Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
    Holy cow! How did I miss this?!?

Will be following, and I'll find you on IG. I was talking to someone the other day about how BA your AT thread was. Hard to believe that was 6 years ago!
    Glad you are in! Yup… 6 years. I feel those 6 years every day out here!!! I would say 70% of all hikers out here are under 30! It’s tough to try to keep up with the young ones, but we are making it. No water stretches can be a real pain. Yesterday was a 13.5 mile day and only water was a water cache (well stocked). The trick is camel up at these water sources, then haul out as much as one can carry.

Comment

Awesome deal on the guy providing drinks. Hiking community seems cool.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        Awesome deal on the guy providing drinks. Hiking community seems cool.
        It’s pretty amazing. Sone of the trail angels have hiked, but many (so far) have not. The man yesterday said he was a fan of hikers. We also relied on water caches in the last stretch. These are maintained by angels and angels groups. The one in the picture is a barrel cache. There was a dirt road nearby by…. It appears they restock it from there. They must have some decent off road vehicles to get out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	62D59B02-C917-458A-8D0E-098F17116AD1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	24685590

Comment

Curious, how do y’all know where the next water will be? I figure word of mouth or some app. It’d be a pain to spend the time to stock up only to find ample water right down the trail.
          I love following along! Thanks for the updates!

Comment

Still following this. I love this thread! If I remember correctly, your wife did not do the AT with you. How did you talk her into this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              Curious, how do y’all know where the next water will be? I figure word of mouth or some app. It’d be a pain to spend the time to stock up only to find ample water right down the trail.
              I love following along! Thanks for the updates!
              There is an app. It was Gut Hooks and recently has changed the name to Far Out. There are all of the major trails available. It is gps oriented, so you know exactly where you are. Way-points and comments provide info. Still… word of mouth for the most updated info is used. Sone of these water sources are drying up fast in desert. Rumors ahead of a cache that is empty. This is relevant info. Far Out also shares elevation info and distances to way-points. I did not use this on AT (was still brand new then). Everyone used it now…. It’s a game changer.

Comment

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                  Still following this. I love this thread! If I remember correctly, your wife did not do the AT with you. How did you talk her into this one?
                  Correct.. I went solo on AT. Doing PCT was her idea! I did not have to sell her. It’s def a different hike managing 2 peoples needs, paces, emotions and tolerances, but so far we are doing good. We are remarkably well aligned on how we are hiking this trail.

Comment

Cool thread and adventure. Thanks for bringing us along.

Comment

Awesome to do this hike through you!! I will definitely be following along as I did for the AT one. I'll be sure to follow on IG as well.

Comment

Really enjoying this. Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have enjoyed your travels. Seeing pics of things most do not experience. Keep the updates coming as many have said. Stay safe and happy travels.

Comment

So cool. Can I live vicariously thru you for the next 5 months? Happy trails.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for following along! We jumped off trail to take break. We are going to a town called Kernville. We will chill there for Fri snd sat and then get a ride to Walker Pass Sunday to do the last 50 miles to Kennedy Meadows and the beginning of the big pay-off… the Sierras. This side trip will cut a few miles off the desert for us, but we see okay with missing a few Joshua Trees.

Here is a thought that rattles through my head as I hike…. There is the AT and there is the PCT and CDT. Those are the big 3. Below that there are the Colorado Trail, Vermont Long Trail, Florida Trail and Jon Muir Trail. Why is there NOT a Texas Trail??? Crazy conversations are held as one hikes… hikers from all over the country and world all agree…. A Texas Trail would be awesome (based on how the scenery would change and the potential for a good long journey). My fantasy Texas Trail starts in north/east Tx (Caddo Lake) and ends at the top of Quadalupe Peak or Big Bend. This great state needs something like this.

Comment

Enjoy your time in Kernville. It's a neat little town. I go up there fairly often for trout fishing. While your there, go to McNally's and grab a burger! They are great.

Comment

Working...
                                X