No announcement yet.

Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm-08 is what my kids use. They've killed plenty of deer and hogs with it.

Comment

Youth Deer Rifle - Which Caliber?

I think age and size is a factor as well. If you are starting a small five year old with a deer rifle, I’d go with a 223 due to the low recoil. If you are starting them out at ten, I’d go 7mm08 or 243 but lean towards the 7mm08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

22-250

Comment

Got my kids both Encore rifles. When shooting paper 223. Also have 30-06, 270, 25-06 barrels for them. All same optics. When I wanted more bullet weight than a 55 grain I just switched barrels. Never once did they feel recoil shooting at a target with hair. Now oth are grown and both kill most with a 22-250

Comment

My boys shot their first deer with a 243. I didn't let either one of them shoot the gun before they shot an animal. I started them shooting a 22. They practiced with the 22 until I felt like they were good enough to shoot a deer.. I did that so they wouldn't be scared of the recoil.. Youngest is still shooting the 243 but my 16 year old used my 7 mag last weekend .

Comment

Bought my daughter a 7mm-08 in a model 7. She handles it well, and the wife shoots it also.

Comment

Got a 243 and loaded 85 grain bullets for kids. Works great for deer hogs and varmints. In fact I use it most of the time if I take a gun. Almost no recoil, not very loud, and flat shooting.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jamenefee View Post
                  I grew up hunting with a 30-30 and a 243. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor now I think all three are great youth guns. I can’t see you going wrong with any of the guns mentioned though. Right now for me it comes down to bullet availability
                  Good point about ammo availability. It’s crazy right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                    I think age and size is a factor as well. If you are starting a small five year old with a deer rifle, I’d go with a 223 due to the low recoil. If you are starting them out at ten, I’d go 7mm08 or 243 but lean towards the 7mm08.

Agreed on age being a factor. My son is 7 and started out shooting a 22 then moved to a 223. He is ready to move up again. My daughter is 10 and will also use it but not nearly as much. I’ve never shot a 7mm-08 but will definitely add it to the possibility list. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                      7mm-08. Start them on the Hornady light loads, they are about the same energy and recoil as a 243. They can grow into the full power 7mm-08 loads.
                      This they can use it from now on.

Comment

Both the kids shoot .243’s. We went that route because it had the widest variety of ammo that was easy to find at the time. They’re both ready to upgrade now. Maybe a 6.5 or 7mm-08 or .308 or 25-06 would have been a better option to stay with the same gun as they got older. One of them is very recoil sensitive and loves the Creedmoor with a brake.

Comment

My boys love my 25-06 they have been shooting it since they were 6. They both have their own rifles chambered in 243 and my oldest has a 6.5 creed but they always seem to grab my Tikka.

Comment

So many try to start out with a smaller caliber because or recoil. If you would try a Pachmayr Decelerator Pad you could buy them a gun they could use from now on.
                            You will not realize the difference they make . I swear by them. My small framed wife has one on her 30:06 and handles like a Pro.

Comment

6.5 Grendel

We built Anakin's in AR format. It was a great father/son project and helped him learn how to disassemble and clean it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

We started with an AR in .223 because of the ability to shorten up the stock, and it had a good triggers. Bad triggers are especially bad for tiny hands. I wasn’t crazy about the performance of the 223, so we built him a 6.5 Grendel, and it has worked extremely well. He’s killed everything he’s looked at with it, 4 or 5 deer, and 10-12 pigs. I shoot it all the time as well, and it has been a lights out truck gun. Can not recommend it highly enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X