No announcement yet.

Expensive camo vs inexpensive camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitka was a game changer for me but not because of the camo pattern. Warmth to bulk is fantastic and it makes hunting sub freezing temps possible for me.
    Early elk season I'd follow the advice on boots and glass.
    Maybe some decent rain gear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wrangler rugged has a ripstop...colors are perfect for hunting anywear.

Comment

Everyone hunts different. I am not that dependent on glass in September especially in the 2nd half of the month. I do carry a quality 8x pair of binos though. I do not necessarily wear camo but I do avoid solid black and solid white. I am more concerned with material weight, composition and how it fits my layering strategy than color. The black ovis merino is usually a good deal. I am as likely to wear UB Star bottoms as prana Zions (I have both). Gaiters are underrated.

Comment

I live and hunt in Montana. For the locals, most wear Kennetrek boots. Bozeman company. My son has several pairs, my wife has a leg length discrepancy from scoliosis and only wears Kennetreks with an orthotic lift. I’m still waiting for my Danners to wear out.

I ‘invested’ in Kuiu clothes, pack and 0 degree bag before we retired. Incredible gear, I have layers starting with merino wool long johns and shirt, mid layer clothes, and rain jacket and pants. Gaiters are important in wet grass and snow.

The thing is weather changes so fast in the mountains and higher elevations. It’s 20 when you get up, then up to 50 and the wind starts and it gets cold. Then afternoon rain, then sun. The key is to stay warm and not sweat- the skin moisture in clothes causes you to be cold and risk hypothermia.

Sitka Gear is also in Bozeman. Good gear, more expensive than Kuiu.

I like my Kuiu Icon Pro 3500 pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Expensive camo vs inexpensive camo

Where the expensive stuff makes a difference is breathability. You can sit still in 30 degree weather and feel great, then also get up and hike a mile and not sweat. That is where I have noticed a huge difference between camo I grew up hunting in, and the Sitka clothing I have now.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Sitka was a game changer for me but not because of the camo pattern. Warmth to bulk is fantastic and it makes hunting sub freezing temps possible for me.
              Early elk season I'd follow the advice on boots and glass.
              Maybe some decent rain gear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This^ boots and glass are easily the most important.

But the new technologies in Firstlite, sitka etc. provide great warmth at a fraction of the weight and bulk. Also rain gear from one of the above is a game changer compared to stuff you find at academy or something like that. If you can afford nicer gear it lasts but the traditional gear will get it done also.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                Where the expensive stuff makes a difference is breathability. You can sit still in 30 degree weather and feel great, then also get up and hike a mile and not sweat. That is where I have noticed a huge difference between camo I grew up hunting in, and the Sitka clothing I have now.

Additionally What I find is The big difference maker is the weight and packability. You can say what you want about expensive gear but there is a clear difference in the product
                Can you manage in cheap gear? Of course and I did it for years but my hunting experience is much much better now that I can afford and buy better functioning gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
                  Cabelas (I think) had some stuff that looked like the Kuiu stuff last year. Really good price.

My grandpa got it done 3 times wearing some just old West Texas camo. Layers and as others have said footwear are probably more important than paying top price for some camo.
                  Good point, there were a Ton of animals killed before $300 sitka jackets!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    I live and hunt in Montana. For the locals, most wear Kennetrek boots. Bozeman company. My son has several pairs, my wife has a leg length discrepancy from scoliosis and only wears Kennetreks with an orthotic lift. I’m still waiting for my Danners to wear out.

I ‘invested’ in Kuiu clothes, pack and 0 degree bag before we retired. Incredible gear, I have layers starting with merino wool long johns and shirt, mid layer clothes, and rain jacket and pants. Gaiters are important in wet grass and snow.

The thing is weather changes so fast in the mountains and higher elevations. It’s 20 when you get up, then up to 50 and the wind starts and it gets cold. Then afternoon rain, then sun. The key is to stay warm and not sweat- the skin moisture in clothes causes you to be cold and risk hypothermia.

Sitka Gear is also in Bozeman. Good gear, more expensive than Kuiu.

I like my Kuiu Icon Pro 3500 pack.

I also run Kenetrek MTN Extremes. Great boots and good company to deal with. Pricey though.

Yup, the pricey Sitkas, KUIU, First Lites are "not worth it"... until they are. A little inclement weather and you'll be wishing you hadn't worn your cotton wranglers to the mountains as a statement against performance gear. I personally use First Lite, but all are well built and great materials.

Comment

I didnt believe the hype of it, then I bought some 'gucchi' clothing.

Its worth it

Comment

I wear solid colors while elk hunting just nothing cotton. I wear $20 Wrangler Outdoor pants from Walmart and some type of poly tee shirt. Get some good Marino Wool base layers and if you want to wear some type for camo fleece you'll be set.

Comment

Just think and ask yourself on clothing:

Do you wanna look like you know what your doing and have money? If not buy cheaper as the animals don't care.

Do not skimp on footwear

Comment

I have a pair of kuiu pants and the one thing I love about them is the ability to pick legs up and climb without heavier material holding you back. The stretch and breathe and you feel like you can hit a squat rack at the gym in them, unlike jean material. They do get hung up in sticky brush and I’ve pulled fabric out on thorns though.

Comment

It sort of depends on the hunt you are doing. Are you backpacking in and not seeing the truck for 8 days, or are you staying in a lodge?

Poly layers will stink after a day or less hiking in early September. Conversely, I’ve worn the same merino shirt for 8 days straight without a noticeable odor.

Checkout the following for budget friendly gear.
                              - Black Ovis merino layers
                              - Wrangler outdoor pants

Buy good boots that fit well and are thoroughly broken in by the time you get to the mountains. Merino socks are a must. I don’t prefer sock liners, but some people do.

Comment

I"d recommend Badlands camo, they run sales often. Its just as good as Sitka and Kuiu in my opinion.

Darn Tough - merino socks (light or med weight for Sept.

Smart Wool or Merino brands underwear - If you have $2000 worth of camo on, but have cotton draws you just wasted your $$.

If you plan on back packing in I'd spend my money on boots, and a pack before camo.

Comment

Working...
                                X