Which 300 Blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which 300 Blackout

Alright, there has been some threads recently about the 300 BO. So, if you are here to talk schitt I don't want to hear it. Please go somewhere else.

For those of you that have a 300 BO and love it and use it all the time, I would like to hear from you.

So, I am looking at some BO's and have been curious about an "ideal" barrel length. If there is one, or perhaps I'm just an idiot. I know that obviously the longer the barrel the more accurate you will be. I am on the fence between the pistols and the rifles. I like the idea of a 10.5" barrel or a 8" barrel, for the up close and personal but then, how accurate are they out 100-150 yards. I also love the idea of a 16" barrel or longer to be able to reach out and touch something.

What was your deciding factor for what you bought? For what it's worth, it will be suppressed and will be topped off with a Sightmark Wraith.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I’d get a pistol. I have two 300bo I strictly use for plinking (when ammo was cheap) a 16” aero and an 8.5” psa pistol I can ring steel out to 300 with both having said that if you’re hunting with it supressed you’ll want to use supersonic loads for better results. The 16” aero is getting a new 6.5 Grendel barrel and bolt on Friday.

Comment

I always wanted it to be my ranch rifle, so a 16" barrel was a no-brainer.

I've killed pigs and coyotes out to 300 yards, no problem.

I shoot 110gn TAC-TX over H110

A fixed 6x SWFA is my optic.

Comment

I have the Ruger Ranch rifle 16" barrel and shoot the Barnes 110 gr Tac-TX like gummi. It is my truck rifle. I have shot coyotes and javelina out to about 225 yards.

Comment

I have an SBR .300 BO with an 8" barrel, that I mainly use for plinking around the farm. I can hit paper at 100yds with a Trijicon red dot sight, but to say it is precise would be a stretch. Probably just my skills as a shooter. I plan to eventually suppress as well and am curious how the subsonic rounds will affect target shooting.

Comment

It was designed to be optimal in a 9” barrel.

Mine is a 9”.

You’ve seen my thoughts in the other posts but now you know ideal barrel length

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              It was designed to be optimal in a 9” barrel.

Mine is a 9”.

You’ve seen my thoughts in the other posts but now you know ideal barrel length
              lol, yup, saw those comments. That was a good popcorn eatin thread!!

Comment

Not sure I am much help as mine is a bolt gun, not AR platform. I have the REM700 5R with the 16.5" that I shoot suppressed. Great gun, accurate, and just fun to hunt or plink with. Hunt with the 110gr TACTX and play with various sub loads for fun. I am a huge fan of this caliber. Good luck on barrel length and regardless of length, it should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                  I’d get a pistol. I have two 300bo I strictly use for plinking (when ammo was cheap) a 16” aero and an 8.5” psa pistol I can ring steel out to 300 with both having said that if you’re hunting with it supressed you’ll want to use supersonic loads for better results. The 16” aero is getting a new 6.5 Grendel barrel and bolt on Friday.
                  I love my Daniel Defense m4PDW, I believe it has an 8.5" barrel.

It's laid down hogs, although your mileage may vary based on the other threads.

It's a great truck gun. Waiting on my tax stamp to be approved and it'll go suppressed.

Comment

8-10” is my preference. And short stiff barrels are accurate, you just lose velocity (but who cares with a 300BO).

Comment

7" to 9" depending on use.
                      If I think I need a longer barrel than that I'll get a different caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                        Alright, there has been some threads recently about the 300 BO. So, if you are here to talk schitt I don't want to hear it. Please go somewhere else.

For those of you that have a 300 BO and love it and use it all the time, I would like to hear from you.

So, I am looking at some BO's and have been curious about an "ideal" barrel length. If there is one, or perhaps I'm just an idiot. I know that obviously the longer the barrel the more accurate you will be. I am on the fence between the pistols and the rifles. I like the idea of a 10.5" barrel or a 8" barrel, for the up close and personal but then, how accurate are they out 100-150 yards. I also love the idea of a 16" barrel or longer to be able to reach out and touch something.

What was your deciding factor for what you bought? For what it's worth, it will be suppressed and will be topped off with a Sightmark Wraith.

not always true. barrel length affects velocity (longer barrel provides more time for powder to burn & push bullet). velocity affects energy and bullet drop, so for a hunting gun you want to find the right balance. plenty of accurate short barrels out there. choose a bullet, check the energy levels at the ranges you want to shoot in various barrel lengths and go from there.

Comment

Get both!

I have a 16" Ruger American, and 8.5" pistol, and have killed with both at 100 yards.

an 8.5" with a 1:5 twist would the best option in my opinion. with the 1:5 you can stabilize heavy subs and shoot accurate with the supers.

I shoot 190's out of the 16" and 110's out of the pistol.

Jason Slocum

Comment

Which 300 Blackout

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post

Others have answered but I’ll throw my thoughts in. I wouldn’t waste my time on a 300 Blackout in anything over a 9” barrel. There just isn’t a huge difference in velocity between 8-9” and 16” barrels, typically less than 200fps. The blackout uses magnum pistol powder so it all burns in short barrels.

Longer barrel doesn’t necessarily mean better accuracy. This is a picture of a group my 8” 300 blackout shot at 300 yards. Disregard the flyer, I dialed wrong on the first shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Mike D; 04-28-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Slocum View Post
                              Get both!

I have a 16" Ruger American, and 8.5" pistol, and have killed with both at 100 yards.

an 8.5" with a 1:5 twist would the best option in my opinion. with the 1:5 you can stabilize heavy subs and shoot accurate with the supers.

I shoot 190's out of the 16" and 110's out of the pistol.

Jason Slocum

I’ve never even seen a 1:5 twist barrel. My SBR has a 1:8 and it shoots 110 grain supers and 220 grain subs with equal accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X