No announcement yet.

What's a good mountain bike to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For $500 buy used. You will get better components for that price range.
    It's similar to asking for a cheap hooker. You get what you pay for.

Comment

If you’re in the dfw area join this group on Facebook “pb&j [pedals bikes & junk]“. You can find a good deal for around $500. I agree don’t by new you won’t get very much of a bike for $500. Get a 29er and a air front fork.

Comment

Originally posted by jkk831 View Post
        I’ve been looking too. I was told the trek marlin was a good one for that price range.
        Besides Trek, check out Giant - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes

And like others have said, find a bike shop, give them your budget, and try a few out.

My wife has a Trek, but when I went to get one I didn't care for the models Trek had at the time, but I did find the Giant. Rides great.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
          I'm in Kingwood. There's a bike shop here I plan on going to once I get back in town from work. The riding wont be "extreme", mostly trail riding at state parks and some greenbelt riding with my boys. That being said I'd like to get one which will last for a good while.

Thanks for all the info so far.
          There's a bike shop by Alspaugh Hardware, Tailwind and the guy that runs it is a good person to deal with. Also Bike Barn in Atascocita. Both places are used by a lot of the bike riders in the Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita area.

Comment

If anyone around Fort Worth has a 19”-20” bike for sale I would be interested.

Comment

If anyone needs a good 29er I have a medium size hard tail with top of the line components and carbon wheels I'd sell for $500.

Comment

Following! Really thinking about getting a bike to get into riding with my nephew.

Comment

I wouldn’t over think it. Get one the gives you plenty of room over the bar when you stand flat footed. Then go have some fun. I know people that spent a grand on bike only to find out it’s not like when you were a kid having fun. You can upgrade later if you really like it. Also a lot of bikes will never be used to their potential.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                    I'm in Kingwood. There's a bike shop here I plan on going to once I get back in town from work. The riding wont be "extreme", mostly trail riding at state parks and some greenbelt riding with my boys. That being said I'd like to get one which will last for a good while.

Thanks for all the info so far.

I’m in Kingwood. You are welcome to come ride my 2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29er to get an idea how a decent quality bike will still handle, ride, and function well if you’d like. It was $1200 new, I got it used for $450, and I have rode the crap out of it. Just like the 2003 Rockhopper I had before it, I have beaten the hell out of it, and it keeps going. It isn’t for sale, but I’d be happy to give you some info on what to consider, budget, component trade-offs, etc.

I would really recommend finding a good quality used bike. For what you plan to do, you don’t need to spend $1000+. That said, you will get way more quality for a cared-for used bike than a lower tier new bike. Heck even if I got back into mountain biking, I would get a used bike. New bike prices are crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                      There's a bike shop by Alspaugh Hardware, Tailwind and the guy that runs it is a good person to deal with. Also Bike Barn in Atascocita. Both places are used by a lot of the bike riders in the Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita area.

Have used Tailwind to repair my boys’ mountain bikes, and I bought my road bike at Bike Barn in Atascocita. Both are good shops with good folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SL1 View Post
                        I wouldn’t over think it. Get one the gives you plenty of room over the bar when you stand flat footed. Then go have some fun. I know people that spent a grand on bike only to find out it’s not like when you were a kid having fun. You can upgrade later if you really like it. Also a lot of bikes will never be used to their potential.
                        I feel the same way .. i bought one for the sole purpose of riding into a hunting spot. I will use it 2 or 3 times a year.. i went to a pawn shop and got it for 40 bucks.. now If a person is gonna ride 4 days a week I could see spending the money.

Comment

Originally posted by KRB View Post
                          Go to a bike shop and get fitted , should be able to get a good entry level bike for 500.00.

Where are you located?
                          This is advice you will not regret. Wife and I bought TREK bikes from a bike shop and they have been flawless for years. Money well spent on a quality bike will make life easier. Shifters, breaks, etc. will be much more dependable.

Comment

Just ordered the Giant ATX DISC 3 in olive color, should be on my doorstep next week. Great reviews and under 500 bucks.

Comment

Check out bikesdirect.com then do your research on the brand(s) they offer. Great bikes direct pricing. I just bought a Gravel X3 off there and absolutely love it so far. I already had a mountain bike and wanted a road bike and was directed to the site by some friends who are serious riders. You won't be out a bunch of money and can always upgrade parts.

This is a pretty good review from a novice who bought a full suspension mountain bike: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvw6a5yYFvU"]Is the Motobecane budget mountain bike legit or crap? - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                                Just ordered the Giant ATX DISC 3 in olive color, should be on my doorstep next week. Great reviews and under 500 bucks.
                                Where did you order from?

Comment

Working...
                                X