?? Axis Lease Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?? Axis Lease Price

I have no clue on this as I currently don't lease and I have never hunted anywhere there are axis deer. Anyway, what would be a fair price for an axis lease? I have a lead on a place that is 300 acres and supposedly covered up in axis. They don't currently lease so I'm trying to negotiate getting out there and wanting to know a ballpark fair price for each as neither of us have a clue what would be fair. I'm thinking the lease would run Feb-Aug or Sept and be for axis only or axis and pigs if the landowner wants. I don't have a huge interest in hunting axis during whitetail season as I spend just about every weekend hunting at our place. Additionally, what would be a fair amount to shoot on 300 acres? I'm thinking minimum 1 buck and 2 does but maybe double or triple that depending on how covered up they truly are. I know that may affect the price as well. Thanks for any input.

Trophy Axis bucks go around $2500 with a guide, and $250 for does. If they are covered, you can probably shoot 2-3 bucks, and 10 does. The does have 2 fawns per year, so they are constantly back filling. I would ask how many buck and does you can shoot, then offer $250/buck and $100 for the does. However, I would ask them how much they want.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
      Trophy Axis bucks go around $2500 with a guide, and $250 for does. If they are covered, you can probably shoot 2-3 bucks, and 10 does. The does have 2 fawns per year, so they are constantly back filling. I would ask how many buck and does you can shoot, then offer $250/buck and $100 for the does. However, I would ask them how much they want.
      Thanks. I don't have any details on the property and I know there are other factors like lodging, water, electricity, etc. I was thinking $2-3k but that may be a tad high unless lodging, etc is good. If there is continued interest from the other side I think I will see how much they want.

Comment

Really depends on how covered up they are. I have 100 acres in Rocksprings and seeing 30+ in a sitting isn't unusual.

Comment

I’d go in half with you if you need a partner

Comment

Axis only have one fawn a year.

Comment

It depends on how many axis there are. If they are occasionally seen, then $2-3K might be a good offer. If there are loads of them on the place, then it would be worth more. Lodging is worth more. Any good fishing on the place? If so, maybe worth more. Is the landowner providing stands and feeders and all feed, or will all of that be up to you? etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post

Gestation period for an axis deer is 227 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post

Not necessarily true.

Comment

Assuming it’s low fence I think $2,500-$3,000 is fair.

1 trophy. 1 management (unusual an old buck past his prime) and two does.

Axis travel a lot. If you start shooting up the 300 acres too much they can just leave.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Assuming it’s low fence I think $2,500-$3,000 is fair.

1 trophy. 1 management (unusual an old buck past his prime) and two does.

Axis travel a lot. If you start shooting up the 300 acres too much they can just leave.
                      It is low fence. That is about what I'm thinking as far as number of deer shot. Sounds like I'm at least ballpark on price.

Again I don't have too many details on the place other than there are a lot of axis. A friend of mine's father in law owns 300 ac of family land and his FIL's sister owns the adjacent 300 ac. I guess that makes her his aunt. I would be looking to lease the aunt's place for just axis as they don't hunt so overall it would be 600 ac as far as the herd goes and I would have access to 300 ac. My friend gets to hunt FIL's place but is going to check with aunt to see if she would be willing to lease. Again, don't know details on lodging, etc but I know the FIL lives out there so there should at least be access to water and electricity somewhere.

I would expect to provide all my own stuff (stands, feed, etc.) but there may be stands already out there.

Comment

Since you can hunt Axis year round, expect to pay about double what a deer lease is going for in that area especially if you are able to hunt deer also.. You start blasting away with rifles and you won't see the axis for a while. If you bowhunt instead of rifle hunt, they will not be as scarce, but will still be extremely weary.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                          Since you can hunt Axis year round, expect to pay about double what a deer lease is going for in that area especially if you are able to hunt deer also.. You start blasting away with rifles and you won't see the axis for a while. If you bowhunt instead of rifle hunt, they will not be as scarce, but will still be extremely weary.
                          I'm not planning on being able to hunt deer and wouldn't really want to pay extra for that since I have several other places to hunt. My plan would be to lease it from Feb to Sept and hunt at most once a month out there or maybe even every other month as that is all I will more than likely have time for in the off season.

Comment

Working...
                          X