No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we got another 2.2inches of rain this week, which puts us at 13.25 inches for the year. This is the wettest spring we have ever had. Can't wait to see how the antlers look this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
      Well, we got another 2.2inches of rain this week, which puts us at 13.25 inches for the year. This is the wettest spring we have ever had. Can't wait to see how the antlers look this year.

Same for my ranch. Lots of rain, and no Protein/ cotton seed consumption. Double edge sword. They have plenty to eat, but the protein content in what they are eating is not as high as the protein/Cotton seed . Love the pictures. great looking place.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
        Same for my ranch. Lots of rain, and no Protein/ cotton seed consumption. Double edge sword. They have plenty to eat, but the protein content in what they are eating is not as high as the protein/Cotton seed . Love the pictures. great looking place.

Thanks! It seems to get better and better every year due to all of the work we have put in over the past 5 years. They have definitely slowed down a bunch on the supplemental feed (protein & cottonseed), but I will take lots of rain and low supplemental feed consumption vs no rain and lots of supplemental feed any and every time.

Comment

Picture of San Saba River - 5/13/2016

Here's a picture of the San Saba river on our place. It's flowing really well and is really green out there.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	San Saba River_5-13-2016 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	24444297

Let's hope that the pecan and hay farmers in Mason don't pull so much water from the river this year since we have gotten so much rain this Spring. Last year, even after a record amount of rain, they still sucked the river completely dry in our area.

Comment

Velvet Pictures_5-15-2016

Here are some recent trail cam pictures. Nothing too exciting just yet. They are still not eating much protein or cottonseed because of all the rain out there.

Name:	PICT0932 (Large).jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	24444630

Name:	PICT0578 (Large).jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	24444631

Name:	PICT0395 (Large).jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24444632

Name:	PICT0382 (Large).jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	24444633

Name:	PICT0998 (Large).jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	24444634

Name:	PICT0554 (Large).jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	24444635

Name:	PICT0475 (Large).jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	24444636

Comment

Looking good, I was in Brady last Friday and the place looked great. I don't think I have ever been there and not seen 20-40 deer from the gate to the house. We saw 5 all day. They are def fat and happy right now and no need to move around.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                Looking good, I was in Brady last Friday and the place looked great. I don't think I have ever been there and not seen 20-40 deer from the gate to the house. We saw 5 all day. They are def fat and happy right now and no need to move around.
                It's funny you mention that. My twin brother and I went turkey hunting on two different weekends and we both saw one deer the entire weekend when we normally see anywhere from 10-20 when filling feeders. They are definitely fat and happy and don't have to travel much to eat well. We received some more rain today, around 1in and more to come tonight and tomorrow.
                Last edited by bgleaton; 05-18-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Have yall ever seen an Axis?

Comment

Two years ago we saw three really nice axis bucks around 100 yards from our front gate, but we've never seen them on the property. I hope one of these days we will see some on our land.

Comment

We have never had any on our place either. We are just south of the river further east of you. Really surprised there isn't more axis in the area

Comment

Are those pellets on the ground the cottonseed pellets? If so how are they working? Our deer are actually eating more protein than normal and conditions are great. Keep up the great work. I love seeing the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by stxslayer View Post
                          Are those pellets on the ground the cottonseed pellets? If so how are they working? Our deer are actually eating more protein than normal and conditions are great. Keep up the great work. I love seeing the pictures.
                          Yes, those are the cottonseed range cubes on the ground. They killed these along with the protein from deer season through the end of March, but since we have been getting lots of rain, consumption has slowed down a ton.

Comment

5/29/2016 Update

Well, my dad was at the ranch this weekend and it looks like protein consumption has increased big time. We were out there two weeks ago and they have since eaten around 600lbs out of each feeder in that time span. Here are some updated trail camera pictures. The does are really big and ready to pop and the bucks are about to start growing some G2's.

Name:	PICT0200 (Large).jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24445583

Name:	PICT0983 (Large).jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	24445584

Name:	PICT1147 (Large).jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24445585

Name:	PICT1331 (Large).jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	24445586

Name:	PICT1732 (Large).jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24445587

Name:	PICT1910 (Large).jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	24445588

Comment

Where are you picking up the cotton seed range cubes? Got a pic of the bag?

T

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                                Where are you picking up the cotton seed range cubes? Got a pic of the bag?

T
                                I buy them in Granbury on the way down at Arrow Feed.

Comment

Working...
                                X