No announcement yet.

Do’s and Dont’s Texas State/San Marcos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The campus area was deserted today. Lot's of places closed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JACK750 View Post
      Mamacitas is a good mexican food spot..
      It may be good but it is nowhere near the level of Herbert's or Garcia's.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
        So a little speculation but I believe that Aquarena Springs was just going downhill and not making money. I hadn't been there in years.
        The University has tons of money and has been buying up a lot of property in and around town for years. The University bought Aquarena Springs and the 9-hole golf course next door. The University shut down the touristy stuff at Aquarena Springs and is supposed to be using it as part of their university research and such.
        They left the 9-hole golf course pretty much as is until it flooded really bad. All the golf carts were ruined and the pro shop was under water. I believe this was caused by the 2015 Memorial Day flood but I may be mixed up on when it happened. The University left the golf course closed down for quite a while and they are just now wrapping up a project of creating soccer fields on that property.
        That's about what I have heard. They bought the place more of a land investment rather than keeping it running. The buying point of turning it into a new curriculum major of Hotel & Restaurant Mgmt like they have at U o Houston.

I swam in the show for a few years. Best job ever even considering getting paid below minimum wage since it was considered seasonal employment.

Beast kegs were $30 back then. Just needed six people to throw a party for $5 a piece.

Summer school was nothing but fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          It may be good but it is nowhere near the level of Herbert's or Garcia's.

Agreed 100%.

Comment

Typical Aggie response. Both of mine graduated and did well. Maybe not as great as the Aggies with basket weaving degrees. Good kids do well, I'm sure yours will.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              I didn't think of Jacks being closed. I loved that place in College.
              Floyd passed last year.

New owners have kept the spirit but have really made some decent changes to the place.

If you're ever around I'll buy you a beer

Comment

Do’s and Dont’s Texas State/San Marcos

Some of my favorite Walkable/Bus Transport from campus housing food places:

- Grins (lunch/dinner)
                - Dos Gatos Bakery (breakfast)
                - Gil’s Broiler (Burgers and Mansky Rolls)
                - Alvin Ords (sub sandwiches)
                - Italian Garden (lunch/dinner)
                - Tap Room (best burger in town)

Campus is pretty safe minus the normal sporadic car break ins.

Still wouldn’t walk alone late at night.

University Golf Course is cheap to play with student ID

Cheatham Street Warehouse is a must for live music and is now owned by Randy Rogers.

I was on the river almost everyday. We bought kayaks and kept them on the patio of our dorm. Always had snorkel gear, Hawaiian sling, fishing rods, and kayak.

Things I wouldn’t do:

Don’t drink and drive!!!!!

Do not host a Hawaiian themed party in your dorm room complete with an inflatable pool full of water and college women sipping trash can punch.

Don’t spear fish west of I-35 in San Marcos River. Game Wardens frown upon it. Even if it’s only tilapia.

Don’t shoot deer from back yards or duplex garages off of Craddock Ave with crossbows.

Do not set off dry ice water bottle bombs in campus parking garages to see how many car alarms you can set off. University PD will draw down their gun on you. Hard to explain this situation to parents and hall director.

Do not ride dorm elevators in a sombrero and cowboy boots, only. Clothing isn’t optional.

Do not throw water balloons off the top of the dorms at passerby’s. It will knock them down on contact.

Ok now that I covered freshman year.... [emoji51][emoji51][emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by brunner; 08-14-2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Alvin Ords is NOT sub sandwiches.

If you wouldn't walk alone at night in San Marcos you must be a scardy cat.

The 9 hole golf corse is no longer.

Comment

As has been said, Herbert's for Mexican food
                    Gil's Broiler for a Mansky Roll (will make you throw rocks at a Cinnabon)

Comment

Worth the drive over to Lockhart for BBQ. Sausage at Kruetz is as good as it gets. Grab a box and take it to your neighbors. You’ll be the quarantine hero.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                        Stay away from any place with .05 cent nite pitchers and $5 drink and drown !!! Oh wait that was during my time '87-'90
                        Dang I was there right behind you but I stayed a little longer. 90-97

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
                          Worth the drive over to Lockhart for BBQ. Sausage at Kruetz is as good as it gets. Grab a box and take it to your neighbors. You’ll be the quarantine hero.
                          San Marcos BBQ is just as good or better.

Hays County BBQ
                          San Marcos BBQ (the old Southwest Market building and pit)
                          Blacks

If you're going to drive 20 minutes from SM for bbq go to City Market in Luling.

Comment

Good GPAs in the Fall, bad GPAs in the Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                              Things I wouldn’t do:

Do not host a Hawaiian themed party in your dorm room complete with an inflatable pool full of water and college women sipping trash can punch.

Don’t spear fish west of I-35 in San Marcos River. Game Wardens frown upon it. Even if it’s only tilapia.

Don’t shoot deer from back yards or duplex garages off of Craddock Ave with crossbows.

Do not set off dry ice water bottle bombs in campus parking garages to see how many car alarms you can set off. University PD will draw down their gun on you. Hard to explain this situation to parents and hall director.

Do not ride dorm elevators in a sombrero and cowboy boots, only. Clothing isn’t optional.

Do not throw water balloons off the top of the dorms at passerby’s. It will knock them down on contact.

Ok now that I covered freshman year.... [emoji51][emoji51][emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Ok...out with it! There’s some funny stories in here! Don’t leave us hanging!

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                                Good GPAs in the Fall, bad GPAs in the Spring.

3.0 in the fall, 1.0 in the spring.

2.0 & go freshman year was the unwritten standard to shoot for.

Comment

Working...
                                X