School security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
    Then why is this only a problem in the US?
    It’s not

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Longview Police Dept is understaffed and cannot find people to fill their open positions, and I hear the same thing at other departments.
      They way police are disrespected and criminalized in the media and inside many District attorney offices I find it hard to believe anyone would want to be a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
        Remember when this was a problem with post office employees? What did they do to turn things around?
        Wow...........going postal was a BIG thing some years ago. Good point!
        Originally posted by Hardware View Post
        Why is it that no one talks about mental health since it's the one common denominator in all mass shootings? If you were off you rocker, unstable and posed a threat to society more than likely you were placed in an institution. This has all changed in the last 40 or so years and now most of the mental institutions have closed down. Instead now we medicate these people and allow them to walk around society hoping they take the medication and stay stable. The ACLU has fought for their rights so they have a choice to not be committed or take medicine so they have psychotic episodes in a public setting. Add the societal erosion of morals in the same period and the lack of respect for others and it's a scary outlook for our future.

You'll never stop pure evil in this world!!

Best we can do is get back to God, Family, Country/Patriotism and strong moral teachings for all in society. Stop being Reactive and start being Proactive so when we see signs years before someone acts we take action.
        Your point on mental health facilities is SPOT ON. They were shut down by the federal government in the early 80's. I am talking about hundreds of facilities around the nation. Those patients were let out into the world to live on the streets, in & out of jails or prisons, and have really become a real public health issue. The mental health crisis is ONLY one part of the issue but it is definitely something that can be corrected.

Comment

I did the same remodeling that you did and saw the same things. The schools are secure for honest people only, the bad guys can get in quickly and do a lot of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Wow...........going postal was a BIG thing some years ago. Good point!

Your point on mental health facilities is SPOT ON. They were shut down by the federal government in the early 80's. I am talking about hundreds of facilities around the nation. Those patients were let out into the world to live on the streets, in & out of jails or prisons, and have really become a real public health issue. The mental health crisis is ONLY one part of the issue but it is definitely something that can be corrected.
            This and the amount of drugs being given to these kids at a very young age!

Comment

Longview Police Dept is understaffed and cannot find people to fill their open positions, and I hear the same thing at other departments.
              Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              Policing in the US is pretty much in a hiring/staffing crisis. Certainly there are some agencies that are getting sufficient recruits but I believe that the majority are not and many are struggling that man the streets.
              Maybe a good start would be to cut welfare and force people back to being productive.

Comment

Use “OUR” tax dollars to fortify doors at schools and ensure air locks at all entrances. Be buzzed in and secretary’s behind bullet proof glass to scan your DL etx. Even our small local school district has folks carrying onsite. Deterrents work for most. But as others have stated 40 years ago guns were not an issue. 98% of kids knew right from wrong. The 2% knew it but we’re just hellions. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If the school had a policy to keep doors locked, then, sadly, the teachers of that classroom got lax, as I am sure happens every day, then it was on them. If the outside door was supposed to be locked, then someone (superintendent, principal, maintenance personnel, whomever), is puckered up waiting for the investigation to be completed…assuming there was a good security policy in place. I can understand how most people could get lax thinking that it wouldn’t happen at their school.

Keeping the doors locked is an issue at my wife’s school. Her classroom is in a hallway that leads to the back parking lot and she finds the door unlocked daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                    Keeping the doors locked is an issue at my wife’s school. Her classroom is in a hallway that leads to the back parking lot and she finds the door unlocked daily.
                    Does this exterior door have a vision panel?
                    Does her classroom door have a vision panel?
                    If yes then anybody can get in it just might take a couple of seconds longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      Dang, you guys go off point immediately. I said secure the schools like the capital
                      But wasn’t there a major insurrection at the capital where the Republicans nearly ended America as we know it?

And it seems many schools now with overcrowding have added “permanent temporary” buildings that are nothing more than job site trailers. It’s impossible to secure one of these. Maybe if these were replaced with Conex type buildings it’d be different for them. At least they can have welded locks.

I hate to think any school district should need to keep a paramilitary style force on hand. It’d take maybe 10 minutes for it to be infected with the same lame rules and recruiting that are in effect now. When I see 250 to 300 pound 5 1/2 foot tall women (or man) in uniform giving out speeding tickets, I shake my head that they could someday be the officer we may rely on to run into an active shooter situation.
                      Last edited by Wampuscat; 05-29-2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                        Does this exterior door have a vision panel?
                        Does her classroom door have a vision panel?
                        If yes then anybody can get in it just might take a couple of seconds longer.

Very true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mwk128 View Post
                          I’m not opposed to that but how do you pay for it? It seems like people always get riled up when someone suggests increasing their taxes. Not to mention finding enough qualified police to fill those roles. There are something like 800,000 police officers in America right now. Around 130,000 individual schools. If you say 4 or 5 officers assigned to each school building you are looking at almost doubling the number of police officers in the country. And if news reports are accurate it seems to me like a fair number of the ones we have right now can’t be trusted to defend the schools.
                          They just sent 40 billion to Ukraine

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                            Yeah it would take some monitoring system to alert a door is not locked. However, you still have to have someone respond to determine why. Staff are busy with kids so it would require security to check things out. No easy solution but certainly could find ways to improve measures & training and equipping. Will take funds

Comment

Each classroom in the schools needs to be locked and be made out of thick steel, also bulletproof glass on all classrooms.

Comment

Question is how many shootings or how frequent do they need to happen in order to make our kids feel like prisoners? How many die in car wrecks on the way to school compared to mass shootings? Should we spend billions on cars to get them there safer?

People hate to talk about it but there is a price on life. For every "x" dollars taken out of society "x" people die. I can all but guarantee spending enough to arm each school with a trained guard or two (would be 250,000 guards) will suck out far more money and more people will die in round about ways. 12,500,000,000 per year would just be the manpower of actual guards at 50k per year/2 per school. We all know that number would be 3-10x that after adding in admin, government bs. So 50 to 100 billion per year to maybe save 15-20 people.

Comment

Working...
                                X