Reef Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    I have always thought saltwater fish tanks were cool, some of them very cool. But those are one of the many things I just don't have the time for.
    You’ve really just got to understand how they work. It’s an ecosystem in a glass box. Have to add livestock with a purpose to make the ecosystem work which in turn creates less work on you. You can go full automation these days and not have to mess with it much. But that’s more $$$

Comment

A little update. Still waiting on Nitrites to convert which must’ve been sky high. They’ve maxed out my API test kit for the last 4 days in a row. I’m expecting to see some changes this week.

However…the longer I’ve sat here and looked at it and fish and coral researching, I decided to go a little bigger. Lol I have a 32g Fuji Cube AIO that should arrive tomorrow. Need to pick up some plywood for an ADA style stand build. I figured I’d just go ahead and upgrade now while it’s cycling rather than waiting another month or two. This new tank footprint is really as big as I can go for the living room due to all the French doors, so I have accepted it as my big tank, can’t upgrade anymore.

That being said, I have a 16g cube and stand for sale lol

Comment

Any of you guys have freshwater experience you care to share. Not sure I want to pony up the money for saltwater but would like an aquarium sooner than later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
          awesome stuff! my dad had a 125 gal tank for while and it was a blast. eventually gave it up. still have the tank, stand, and some misc equip for sale if someone wants a great deal.
          How much for the tank? Moving into a new house in July. Wanting one this size

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            Any of you guys have freshwater experience you care to share. Not sure I want to pony up the money for saltwater but would like an aquarium sooner than later

You can really budget saltwater pretty well. And honestly, if you don’t want to do coral and just do fish, it’s even cheaper. No special lights or trace elements needed. You can get by with a lot less with fish only. And then when the time comes you want coral, you already have most everything you need.

Ideally how big of a tank are you thinking?

Comment

Got the stand built for the new tank. Swapping everything over tomorrow.

Comment

Needed a little TLC but was a great deal. Looks great after you got it all cleaned up. I have been out of salt water for a while now but still have several freshwater tanks. I am currently working on rebuilding my stock of shell dwellers for breeding projects. Lost 6 different species entirely in the 2021 February ice storm. Otherwise, I still have tanks for African cichlids, Discus, a community tank, and some shrimp tanks. Only back to 2 species of shell dwellers right now and waiting for the to be at breeding age.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                  Needed a little TLC but was a great deal. Looks great after you got it all cleaned up. I have been out of salt water for a while now but still have several freshwater tanks. I am currently working on rebuilding my stock of shell dwellers for breeding projects. Lost 6 different species entirely in the 2021 February ice storm. Otherwise, I still have tanks for African cichlids, Discus, a community tank, and some shrimp tanks. Only back to 2 species of shell dwellers right now and waiting for the to be at breeding age.

That’s some sweet rock work on the back of that first tank.

I got everything set up yesterday. Light will be here Wednesday along with a Netgear WiFi extender so I can access my 2.4ghz band for my reef controllers. Hopefully has some livestock by the weekend.

Comment

Forgot all about this thread lol. It’s been a slow process adding a little coral here and there over the course of 8 months, but it’s really taken hold.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                      Forgot all about this thread lol. It’s been a slow process adding a little coral here and there over the course of 8 months, but it’s really taken hold.

That looks awesome!!! I had a 165 reef and a 135 salt aquarium, and a 75 gallon Cichlid tank, but life got in the way. I love seeing the pics and what you're doing!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post

African cichlids are awesome. You can almost get the color of saltwater for a poor man's price. Find the most rare and then try and breed them, or just find some cool colors you like and buy them online.

Comment

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
                          That looks awesome!!! I had a 165 reef and a 135 salt aquarium, and a 75 gallon Cichlid tank, but life got in the way. I love seeing the pics and what you're doing!
                          I have a feeling by the time this is a year old in June, I’m going to have to upgrade tanks again. I found room for a 36” long tank so looking at some 50-60 gallon sumped options. That’s definitely as big as I’ll be able to go though.

Comment

Wow your tank has come a long ways. Great work!

Comment

. This new tank footprint is really as big as I can go for the living room due to all the French doors, so I have accepted it as my big tank, can’t upgrade anymore.
                              I have a feeling by the time this is a year old in June, I’m going to have to upgrade tanks again. I found room for a 36” long tank so looking at some 50-60 gallon sumped options. That’s definitely as big as I’ll be able to go though.

See a pattern?

Comment

Tank looks beautiful

Comment

Working...
                                X