No announcement yet.

Deer in a cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot a doe with my bow on December 16th and quartered it into a cooler the next morning after letting it hang in the near freezing temps that night. The temperature never really climbed enough to cause much ice to melt over the next couple weeks so I just let the deer age until New Year's Day before butchering it and packing it away to the freezer. Normally I let mine go about 6 or 7 days but this one went much longer due to not having to drain water or add ice and I have to admit it's probably some of the best venison I've had.

Comment

I've left up to 20 days with no problem. 8-10 is plenty, 12-14 is usually my target.

Comment

I put mine in those cheesecloth quarters bags and ice down for up to two weeks. Drain plug out and tilted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

about a week but prefer around 3 days. no need to age for me. If it is not getting ground, it's running through the tenderizer.

Comment

What Hix said

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

14 day @ 36 degrees with skin on... just gutted

Comment

At least a week maybe 10 days..Usually on ice within an hour after the kill and then keep it drained and iced down to get the blood out. Makes all the difference..

Comment

When you leave a deer in the cooler, I assume it is quartered. Or are you leaving it in the cooler gutted with the skin on?

Comment

I aim for 5-7 day depending on what I have going on. I think the longest I've gone is 8-10 days but have no doubt that there is no problem with going longer. I just make sure the cooler is always drained of water and has ice.

Comment

Follow-up question, when you are putting it on ice after quartering it, are you putting the meat directly on the ice, or putting it in some type of game bag or ziploc bag?

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                        Follow-up question, when you are putting it on ice after quartering it, are you putting the meat directly on the ice, or putting it in some type of game bag or ziploc bag?
                        Trash bags here. I’m not keen on the color ice/water turns deer meat. It may be fine but the color oooks me out.

Comment

Skinned quarters go straight on the ice (and covered with ice) for me. I used to put in trash bags to keep "dry," until I was scolded by the owner of a very well know meat processing plant in Dallas that bags is the worst thing you can do for the meat. Harbors bacteria and doesn't allow air flow for proper aging. I must say my venison is much better tasting and the Mrs. no longer tastes the "gamey" taste she once did now that I have quit bagging the meat.

Comment

I have done a few weeks. I had a piece of ply board with a lot of holes drilled in it. I had blocks I’d put in bottom of ice chest. Fill bottom with ice deer on top of plywood. It’s red meat as long as it stays cool it is good to go

Comment

Just did 12 days on ice with no issues.

Comment

Longest is 14 days. Typical is 7.

On ice. Drain plug pulled. No bags.

Comment

Working...
                                X