• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish our lease had that rule.

Comment

That’s a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
        You shoot and fail to recover then that's your buck for the year. You cannot shoot another. Fair? Do you have similar?
        Been a unwritten rule on many places that I have hunted. I would have no problem with the rule being a part of the signed/executed set of lease bylaws.

Rwc

Comment

Rule is fair and should be up to the discretion of the lease members, and property owner.

I can see both sides of this rule and can think of a few instances where I would and wouldn't enforce this rule. That being said it's very situational and too many variables involved for me to not enforce it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
            A clean miss?
            A grazing or other obviously non-lethal shot?
            It not being law and completely arbitrarily made up?

However, if everyone agrees to it before joining/before the season though that's another thing.
            I'm assuming the OP means the animal was it but "failure to recover" as in blood/hair/tissue was fond or impact was made.

"A clean miss" should be none of the following hair/blood,tissue and if agreed by other members as a miss. keep hunting.

"A grazing or other obviously non-lethal shot?" That counts as a dead animal till proven other wise. I don't know about you but I've shot an animal I thought was dead to rights until we had him on camera a week later with a small flesh wound. Unless a filmed hunt there's no way of knowing if an animal is wounded or dead.

"It not being law and completely arbitrarily made up?

There are millions of lease rules that aren't laws.

Comment

On the one hand, it's a good rule that protects quality bucks and incentivizes hunters to practice, take reasonable shots within their skill level, and work at trying to recover wounded bucks. On the other hand, if it happens enough that you need this rule, you might just need some more competent hunters on the lease.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                Draw blood and that’s your buck 100%

If he shows back up then back at him.
                This

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  I like the rule, but I also think it will lead to people not admitting to shooting a animal and not giving it the effort it takes to track one. I like to think a lease member wouldnt do that, but we all know there is someone who will.

Yeah, I think it would bring out dishonesty in some. Big deer make some people do stupid stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ag View Post
                    Not a bad rule but there is a danger in having it on some leases. If someone shoots and does not think it is a good shot they may not want to tell anyone they shot. Instead of asking for help to look they may just keep it a secret and not look as long. It depends on trust and who you are hunting with.
                    Yep....

Had it & be prepared to hear “I shot a hog that ran off” or “I heard the shot too...it came from behind my stand.”

And that’s just fir the rifle guys...the bow guys just show up a hour later than normal.

Comment

We have that rule,we can shoot again if deer is seen alive on someones camera,does not have to be same deer we shoot the 2nd time

Comment

Thought everyone had this rule, who knew? We certainly do and I like it.

Comment

Nope, not on my lease. **** happens. I won't shut someone down for that... unless it happens again... Our contract with the land owner requires us to call in a tracking dog for any bucks shot/lost that leave a blood trail. If you have to impose a rule to your hunters that they be perfect, you're being unreasonable in my estimation. Been managing leases for almost 50 years. Only had it become an issue once. The guy was not invited back the next year...

If you recruit good people, you won't have a problem. They (we) won't be perfect, but we will be sprotsmen and women that respect the animals we hunt.

Comment

You shoot and fail to recover then that's your buck for the year. You cannot shoot another. Fair? Do you have similar?
                            Yep, that's the rule. Goes for all critters.

Comment

That's the way we do it and it works well. Member gets to shoot again if deer is seen alive and there is proof. He's hunting that deer though unless somebody else kills him. Everybody is on board with it because it makes folks practice and holds folks accountable for half-assing it. We have a good pop of deer but we still don't have enough "trophies" for everybody to poke a hole in one never to be seen again and shoot another one.
                              Last edited by Smart; 12-07-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Go to a paid outfitter hunt and wound an animal. Hair, blood or any sign of a hit animal, you pay and hunt is over.

For the people who don't like the rule, explain why outfitters go by it...

I like the rule and have been on leases where it was a rule. If you didn't like it, you didn't have to pay your money and you could hunt somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X