as you labeled it, is a combination of the rub, the meat’s juices rendering and layers and layers of smoke forming on the surface in the process. You have to have a good blue smoke fire (stick burner preferred), a good trim, a good heavy rub or salt/pepper combination and time to get a solid bark. Bark layers much better on meat than fat and is a reason folks trim. These big fat caps on briskets and pork butts folks neglect to trim are not going to produce a good bark. And since bark is also where most of the flavor is, their product is going to suffer. The better the bark the better the brisket/PB/ribs. One more thing. Grates are hell on bark so I always do the 1/4” trimmed fat cap down. The bark forms so much better when it can layer directly on the top of the actual meat and the thin fat cap can render down and not mess up the layered smoke. When you cut it you also have a cleaner slice after removing the flat from the point.

And I wrap every time. The bark is made before wrapping. Now I don’t wrap until 160-170 internal (never by time). It depends on how the bark is formed at those temps that determines where at 160-170 I wrap. It just takes time and the things I mentioned above. Main reason I wrap though after the bark is set is to push through the stall. Ain’t nobody got time for a 2-3 hour hiccup. You can open the foil pan at the end and tighten it up.

Last edited by Smart; 05-09-2021, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Andrew
                              This Is Perfect

Comment

Working...
                              X