TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Any more pics, or details? I don't know squat about bees, but I sure like reading this thread.
    Uhhh! You need to start Dale! Get you a Brood box, a lid for the box and a bottom board. Do a little research on what you will need. A word of warning, it is very addictive, nothing like it.

I started in Aug of 2019 with one FlowHive, I now have 13 hives as of today.

Comment

old comb and a little lemon grass oil is what we have very good luck with trapping bees

Comment

Hereā€™s the pics from Calvin:

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanx Bisch

I could not find the Queen, but I thought I heard her "toot" inside the hive.
          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 04-26-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I have a swarm at the house if anyone is interested in it. About 30 miles west of Beaumont in Winnie. Been here for 2 days.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
              I have a swarm at the house if anyone is interested in it. About 30 miles west of Beaumont in Winnie. Been here for 2 days.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
              Hang tight. My son might want it. If I had another hive, I would be on my way.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                Glad I could help. Might want to keep an eye on that limb another swarm could very well call that home again. A good rain should wash some of her sent away though.

The few remaining bees are back on the limb and not budging. About the size of a baseball. Iā€™m pretty sure you got the queen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Any more pics, or details? I don't know squat about bees, but I sure like reading this thread.

Seemed like a pretty simple process. He had a box with comb slots in it. Sprayed down with warm sugar water. Climbed up to the swarm and literally scooped them onto the comb and then slid that into the box. Rinse and repeat until we were sure he had the queen and majority of the bees were going into the box with her.

I was standing back a good ways watching. Bees are a phobia of mine. I can handle snakes, spiders, scorpions, you name it. Bees are a no go for me. I still got smoked on the forehead by one. Lol.
                  Posting pics from tapatalk, hopefully they are sized correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good set of pics! Nice capture

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                      Too small a swarm trap? I’ve got a couple drops of lemon grass oil at the entrance.

I've read a few studies that suggest smaller nuc-sized swarm traps preferentially catch africanized or africanized-hybrid strains. They tend to like smaller hive sizes. I use full sized deeps on my traps and stay away from nucs. Something to think about.

Look under "Box Volume" section

Comment

TBH Bee Keepers

Neighbor went back tonight to check on the swarm we caught last weekend and open an entrance for them. Had this big swarm in a tree back by the bee yard. For reference the limb on the left is about 4ā€. diameter. Going or coming they needed catching. Fortunately they were only about 6ā€™ off the ground. We turned a syrup tub upside down, put a yeti on top of that and set a deep bee box on the yeti. This put us about a foot under swarm. My buddy gave it one big downward shake and Iā€™d say >99% of the bees were in the box. I put a shallow box with drawn out frames on top of it and we ratcheted it close. Easy evening fun. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Last edited by Roscoe; 04-27-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Heck yeah!

Comment

Splitting a hive question.
                            I have a double deep brood box hive. If I split that into to two hives. Would I still get plenty of honey? Is it just my bad thinking of having to run double deep plus honey supper?

Comment

Too many variables on this one, but in my opinion if you split now it could very well effect your honey crop. With that said some bees build up faster than others, so this is how we learn, if you want to try the split go for it. If honey is your main goal, leave it alone, maybe try to pick up a swarm and gain your 2nd hive. Good luck

Comment

With a drought-busting rain and warm temps forecasted, thoughts on it triggering a strong flow? I haven't seen much yet here in Boerne

Comment

Working...
                                X