No announcement yet.

Broadhead for axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a huge advocate of a true cut on contact head...Grizzly Stick, Magnus, NAP Hellrazor, VPA, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
      Any chance that he moved, while the arrow was traveling 42 yards?
      You probably didn't hit where you were aiming. Not the broadhead's fault.

And yes, I have killed axis with Rage broadheads.
      he hit a bone, plain and simple.

I shoot almost the exact same set up and have no issues whatsoever getting passthru's on game with big expandable broadheads.

My buddy has killed several elk with rage broadheads.

Axis do have a beefier bone structure than whitetail but they are not indestructible like some people make them out to be.

Comment

Kudu point

Comment

Originally posted by Axis FMJ View Post
          Slick Trick 100g
          I've had issues with Slick Tricks at range-- catching crosswind more than other broadheads. They also whistle in flight far more than other designs in my experience far.
          I was a fan for a long time and still shoot them when I know I won't need a distance option, but particularly for range I use other heads-- G5s, Silver Flames, or Kudu Points (single bevel) fixed. I still shoot mechs occasionally and like the Rockets-- have always been good to me and simple, fold-back operation. Only in a hard quartering shot where the point has the opportunity to "pole vault" would I pass on a shot-- it's a tough shot anyway.

Comment

Sounds like you've got some good eats with the doe!

Gary

Comment

If you hit a larger bone in the front leg, it won't matter much what broadhead you're shooting, unless it's a single bevel with a 600+ grain arrow. You do increase your odds of better penetration with a cut on contact broadhead rather than a mechanical. I love The QAD Exodus. I will say blood trails are not near what they are with large Mechanical if you hit nothing but Lungs, but it will out-perform any mechanical in penetration, especially if you hit ribs or small bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                If you hit a larger bone in the front leg, it won't matter much what broadhead you're shooting, unless it's a single bevel with a 600+ grain arrow. You do increase your odds of better penetration with a cut on contact broadhead rather than a mechanical. I love The QAD Exodus. I will say blood trails are not near what they are with large Mechanical if you hit nothing but Lungs, but it will out-perform any mechanical in penetration, especially if you hit ribs or small bones.
                I second the QAD Exodus swept blade head... I have punched through both shoulders on a large Axis buck and have got great penetration on an Elk this last year. shooting a 425 grain arrow with around 16% FOC around 295 FPS.

Comment

Got a pack of Wac em’ 4 blades and in the blind waiting for one to walk out

Comment

Nice!!!! Good luck....

Comment

For economical broadheads qad exodus is hard to beat.. they come pretty sharp . It's all I use for pigs.. for Deer and Elk you can't beat Ironwill . I have one I've shot through a block target 25 times and it still shaves. I've been keeping count to see how long it hold an edge.. I shot both front legs dang near off of a buck 2 years ago with an exodus broadhead..

Comment

Working...
                      X