Semi-live PCT thru hike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
    Enjoy your time in Kernville. It's a neat little town. I go up there fairly often for trout fishing. While your there, go to McNally's and grab a burger! They are great.
    Will do! Bummed… my fly rod is in route to Kennedy Meadows… so no fly fishing yet. Another hiker told me there is a fly shop, so I will get my license taken care of there. I plan to carry the fly rod the rest of the hike after Kennedy Meadows.

Comment

Thanks for taking us along on this journey! I really enjoy your post on the trip. Stay safe and enjoy the next couple days relaxing!

I agree on a Texas Trail. I’m assuming there’s more private land that is not accessible to the public.

Comment

Really awesome trip and even better to do it with your best friend. Stay safe on the trail and enjoy the R&R.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
          Will do! Bummed… my fly rod is in route to Kennedy Meadows… so no fly fishing yet. Another hiker told me there is a fly shop, so I will get my license taken care of there. I plan to carry the fly rod the rest of the hike after Kennedy Meadows.
          Kern River Fly Shop. Very nice place right by the river in town. They will get you all set up. Great call on the rod. There are some really big browns where you'll be hiking through.

Comment

Thanks for bringing us along. Just followed you on IG as well.

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
            Thanks for following along! We jumped off trail to take break. We are going to a town called Kernville. We will chill there for Fri snd sat and then get a ride to Walker Pass Sunday to do the last 50 miles to Kennedy Meadows and the beginning of the big pay-off… the Sierras. This side trip will cut a few miles off the desert for us, but we see okay with missing a few Joshua Trees.

Here is a thought that rattles through my head as I hike…. There is the AT and there is the PCT and CDT. Those are the big 3. Below that there are the Colorado Trail, Vermont Long Trail, Florida Trail and Jon Muir Trail. Why is there NOT a Texas Trail??? Crazy conversations are held as one hikes… hikers from all over the country and world all agree…. A Texas Trail would be awesome (based on how the scenery would change and the potential for a good long journey). My fantasy Texas Trail starts in north/east Tx (Caddo Lake) and ends at the top of Quadalupe Peak or Big Bend. This great state needs something like this.
            I agree. I would love to see something like this in Texas. Probably a 700'ish mile trek. I always thought a Brownsville to Texline trek would be cool, too.

Have fun and safe travels!

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
              Kern River Fly Shop. Very nice place right by the river in town. They will get you all set up. Great call on the rod. There are some really big browns where you'll be hiking through.
              Excited. My set up is light … #2 rod. The entire setup …. Rod, reel and flies weighs in at less than 10 ounces. Some other hikers are packing Tenkara rods. If we get into a big brown… that might be trouble!!

Comment

Coolest thread!!! Looking forward to your updates!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
                  Thanks for taking us along on this journey! I really enjoy your post on the trip. Stay safe and enjoy the next couple days relaxing!

I agree on a Texas Trail. I’m assuming there’s more private land that is not accessible to the public.
                  The public/private land challenge would be a real challenge, but…. It’s doable. Most of the PCT runs through state and fed lands, but we have hiked through private as well (I am not sure what arrangements are made). I will say this… Texas has kick-as state parks… and if they could be linked, that’s how something like this could be plausible, but certainly, there are many obstacles. Makes good hiking thought.

Comment

Neat experience. No regret living.

Comment

Keep it coming brotha! Typing a post must be one of the last things you want to do after hiking all day but we sure do appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

We are all set to get back in the PCT at Walker Pass this am. After a few days in Kernville we are fresh and ready to tackle the last 50 miles of what is called the desert portion of the hike. We expect to be in Kennedy Meadows in 3 or 4 days where we will then prepare for the high sierras! We liked Kernville. We had drinks at the two saloons/bars, ate at MCNallys (thanks hgiles for tip), ate at Ewing’s (above the river), and just relaxed. I bought my Cali fishing license (ouch) and I am all set to go.

This is the cure from Ewing’s deck. We were supposed to get to see rafts tump, but the rapids (maybe a 3), we’re no match for the big rafts. Only thumping was a handful of tubers. Fir a Memorial Day weekend, the town was vibrant, but low key… it actually worked for us.

The back pack seems heavy this am. Despite being closer to sierras, water is still an issue the next 50 miles of the PCT as the trail is on the dry side of the range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F2BE9203-91EC-408D-8A68-210B4557B8FF.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	24685705
                        Attached Files

Comment

Glad you enjoyed Kernville. It’s a nice little town to relax. The water is pretty low but when it’s running well, the white water rafting is excellent.

I was up past Kernville earlier this month fishing and it was 37 degrees in the morning.

Comment

We have made it into Kennedy Meadows (mile 702) and are hanging at the Kennedy Meadows General Store among with a slew of other hikers. We are all re-supplying and getting prepped to go into the high sierras. Bear canisters are required …. So we are in process of trying to figure out how 8 days of food will cram in. I also received my fly fishing supplies.. I set aside a very very light rod… like #1. I got it in a trade years ago… I think a 7 inch Golden Trout might break it.. but since it is here, this is what I will use.

Name:	3385750D-EAC0-4EAD-BDE9-0165312B2657.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	24685889

Comment

Good stuff! Don't forget fishing pics!

Comment

Pics from last stretch and Kennedy Meadows. Lots of climbing, but it was worth it. I just got good Intel on trout from a former Parks guy. I am good to go!

Name:	F1CE318E-1DC8-4DCC-92DF-6BEE1FABA654.jpeg
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	24685894

Name:	6213F0E8-BE2B-4D51-991A-15FA6D24840A.jpeg
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	24685895

Name:	C122ED4F-D341-4C6A-8C34-11AD13BC1359.jpeg