Solar DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
    How long have you had the system and what has the real life output looked like? Do you have a controller/monitor?

What is your aiming like? Do you adjust the panels multiple times a year to follow the sun?

I haven't found prices that cheap on a system, I was seeing a little over $1/kw. Where did you buy the panels from?

After each microinverter it is AC, did you combine those wires and simply run into your breaker box?

Appreciate the help.
    Originally posted by tpepper70 View Post
    Can you explain to a very interested newbie what all your system will run/energize? Whole house? Just fridge/lights? We are fixing to build a new house, downsizing, and I've always been interested in going solar, but have never researched it much. I could easily do something like this. Thanks

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    First, I'm "grid tie". I push about 40 amps directly into my service panel through a cutoff switch. Pedernales has bi-directional meters and anything I don't consume at that moment in time is put on the grid and I draw my electrons back when I'm not producing. So, in other words, I don't energize any specific item. If the grid went down, I'd be able to run about 40 amps (at noon, lol) of stuff. I have no battery system.

Aiming is due south 25 degrees. I played around with the nrel calculator for optimal angles and that was about as steep as I wanted to get so I could reach to clean and it still provides near optimal output. You can tweak for summer or winter then the other suffers. It's really a compromise no matter what. You could by those adjustable posts but it's expensive and by my calculations it is impossible to recoup the cost on a small system.

My QS1s are currently two separate Alternating Current strings of 20A each to two 20A breakers in my main with simple knife cutoffs. As mentioned in my above post, I'm going to move my array over behind the barn so it is less visible. I'll have to cut down some big cedars, but no loss there, lol. When I fire it back up, I'll be putting a 60A sub-panel on the array to combine the two strings and run a single 40ish amp feed through the back of my barn to the service panel there. That is a 125A panel coming from my 320A main at the house so it is more than capable of carrying the load back to that panel without overloading. I'll probably lose 5% from the distance but I'm not that worried about the loss and I can always add more panels behind the barn.

As far as prices, I ordered them in bulk from a wholesale outfit and picked them up myself. You can't order from the companies that do the installs as they mark up the panels. 400W solar panels at the wholesale level are $125-$135 per panel plus tax. Double that from the installers...

Comment

good info and write up. Subscribed.

Comment

This couldn't come at a better time. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm on Pederinales as well!

Comment

Tagged for later. Thanks for the breakdowns and info

Comment

Excellent detailed summary of this important technology. You had me at “If you are pushing back more power than you are pulling during the day, the meter runs in reverse". Your solar energy system likely got a lot of us thinking how we can get in on something like this. Thanks for posting.

Comment

great detailed info

Comment

Thanks for the write up. We are in the process of doing this as well. Was told by our power supplier that Federal laws expire this year which will cut the rate the power company pays you in half if not in this year or if you change the system down the road.

Who was the bulk wholesaler? We are looking at purchasing 50-60 panels.

Thanks again

Comment

Tagging for the cabin.

Comment

Great information. I never knew it was so inexpensive.

Couple of questions.

1. Can you add batteries at a later date if you decide and they become more inexpensive?

2. Would you feel comfortable mounting them on the roof of a barn?

I am going to be building soon and I would love to at minimum prep for solar, but possibly cover the roof of my barn with panels as to not have them on my home and not on the way on the yard or land.

Thx

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Terrific post. 40 amps will run quite a bit but as you pointed out you are just trying to generate enough to cover your bill and then pay for your equipment.

how hard was it to find the wholesaler that would talk to you? if i missed it, who did you work through to buy the panels?

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                        First, I'm "grid tie". I push about 40 amps directly into my service panel through a cutoff switch. Pedernales has bi-directional meters and anything I don't consume at that moment in time is put on the grid and I draw my electrons back when I'm not producing. So, in other words, I don't energize any specific item. If the grid went down, I'd be able to run about 40 amps (at noon, lol) of stuff. I have no battery system.

Aiming is due south 25 degrees. I played around with the nrel calculator for optimal angles and that was about as steep as I wanted to get so I could reach to clean and it still provides near optimal output. You can tweak for summer or winter then the other suffers. It's really a compromise no matter what. You could by those adjustable posts but it's expensive and by my calculations it is impossible to recoup the cost on a small system.

My QS1s are currently two separate Alternating Current strings of 20A each to two 20A breakers in my main with simple knife cutoffs. As mentioned in my above post, I'm going to move my array over behind the barn so it is less visible. I'll have to cut down some big cedars, but no loss there, lol. When I fire it back up, I'll be putting a 60A sub-panel on the array to combine the two strings and run a single 40ish amp feed through the back of my barn to the service panel there. That is a 125A panel coming from my 320A main at the house so it is more than capable of carrying the load back to that panel without overloading. I'll probably lose 5% from the distance but I'm not that worried about the loss and I can always add more panels behind the barn.

As far as prices, I ordered them in bulk from a wholesale outfit and picked them up myself. You can't order from the companies that do the installs as they mark up the panels. 400W solar panels at the wholesale level are $125-$135 per panel plus tax. Double that from the installers...
                        I thought I'd look into solar panels and found this thread using the search function on TBH.
                        Could you post some pictures of your setup? How much does it affect your electric bill? What about a hail storm? Which wholesaler did you buy from?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                          I thought I'd look into solar panels and found this thread using the search function on TBH.
                          Could you post some pictures of your setup? How much does it affect your electric bill? What about a hail storm? Which wholesaler did you buy from?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
                          X2

Comment

I just bought 30- 250w used panels for $65 each. Purchased a 7,000W grid tie inverter. Hopefully I will get it this week.
                            Curious to see your racking set up. I am planning on building a solar carport so I can park under it and not be charged taxes for some free shade. Looking for some cheap drill stem and have some 6" c channel for the framing. I was thinking about using 6" purlin for the racking and direct bolt the panels onto it.

Comment

Only way I see it working $$$ is if you do it yourself and not having a 15+ year note. Also no holes in your roof.

Great Information!

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Working...
                                X