Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wish i had a nickle for every beer i had in moravian hall

Comment

My grandparents on my fathers side all spoke Czech. My father still does a lot of the time. He still lives in Ennis and has a lot of friends in the area that commonly speak Czech as well. I got a new pup about this time last year and he decided that she should speak Czech too. So,, most of her commands are in Czech, with some English and a couple of Spanish words too so I can say she is trilingual.

Comment

Danimal, what is your father's last name.. i live in Ennis..

Comment

Bill Vavra, lives between Alma and Oak Grove.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
            Regarding Czech music. . . . . growing up in eastern Williamson county, we have a family with the last name of Vrazel. Their kin started a pretty popular polka band . . . .the Vrazel Polka Band. Back in the day, they used to play at a place about a half mile from where my folks live . . .Moravian Hall in Corn Hill. My dad said that when they first started playing it was like when Led Zepelin released their first album in 1969 . . .mass hysteria. Pretty funny stuff . . . .
            IMO, they were by far the best polka band around, or at least the best that i have ever heard. We used to go see them all the time at the East Bernard Kolache Fest. What a blast! It was really ashame when they retired but man they were good. I might be wrong on this and ill have to check for sure but i think they all lived in Buckholts Texas and still do. I will actuall be up there this weekend for a family reunion. All my mothers side of the family is from there. Our own BubbaBowhunter lives there too!

Jak se Mas!!!!

Comment

One of my fondest early memories is going to my grandmothers house (Petrash) and the smell of fresh kolaches coming out of the oven as we walked in the door. Still have a hard time finding kolaches as good as she made. Most of them out there are cr@p...

Other grandparents would make headsausage (Jitrnice) I still make up a batch every once in a while. One of my other favorites she would make would be liver dumplings.... ( I still make that once in a whlle when the wife and daughter are not home)
              Last edited by Aggiebow88; 06-10-2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Jak je to visi?

I'm in about the same boat as everyone else. Grandmother use to play 88 or 84 once a week with all their friends and all they would speak is Czech. Most of those friends are now in a higher place and my Grandmother speaks it less and less.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                  Cheez's post about German got me to thinking a bit.
                  Excellent thread Glad I stimulated your brain a bit I've enjoyed reading it.

My Grampa emigrated from Germany in 1928 when he was 18. He didn't speak a lick of English at the time. He learned after he got here. My memory is kind of fuzzy but I believe the Nuns helped the immigrants learn the language back then. Until his dying day he spoke with a heavy German accent. Even in a small community full of German immigrants he was known as Dutch His real name was Alphonse and he ran a dairy for almost 50 years. RIP Grampa!

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  On that note, what other events/festivals are there that celebrate Czech or German themes?

Try Muenster's Germanfest. It is only about 2 hours from you. Check out the music in the Tanzhalle. I think their attendance is around 15,000 per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                    I do a lot of fishing with Mark Vinklarek. He is from the big town of Cistern
                    Heck, I might be related to him somehow or another. I'd have to know who his parents/grandparents are though, to know for sure. Mark doesn't ring a bell though.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow View Post
                      IMO, they were by far the best polka band around, or at least the best that i have ever heard. We used to go see them all the time at the East Bernard Kolache Fest. What a blast! It was really ashame when they retired but man they were good. I might be wrong on this and ill have to check for sure but i think they all lived in Buckholts Texas and still do. I will actuall be up there this weekend for a family reunion. All my mothers side of the family is from there. Our own BubbaBowhunter lives there too!

Jak se Mas!!!!
                      You are right. They are from Buckholtz. My father-in-law grew up there. He was a Kurtz.

Comment

My dad and all my aunts and uncles still speak Czech. Me and my cousins are first generation that do not. My dad didn't learn English until 1st grade as a few have mentioned. When my grandfather went senile, he reverted to Czech only. My dad is from Praha, Tx and they have a HUGE czech festival there every August 15th, no matter what day that is. I know a few words, definitely more than Breezy !!! News flash people in the old country speak a little different than Tx Czechs, guess kinda like TexMex vs. formal Spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                          Glad you started this thread. Since joining TBH I've always detected a strong Czech presence and personally think it's cool. I'm not really sure what my true heritage is (German probably) but am fascinated by the Czech culture. We always make it a point to go to West Fest each year and try to attend the polka festival in Ennis as well. On that note, what other events/festivals are there that celebrate Czech or German themes?
                          we go to fredericksburg for Octoberfest. it is the first weekend of october( i know it is the opening weekend of bow season usually), but i go with the family. i think there is an event in new braunsfels, not sure when though.

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal View Post
                            Bill Vavra, lives between Alma and Oak Grove.
                            he probably lives not too far from me. i live in the Oak Grove area.

Comment

[QUOTE=simek;2575177]Amen to that. My wife has been to Prague for work . . .was back on 1998. She claims it is the most beautiful city she's ever been to. My dad was there in the military . . . .he said it reminded him of how it was in the US growing up . . . like it was 20 years behind, but familiar. I mean to go back . . .maybe when my pending man child can travel . . .gonna take dad with me so he can translate.

A little off topic, but Prague has the most incredibly beautiful women I've ever seen. I'm partial to South American women and thought Israel was the best, but if I'm ever single again, I'm headed to Prague and staying.

Comment

Not Czech Myself......

but worked for several Czech gentlemen in machine shops around Texas years ago. I don't know why, but Czech men made great machinists (and great bosses too). Some of the hardest working people I've ever come across.
                                All of them were the sons of Czech immigrants who came to Texas early in the 20th century. They all spoke Czech fluently. And I always thought it was a hoot to listen to them speak English with a Czech AND a Texas accent....both at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X